No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Sotomayor proudly declares that women and minority judges will be biased.

Good! Diversity is our strength!

Donald Trump declares that minority judge might be biased.

Bad! How can you say that! RacistKKKHitler!

How you guys can survive this kind of cognitive dissonance on a daily basis without some kind of mental breakdown is beyond my comprehension.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      Here you go, Liberals. Condemn away. Let's see your outrage.
      I think the answer is ``what goes around comes around''. That's stupid in, as talent says, the 99% of cases when being a judge is just about applying the law''. But, bottom line, everybody wants a turn at the top, and the justifications they'll use are the justifications they'll use.

Comment

Judge Sotomayor proudly declares that women and minority judges will be biased.

How you guys can survive this kind of cognitive dissonance on a daily basis without some kind of mental breakdown is beyond my comprehension.
        I think there are many, many examples of cognitive dissonance out there. We are humans. This time it looks like a white male is the victim. Many other times in history, females and minorities were and are the victims. That's life. Nobody said it was fair.

Comment

• My point is that diversity is a means and not an end. The end is meritocracy, and whilst America does a poor job, almost every other country is doing much worse
          We disagree on how well America does as a meritocracy and whether "diversity" would have any meaningful impact on that.

And this is just so quintessentially you -- so, so, so very much you:

Either you're in a position to refute what I've said, or you should get out there and see for yourself before deciding.
          I guess I could say either you're in a position to prove what you've said your maybe you just go out there and see for yourself before deciding. But, hey, I try to be respectful and, more importantly, not use cutesy little argumentative devices designed entirely to shut down discussion.

It looks to me like you're blowing off my argument because I might not agree that ignorance comes from the left as well as the right.
          I take issue with your position primarily because, IMO, it's impossible to measure/value. As I stated in my first paragraph.

Are you saying that the only arguments you'll consider here are from people you know agree with you on things?
          Zero clue how what I posted could lead to this question.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• It's not close at all.
            Cool, man. In lieu of any argument to distinguish the statements, I'll take your word for it. Right on.

Comment

• Take a pass on it, then. What I have to say may not be worth your time.

Comment

Judge Sotomayor proudly declares that women and minority judges will be biased.

You have identified the cross I bear.

Comment

• Take a pass on it, then. What I have to say may not be worth your time.
                  It won't be worth my time to respond and vice versa. It'll be my worth the time to read even if "discussion' would be entirely fruitless though not, unfortunately, Frootless.

Comment

• Talent,
                    As you know, judges have a great deal of discretion. You also know that there are a number of issues that come up that reasonable people could disagree on. That's why it is important to have a variety of viewpoints.

It's not engineering or math. It's much squishier than that.
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I think I said as much, SLF, though I suspect it's not as "squishy" as you think. So, to follow up on what I said, you're arguing for empathy, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        That is his way. You can expect that is how he will operate as the President. All of the documents of that case should be revealed. He should also release his tax returns.
                        More likely he will send the military to arrest the judge until he gets rulings he wants.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          I think I said as much, SLF, though I suspect it's not as "squishy" as you think. So, to follow up on what I said, you're arguing for empathy, right?
                          No. I'm not arguing for "empathy" at all. I will admit it's less squishy at the trial court level but there are still issues.

Is it reasonable for a guy to fear for his life because he saw a young black man in a hoodie? I think you would get a lot of differing views on that. Many of which are valid depending on your experiences.

what is the gate-keeping role of the court versus allowing juries to sort it out?

What is the effect of having an all white jury sit in trial of an African American defendant?

At the higher levels, it is absolutely a policy making board that grapples with questions like "What's the proper role of gov't?", when does life begin, what mechanism imbues people with rights, what is a tax vs what is a fine? It's only right that these decisions are made by people with viewpoints and understandings shared by other Americans.

Comment

• SLF:

Since your examples are criminal, the Court's role is relatively minimal. It rules on evidentiary issues. Juries by and large decide the case. Jurors, of course, come from the community. Given that the vast majority of AA crime occurs in AA communities, AA defendants are almost always tried before a jury comprised of a significant number of AAs.

The question you don't ask is: What is the effect of having a judge that profoundly disagrees with your political ideology? Heh.

It's only right that these decisions are made by people with viewpoints and understandings shared by other Americans.
                            Yeah, some of us would call the proper body for making those decisions CONGRESS and suggest it is representative. To that end, it's worth noting that the Court has deferred to Congress wrt Obamacare at every turn (including tax-fine). As it should.

But, as far it "only [being] right" that Courts be diverse, we disagree. As an attorney and as a citizen, I'll always take ability over race/gender/ethnicity or whatever other diversity one wants to drum up.
                            Last edited by iam416; June 7, 2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

But, as far it "only [being] right" that Courts be diverse, we disagree. As an attorney and as a citizen, I'll always take ability over race/gender/ethnicity or whatever other diversity one wants to drum up.
                              I'd prefer honesty.

Plenty of talented hacks out there in the legal community...none that I know of course!

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                That is certainly the equivalent of "He's a Mexican, I'm building a wall."
                                You and your confounding cognitive dissonance! However that term is misapplied...
                                Last edited by Wild Hoss; June 7, 2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X