No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun control advocacy typically has not been a winning play for campaigns.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      can't see anything but an X
      3 Xs?

(Its John Wayne shooting into the camera)

Comment

• But the rest of the world watches Hollywood too, and there are films and plenty of media from other places that glorify violence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Gun control advocacy typically has not been a winning play for campaigns.
          Its not a real big seller for Hollywood either.

There is a whole genre about people solving their problems without guns....they’re called courtroom dramas. They typically get outperformed exponentially by action flicks. They do tend to do well on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            But the rest of the world watches Hollywood too, and there are films and plenty of media from other places that glorify violence.

India put in gun control laws in 1959, Japan post WWII (though they had some restrictions on certain groups years earlier), Malaysia 1960, many European countries restricted gun ownership to hunting after the wars... I'd argue Hollywood in 1950 is very different than today in their reach and scope. Even today, TV shows in the US have limited viewership globally.

the US was founded on guns, expanded on guns (how the west was won), profited on guns, and glorified guns to levels nobody else has in the last 100-150 yrs. And I still would suggest nobody glorifies guns as a culture more, as we can see in TV and Movies.
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
              Its not a real big seller for Hollywood either.

There is a whole genre about people solving their problems without guns....they’re called courtroom dramas. They typically get outperformed exponentially by action flicks. They do tend to do well on TV.

name the courtroom dramas that dominated the airways in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's.. For every Perry Mason, how many cowboy or cop shoes did Hollywood produce for generations?

I realize that you love movies and what I say scares you.. however, you just can't ban all guns. You have to change the culture.
              Last edited by entropy; June 23, 2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• I think what's a very strong argument is that they've been legal enough that the cat's out of the bag and cannot be put back in. That is the one element of this that makes the US seem unique to me.

Comment

• Hoss said:
                  Just a guess, but I bet the Fibbies don't want to send a notice to suspicious persons they may want to investigate, clearly alerting them that the FBI is onto him/her. If they try to board a plane the jig will be up, but until then they should be in the dark.
                  I think you are right. I also think that many Americans, including both of us, are surprised that the Feds seem to have interviewed or known about some of these terrorists, whether they used a gun or a pressure cooker. It is hard for me to see how the Feds could have "acted" against Mateen, at least so long as we view terrorism as a law enforcement issue. And to your point, we don't know how many terrorist plots have been foiled by the system we now employ. We only hear about the failures.

Comment

• I think what's a very strong argument is that they've been legal enough that the cat's out of the bag and cannot be put back in. That is the one element of this that makes the US seem unique to me.
                    yup. And that compounds the "black market" problem should guns (or any subset that is now legal to purchase) be banned.

Comment

• btw.. a college friends wife was on the no fly list due to her race. It took them years to correct it.

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• While I do think we could/should have more restrictions on guns and I'd actually like to see all hand guns go to revolvers (tougher reload)... But I also believe there are people wanting to do more and I'm not sure it can change (the cat out of the bag thought or as I put it, cultural issues). I also have friends who carry guns in the purses due to fear/safety/past events. I really would not want them to feel unprotected.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                              name the courtroom dramas that dominated the airways in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's.. For every Perry Mason, how many cowboy or cop shoes did Hollywood produce for generations?

I realize that you love movies and what I say scares you.. however, you just can't ban all guns. You have to change the culture.
                              Not really sure how to respond here, as this is kind of drifting out there over Left Field.

No mention of banning all guns.

No comparison between TV courtroom dramas and cop/cowboy shows.

Agree with changing the culture....you are mistaken in falling back on the old saw of the Hollywood Boogieman however. It a reflection of who we are, not a cause. That was my point.

Comment

• a question for the board:

Are the loudest voices for gun bans and restrictions actually racist? discuss..

Comment

Working...
                                X