• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
    Aim for your forehead instead.
    You'd all miss me. At least I hope so.
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Comment

• It seems to me that we focus too much on resumes...the kind of people we want are those willing to work and take risks. The questions we need to ask are less about education, but desire. If, for instance, they had one shot, or one opportunity, to naturalize in one moment, would they capture it or just let it slip?

Comment

• One of the reasons we don't have a "melting pot" anymore is that our education system has been taken over by folks who don't believe in the myths of the American founding and the uniquely American culture. A good example:http://www.weeklystandard.com/inside...rticle/2011402.

Comment

• 2. Geezer's crazy thoughts on what immigrants are and so will never cease to amaze me. It's like he's purposefully ignorant.
            What is really ignorant is to not see any difference between immigration and illegal immigration. Immigrants are not allowed on welfare for five years, and they have to be sponsored. Illegals are the ones who sneak into the US and go on welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              Remittance is not new.

And entropy isn't voting for the Democrats as he has explained numerous times, Duh!

He's trying to be dense to start a debate...
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• What's the evidence for suggesting the 'new' immigrants don't assimilate? Are there studies done that show Hispanic or Muslim or African immigrants, even by the 4th or 5th generation, barely speak English and are practicing 'foreign ways' in their homes?

And Froot does raise a good point: how do you know when someone's failed to assimilate? What's that mean, exactly? I would say English-speaking is a fair guideline but what else?

Ben Franklin deplored that Germans were allowed into the US. He felt they were incapable of assimilating. If language is a barometer - maybe he was right! German-language newspapers and schools were still common-place in the United States up until the WWI years.

Comment

• Rising anxiety in the White House that the Nunes memo is going to be a dud and wasn't worth straining relations with the FBI/DOJ. Can't imagine why...Nunes always hits it out of the park. Reported by Jonathan Swan, who's on Fox a lot. Maggie Haberman hearing same thing from her sources in WH apparently.

It IS a little curious that Trump hasn't really spoken or tweeted about it in a while. Scrolling back through his tweets...shoot...I can't even find where he brings it up. Maybe he's not super eager to attach himself to it for a reason...

Comment

• STFU
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Three of Rick Gates' attorneys abruptly withdrew from representing him today. The reasons why are under court seal. Apparently he's now only being represented by a guy who specializes in white-collar plea deals. Read into that what you will.

Comment

• okie dokie
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          What's the evidence for suggesting the 'new' immigrants don't assimilate? Are there studies done that show Hispanic or Muslim or African immigrants, even by the 4th or 5th generation, barely speak English and are practicing 'foreign ways' in their homes?
                          There isn't any right now but there is concern about the fundamental assumption that they do and that was the thrust of the link I provided up thread.

I'll admit a bias on my part from my observations of the Atlanta metro area. But, if you need to review those again, it's up a couple of posts. I don't think you can just dismiss these. It's real as far as I can tell around where I live and have lived since '96.

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          And Froot does raise a good point: how do you know when someone's failed to assimilate? What's that mean, exactly? I would say English-speaking is a fair guideline but what else?
                          Yeah, I think we all get this.

To me, this is an important question (assimilation or not) but clearly what that means is not well defined. In a practical sense, it's embracing American social and cultural ideals and following the rules laid out by legitimate authority. I provided France as an example of where unrestrained, arms open policy on immigration has created some significant security and social problems. For the French, already burdened by the cost of their social welfare state, the added cost of dealing with them over the last decade is not sustainable going forward.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I don't think Algerians (and other North African populations) brought into Europe are an apt comparison to Mexicans and other Central American immigrants in the United States Jeff. The religious divide with the domestic populace isn't there, nor is the degree of political radicalization that is parcel to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              There isn't any right now but there is concern about the fundamental assumption that they do and that was the thrust of the link I provided up thread.

I'll admit a bias on my part from my observations of the Atlanta metro area. But, if you need to review those again, it's up a couple of posts. I don't think you can just dismiss these. It's real as far as I can tell around where I live and have lived since '96.

Yeah, I think we all get this.

To me, this is an important question (assimilation or not) but clearly what that means is not well defined. In a practical sense, it's embracing American social and cultural ideals and following the rules laid out by legitimate authority. I provided France as an example of where unrestrained, arms open policy on immigration has created some significant security and social problems. For the French, already burdened by the cost of their social welfare state, the added cost of dealing with them over the last decade is not sustainable going forward.
                              Well if there's actual data to back your bias up, that's one thing. It's probably likely that high-skill individuals are better educated and thus more likely to 'assimilate', whatever that may mean. But if it's just supported by anecdotal evidence and gut instincts, then I'll refer to the gut instincts and anecdotes of generations past. Like Ben Franklin:

“Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion.”

The Irish came to America in huge numbers in the 1840's, and they were mostly illiterate and low-skilled. It was well into the 20th Century that the stigma of being Irish in good American Protestant society was really lifted. Of course they kept to themselves and stayed in their own communities...WASPy areas didn't want them. Complaining that immigrants keep to themselves too much, even while you admit neighborhood segregation used to be enforced by law, is sort of like blaming the victim.

It's easier to say "immigrants should adopt American ideals" than define what American ideals are. One you go beyond 'learn English" and "honor the Constitution", you start treading into more dangerous ethno-nationalism territory...

I know a Chinese family that moved here in the late 80's (legally). They have one daughter. The parents have both had long engineering careers in the Telcomm industry and each makes six figures. The daughter has a successful career as well. They pay their taxes and vote (more Republican than you'd maybe guess).

They all speak English fluently, the daughter has a Midwest accent, but also mainly speak Chinese while at home. They eat mainly Chinese dishes. Serve rice with every meal. Think the American propensity to put cheese on everything is disgusting. Mainly socialize with other Chinese-Americans. Don't watch or really care about sports. They're atheists.

Successfully assimilated or not? How much does it matter?

Comment

• The Irish were and are filthy poltroons. They were the scourge of Europe after civilization visited and unfortunately let some of the animals off the Island of Dr. O'Moreau.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X