No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden/Kasich - it's not too late to save us from the Republicrats.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Michael Brown's mom (among others) will be addressing the DNC convention. If only the capacity to feel shame was a prerequisite for holding public office...

Comment

• That's also not Michael Brown in that video.

A misidentified video purportedly depicts Mike Brown assaulting an elderly man over a stolen backpack.

Comment

• Hopefully whoever it is ..... Well, they are in Jail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Agreed.

Comment

• Among other things, DWS freaked out over 'Morning Joe' calling her biased in favor of Hillary. Tried to lean on MSNBC execs and Chuck Todd to get Joe & Mika to shut up

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                No reason to watch any TV news of any sort. No reasonable expectation of learning anything.
                My Sophomore year at M I took Doc Losch's Astronomy Class with most of the football team that year. I also signed up for Journalism 101 thinking these would be easy B's, maybe I could eek out an A.

I nearly flunked Astro 101 and pulled out a C by some kind of miracle on the final. To get a B in the journalism course, I had to promise the prof I'd never seek a career in Journalism ......

I could write better stories today than most of the shit I end up reading on the wire. It's terrible and I say this because the print media is not much better than Broadcast stuff. THAT is utterly unwatchable except maybe taking a quick look at the headlines running aimlessly across the bottom of the CNN Headline News channel or maybe one of the major foreign news networks when I can find them in the 400 freaking channels I can get on cable.

It is very difficult to remain well informed on both sides of important issues locally, nationally and internationally. It takes a lot of looking around for different takes on a story and doing a lot of your own research to understand and form an opinion on something. That reality is one of the reasons this forum and this particular thread has so much value. I've enjoyed all the different takes here. Definitely informative.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I'm all in on savaging broadcast. Those people were terrible even before the internet. Print journalism is another story. No doubt many terrible things, but largely tied to the internet disruption and the struggle to stay relevant since. There's still some great stuff out there. You may be interested in this story about Turkey. EXCELLENT. I can vouch for the location and the people. She nailed it in a way few nail both the country and that demographic. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/ma...ople.html?_r=0. Overall, yes there's a lot of crap but most print outlets were never awful to start like broadcast.

Comment

• The internet didn't ruin journalism.

It exposed it.

Comment

• When it comes to journalism, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about compared with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                        When it comes to journalism, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about compared with you.
                        Zing ...... forgive Hannibal. He's a f'ing Engineer, albeit, a GD smart one.

Hack, I'm headed to that link right now.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The author, Suzy Hanson ..... do you know her? Incredible journalistic depth. Great piece. Thanks for that link.

The description of Turkey vis-a-vie Erdogan, the Turks and Syrians (Arabs) as Hanson portrays it is an other-world view. IOW, it matches NOTING that I have read to date.

I see and understand the Ottoman view of the Muhtar but it seems to me to be so inconsistent with my westernized definition of the struggle between secularism v. Islam in Turkey, I'm astonished about my lack of understanding!

I've heard those of middle eastern decent with who I am acquainted say that westerners cannot understand the complexity of the political, economic and religious currents that are present there.

Amen to that.

Comment

• Glad you read it and found it as I did. I don't know her - she showed up after I'd left. She's obviously really plugged herself in, though, and was pretty talented to begin with. Turkey's really complex. I agree that, broadly speaking, we can't understand it and they can't understand us. They really can't. We can make progress though.

Comment

• I failed to mention Michelle Obama as a speaker. What a speech.

Comment

• I thought it was good, but wow are people gushing. I didn't see greatness in it. Honestly I thought all the speeches were fine. Bernie went on about policy as he always does. Warren has a different cadence for pandering than many, so that's a nice change. But, otherwise, whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X