Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    It'd have been simpler if you just called the R "body politic" a bunch of racists.
    Well, if you're into such dodgy comments I suppose.

:cough:

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      The Iran deal was a deal between 7 actors, he can't unilaterally tear up anything. You could theoretically pull the US out of the deal but the deal still goes on.
      The only means of stopping a wealthy nation of 80 million people from acquiring a nuclear weapon would be to conquer it and establish a permanent puppet government. 50 years of sanctions, military posturing and bluster by Republicans and Democrats alike didn't prevent North Korea from doing it, and their GDP is less than the Big Ten's.

Its time for the conversation to begin dealing with the reality of WHEN more hostile nations join the nuke fraternity. Nobody is going to stop it from happening.

Comment

• Jeff: I was typing when you posted.

I want to think about it more too. I keep going back to 1980, when the same type of attack was being delivered against Reagan. Eventually, folks were able to cut through the media blockade and allow Reagan to be Reagan.

Trump is no Reagan. I view him as an autocratic narcissist, and that scares me. But my view is based on little real evidence. Hillary, on the other hand, has proven she is corrupt and for sale, and she has done that since the 1980's. I know of no regular poster in this forum who would not rather we had a choice of Pence vs. Kaine. So I'm trying to view this election as that kind of choice, and I'll always fall on the side of more freedom and less government.

Comment

• The word dark was used because it was correct, it was dark. It isn't always the media's fault.
          Well, for a group so intensely opposed to plagiarism, I'd expect one story not using the exact word "dark".

Comment

• The only means of stopping a wealthy nation of 80 million people from acquiring a nuclear weapon would be to conquer it and establish a permanent puppet government.
            That is just nonsense, and a total straw man. Israel bombed an Iraqi nuclear reactor and stopped Hussein's program. Israel is willing to do the same in Iran, but would need US help. That help is not forthcoming under either Obama or Hillary. In fact, the Iran Deal obligates the US to protect Iran from an Israeli attack.

Comment

• Geezer I think you identified a few interesting areas where we might wonder why Putin would want Trump in, and a few that aren't quite so interesting. But what's out there makes it pretty clear that he does, regardless of how you or I might logic it out.

Not that's the final word on it. The media also expects a big Erdogan/Putin rapproachment soon. I had breakfast Wednesday with another former Istanbul journalist and we poked some pretty interesting holes in that idea. Neither of us can see why Erdogan would need Putin. So there's an example of why we shouldn't take all this at face value. There's also no reason to throw it out completely, either, and disregard the expertise and the context of the people who are certain about Putin's preference. That combined with the consistency of the opinion is quite notable.

Comment

• Now it's the media's fault for the plagiarism. It is always the media's fault or its political correctness. Good grief. Come up with a better speech or at least change the words around a little more. They violated Don Canham's rule of not turning a one day story into three day story. Their defensive reaction did just that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                  That is just nonsense, and a total straw man. Israel bombed an Iraqi nuclear reactor and stopped Hussein's program. Israel is willing to do the same in Iran, but would need US help. That help is not forthcoming under either Obama or Hillary. In fact, the Iran Deal obligates the US to protect Iran from an Israeli attack.
                  It happened once. Can it happen again? Dunno. Iraq had its entire nuclear program in one place, making it easy for Israel to bomb. Iran has wisely diffused activities over multiple sites. Just one factor.

Comment

Now it's the media's fault for the plagiarism. It is always the media's fault or its political correctness. Good grief. Come up with a better speech or at least change the words around a little more. They violated Don Canham's rule of not turning a one day story into three day story. Their defensive reaction did just that.
                    I think you hear the word dark over and over again because it fits, but because also we're all just hacks in the end and if a word fits it'll get repeated and repeated. Most of us in mainstream media aren't wordsmiths able to consistently come up with new and artful ways of communicating. That's truer now than its ever been, given the exodus of talent from the profession. We get what we pay for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                      That is just nonsense, and a total straw man.
                      ...and yet real life (As mentioned in the part of my post you didn't cite) demonstrates that I am correct.

Who to believe...reality, or Geez? Tough one.

Comment

• "I know of no regular poster in this forum who would not rather we had a choice of Pence vs. Kaine."

You have got to be kidding. Pence is the poster boy for the Christian facist movement.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                          "I know of no regular poster in this forum who would not rather we had a choice of Pence vs. Kaine."

You have got to be kidding. Pence is the poster boy for the Christian facist movement.
                          He stands for freedumb dammit!

Comment

• Da Geezer asserts as fact that Hillary Clinton is for sale and has been since the 80s. Does he believe Trump isn't for sale? his business practices since the 80s suggest that is exactly the case. This isn't a Mitt Romney type businessman. Nowadays his main business is selling his name.

Comment

• That is a tough call on Trump or Pence. They are both terrible but Pence would be terrible in a predictable way. Neither of them seem to be very good at policy minutae. If I had to choose I might ask for Cruz!

Comment

That is a tough call on Trump or Pence. They are both terrible but Pence would be terrible in a predictable way. Neither of them seem to be very good at policy minutae. If I had to choose I might ask for Cruz!
                                Any politician that wants to impose his religion on me scares the shit out of me. Living in a state that is ruled by the church has shown me that it is not a good thing.

As the leader of the Christian Taliban, Cruz is a scary motherfucker. I hope he disappears along with the rest of the Tea Party and other religious zealots. Their vision of America is not the America that I know or want.

Trump on the other hand is just a gas-bag fool. I suspect that he will get destroyed in the election.
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X