Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
    That can't be possible. Everyone knows the private sector can do everything better, more cheaply, faster, more efficiently, and with better results. No exceptions!
    Yep. Vote for Gary Johnson!
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• No, Jon, you have it backwards. Everyone knows the Government is a beacon of efficient allocation of resources, a brilliant engine of change and operation that should basically control every single phase of human existence.

I mean, if we're going to be outlandish and all.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Thanks for the response, Hack. I vaguely recalled the start of "objective" journalism from Journalism 101 class back in 1992. Heh. I thought it was the 1920s.

This is very good stuff. Thanks for posting:
        But, that said, the REAL thing to worry about isn't a right-left issue. It's that now that the media is in turmoil and casting about for a sustainable way to do their jobs, government knows it and uses its newfound leverage. I have much less access to real information now then when I was a summer intern in 1997. They know they've got us by the balls and so much less actual information gets out across all media. That's what we should all be concerned about. A worsening impact is that plenty of people like me now just don't bother covering government. It doesn't pay and every other type of person in DC is more interesting and informative to talk to. So that leaves the government coverage to the star-fucker type of journalists who like the attention and are often willing to make compromises for access. This is just increasing the power of unelected bureaucrats at the expense of voters and their representatives.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Its the perfect mirror - gov't reflects the private sector. Only the level of corruption differentiates the two.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• For-profit prisons is the well-intentioned deregulation/privatization movement taken too far. Incarceration is a textbook public good -- same as building infrastrcture and national defense. You can't privatize a good like that because there is no check or balance on the profit making side.

Comment

• Whether journalism ever achieved the impartiality that it always claimed is very much up for debate. The rise of alternative media has exposed the bias of the traditional mainstream media, probably a lot more than it contributed to it or caused it to bubble to the surface. It's hard to know for sure though because the type of instant fact-checking that exists now didn't exist in 1950 or 1980. But there's plenty of anecdotal evidence, ranging from Walter Duranty's pro-Stalin reporting to the regular beatings that Richard Nixon always took from the media who clearly couldn't stand him.

Comment

• It was the media's fault for Nixon as well?

Comment

• The media's disdain for Nixon is legendary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    The media's disdain for Nixon is legendary.
                    So was Nixon's ability to hold grudges and resent "elites". He had raging inferiority and persecution complexes going back to at least his college days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                      The media's disdain for Nixon is legendary.
                      For good reason, he was awful. He resigned in disgrace. The media didn't make him do what he did.

Comment

• Clinton is running for Obama's 3rd term versus Trump running for Nixon's 3rd term.

Comment

• Nixon was more a democrat in ideology. He was far more 'progressive' than most realize.

As far as being petty and grudge-holding, that's virtually all of them. Sufficiently piss off the PAH and see how long it takes to get back in good graces.

That said, the PAH will get my vote in November. I think she's the best republican candidate since Bob Dole. Heh. Further, I think Trump wants nothing to do with the day-to-day grind of the presidency. And he's also crazy.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Eisenhower was far more progressive than today's Republicans too. So were Thomas Dewey, Nelson Rockefeller, George Romney, and Gerald Ford. It was a different time.

Comment

• Comment

• Haha

Green Party’s Jill Stein tied with dead gorilla Harambe and losing to ‘Deez Nuts’ in Texas poll
                                David Ferguson DAVID FERGUSON
                                17 AUG 2016 AT 06:44 ET

Green Party candidate Jill Stein is currently tied with Harambe the Gorilla in a new poll and is losing to mythical candidate “Deez Nuts.”

The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that a Public Policy Polling survey of Texas voters showed Stein and Harambe winning less than two percent of registered voters, while “Deez Nuts” — a creation of Iowa teen Brady Olson — garnered 3 percent of voters.

Among Texas voters, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is currently polling at 44 percent and Democratic rival Hillary Clinton is six points behind with 38 percent of voters planning to cast their ballot for her in November.

Stein is running as a potential liberal spoiler, hoping to draw in disaffected supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and other liberals who will not vote for Clinton. However, the Washington Post reported in July that 90 percent of voters who supported Sanders in the Democratic primary are now pinning their hopes on Clinton.

The PPP poll is not one of the five surveys that will be used to determine whether Stein is allowed to participate in the major party debates in the fall. Election officials say that she must reach a threshold of 15 percent of voters to qualify for the debate stage.

Olson, creator of independent candidate “Deez Nuts” is only 16 and therefore not allowed to run for president. However, he has registered the imaginary presidential wannabe with the Federal Elections Committee (FEC).

Harambe the gorilla was shot and killed at the Cincinnati Zoo in May when a toddler fell into his pen and zoo officials feared the animal would kill the child.

The Daily News said, “While there has never been a gorilla president the primate’s death would not actually preclude him from being elected, as multiple candidates who died during their campaigns went on to win their races.”
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X