Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
    LOL...I remember the "no commercials" rumors too. IDK if it was ever true, but if it was, it was pure bait. The bolded part though, is where the damage was done.

In the interest of getting cable access to as many customers as quickly as possible, cable monopolies were authorized by the FCC. Maybe a questionable decision in the eyes of some, but regardless, the bigger problem is that its taken 40 years to deregulate and reopen markets to honest, equal competition in lieu of satellite and phone lines, and in many places its STILL hasn't happened. We see the good and the bad aspects of government intervention at play.

Here in KC it has been deregulated...and this is where I roll out my tired Google Fiber tripe once again, but I do it because its poignant. GF is laying an AL v Michigan State type beatdown on Time Warner here, earning up to 80% of customers in areas of direct competition. They literally cannot get that orange fiber-op rolled out and buried fast enough to meet demand. And TW? The Down/Up speeds I was paying $55.00/mo for 2 years ago are now $15.00. Almost overnight. In parts of town where there is no GF yet? Still $50.00. maybe more now, IDK.

Like Clapton says...its in the way that you use it when it comes to regulation and deregulation.
    TW has not changed their prices where I live. And even in parts of my subdivision where AT&T is present, the prices have not changed. My neighbors satisfaction with either seem to range from "piss-poor" to "it's ok". GF will crush it in our area as well
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Google was providing 10/1 for free for 7 seven years, but I think they stopped offering that.

TW will give you 15/5 for $15.00...with their 50 cable service. You won't be able to watch Netflix on weekend nights, but its cheap.

I was going to say.. we're north of $100.. but kids watch Netflix nightly

Comment

• This could be an interesting read. An anonymous congressman pulls back the curtain.

'My main job is to keep my job, to get reelected. It takes precedence over everything,' an anonymous member of Congress writes in a new book set for May 24 release by a Minnesota publisher.

'Voters are incredibly ignorant and know little about our form of government and how it works,' the anonymous writer claims.

'It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep who crave instant gratification.'

Comment

• ...... and if you don't think times have changed, Newsweek looked back at a survey of teens where one question that was asked, "most admired person." In 1966 the list was headed by JFK and included 6 other Presidents and Helen Keller. Today among teens, most admired includes 6 entertainers and BO, the only President to make the list.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            This could be an interesting read. An anonymous congressman pulls back the curtain.

'My main job is to keep my job, to get reelected. It takes precedence over everything,' an anonymous member of Congress writes in a new book set for May 24 release by a Minnesota publisher.

'Voters are incredibly ignorant and know little about our form of government and how it works,' the anonymous writer claims.

'It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep who crave instant gratification.'

you mean tell the people what they want to hear to get them to vote for you but never have to deliver because you can point the finger at someone else is a secret?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
              I was going to say.. we're north of $100.. but kids watch Netflix nightly
              Back in the day, I could not get it to stream consistently until I "upgraded", i.e., paid more, to move from 10/1 to 15/5. That should be fast enough, assuming there isn't a whole lot of shared load from other devices. Given how TW overloaded the number of customers per distribution node however, Saturday night Netflix was an exercise in rage control. I could never fathom going all digital as I do now.

Basically, they can eat shit.

Comment

• I'm modestly disappointed Hoss isn't visibly upset every Saturday night trying to catch up on Gossip Girl.

I'm hugely disappointed that the noxious, vapid incoherencies of Hoss and Entropy aren't substantially regulated and/or criminally punished, though the cashiering they endure as Husker fans is arguably punishment enough.

Finally, it's worth noting that Hoss, Entropy and The Wizard once prayed at the altar of Cally while only Old Scribe proved smart enough to mock their hero worship. Old Scribe. Team Husker's sharpest knife bar scrapes the ground.

That is all.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Back in the day, I could not get it to stream consistently until I "upgraded", i.e., paid more, to move from 10/1 to 15/5. That should be fast enough, assuming there isn't a whole lot of shared load from other devices. Given how TW overloaded the number of customers per distribution node however, Saturday night Netflix was an exercise in rage control. I could never fathom going all digital as I do now.

Basically, they can eat shit.

When we watch Netflix on our TV you can actually see it going in and out of HD.. interestingly enough, it usually happens in the 2nd movie we watch, not the first.. =) But they don't govern their customers at all. And paying for the fastest speed they offer means.... actually, it appears to mean little.

I will say their customer service (via the phone) for problems has improved. I will give them that credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    I'm modestly disappointed Hoss isn't visibly upset every Saturday night trying to catch up on Gossip Girl.

I'm hugely disappointed that the noxious, vapid incoherencies of Hoss and Entropy aren't substantially regulated and/or criminally punished, though the cashiering they endure as Husker fans is arguably punishment enough.

Finally, it's worth noting that Hoss, Entropy and The Wizard once prayed at the altar of Cally while only Old Scribe proved smart enough to mock their hero worship. Old Scribe. Team Husker's sharpest knife bar scrapes the ground.

That is all.
                    I think the Gov't is more interested in regulating noxious, 4th quarter leaving gasbags.. hence your experience with regulation.

Comment

• Incorrect. Revise and resubmit. And please consult Old Scribe so you avoid further embarrassing errors.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

I think the Gov't is more interested in regulating noxious, 4th quarter leaving gasbags.. hence your experience with regulation.
                        Cut the man some slack...he had to get home and watch that week's episode of Queer Eye so he could rewind his VCR tape before Hoarders: Columbus aired. Those cassettes only hold some much.

Comment

And paying for the fastest speed they offer means.... actually, it appears to mean little.
                          The actual speeds varied. That 15 would sometimes clock out at 3, which doesn't even qualify as broadband. I don't I ever clocked it above 12. Now, google's will vacillate as well, but its all relative; you don't see any difference in most functions at 650MB v 900, which is the point. What you can do at 3 is...limited.

As I recall now, I started having more problems with my 15/5 hookup than I had at 10, towards the end. The different "speed" tiers go through different servers, so IMO, as more and more people were buying the "Turbo" add-on, the performance declined with the added load.

TW was a poster child for deregulation.

Comment

• I thought Old Scribe died

Comment

• MBytes or Mbits? 8 bits in a byte...

3 MB (24 Mbits) is just enough, 3 Mbits is no more than streaming music. I'm suppose to receive 60 Mbits and actually do receive more than that with Charter in non peak times.

Comment

• Whatever it is...Talent bytes.

Comment

Working...
                                X