Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    I'm open to alternatives. But as of now I believe shitty schools are symptomatic of poverty like, e.g., crime. Nothing changes meaningfully until the root cause is addressed. Until that happens, school choice provides relief for a few...which exceeds none.
    I agree. But think it's more that poverty and shitty schools are the product of the same cause: people not giving a shit. (Which is why I would stop trying to lower class sizes and invest more in case worker types.)
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• One area I'm very open to is increased funding for trade programs. And by trade I include basic IT stuff. I think those can be successful as measured by RoI. And I think it ludicrous to try to help people dig out of poverty by aiming for a college degree. Baby steps. Give them a program with a proven ability to produce employment. $30-40k is a start. It hopefully breaks the cycle of poverty - that person's children got to better schools and maybe upgrade jobs.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• agree with the trade programs.
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          I'm open to alternatives. But as of now I believe shitty schools are symptomatic of poverty like, e.g., crime. Nothing changes meaningfully until the root cause is addressed. Until that happens, school choice provides relief for a few...which exceeds none.
          I want to know how you intend to end poverty in the US. I want to know NOW. Keep your answer under 100 words please.

I do like your "baby steps" (IT training) approach though and I've seen this kind of thing eliminate the likes of the stiffling amounts of it we have in the US compared to, say, the Scandinavian countries and places like Switzerland. Yeah, I know, different circumstances and different national budgets. But good God what is happening here is disgraceful and getting worse.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I don't intend to end poverty. 6 words. 7 if count don't as 2.

Comment

• "Beatings will continue until morale improves."

Comment

• Trump cancels speaking events in Oregon, Nevada, and what was supposed to be a "major speech" in Colorado. Dunno what's going on.

There's also this (yeah I know it's HuffPo)

Trump jacked up the rent for the campaign at Trump Tower 4x once it was donors (and not himself) paying for it. I suppose it's possible they're taking up 4 times the amount of space but...why? Staffing levels are almost exactly the same as in March.

The campaign is paying $170,000/month for this luxurious office space

Comment

• There's also this (yeah I know it's HuffPo)
                  And I read on Breitbart - Hillary barely could open a pickel jar on TV last night she's so weak.

I know your seeking information that confirms or validates your positions and pay more attention to it than with information that disconfirms and invalidates them (i.e., confirmation bias). I will not nor ever click on that link, sending traffic their way, boost advertising dollars, and make it more likely that they will continue doing what they do.

Comment

• In voting related news, I had to vote today on a local issue. They asked me for my name, address, some form of ID and then to sign the roll book. It was awful. I was so flustered by the 30 second process I nearly forgot how I was going to vote. This type of voter intimidation and suppression must end.

Comment

• It is racist too.

I didn't know you are a black guy (?)

Comment

• Talent was born a poor, black child.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ironically enough, they found the one black gentlemen in my community to work the polls and demand my ID.

I demand justice!

Comment

• Dont fret...I'm sure he was just place there by Hillary as a front.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• But, in reality, if your product requires a regulatory win to be profitable then you aren't disrupting anything. You've simply got better people in DC than your competition. I'm in favor of regulating any type of transportation option. One ride in an un- or under-regulated market and it becomes obvious why.
                              I disagree with the statement that Uber, at the beginning, required any regulatory "win" in any way prior to "becoming profitable". That is like saying that everything should be regulated, and . . ."May the best lobbyist win...."

Uber wedded two separate free behaviors, 1) private car owners giving rides to strangers 2) who are now able to connect with the drivers through apps on cell phones. All Uber ever wanted or needed was to be left alone, but the powerful entrenched interests (in this case taxis) sought to limit their competition through government action.

But my point was broader than that. The "regulation" is not mere rent-seeking. The government has a vested interest in maintaining the status quo because that is what they have taxed or regulated in order to generate money for the government. So, not only do regulators get "payoffs" from lobbyists in whatever form, but they also protect an income stream that pays the salaries of the regulators.

E-cigarettes are like Uber in that it is a disruptive technology that challenges the accepted way of delivering nicotine. I am sure that, in the late 50s or early 60s, they would have been viewed as a wonderful way of quitting cigarettes. But, now, the government has an interest in keeping the tobacco companies profitable. Again, that is more than a regulatory win. Can anyone give me a good reason that vaping should be controlled other than if it is somehow used to inhale a banned substance?

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                                ....... Can anyone give me a good reason that vaping should be controlled other than if it is somehow used to inhale a banned substance?
                                No ...... besides, Nicotine by itself does not pose the same threat to public health that smoking (not vapping it) does. Nicotinic acid (nicotine) is a stimulant on a par with caffeine if not a little more defective at it's job at lower doses. Just thought everyone should know about this.

BTW, IMO, taxing Uber is dumb. It is a great technology and if I were giving advice to cab drivers or state/local regulators I'd say get with the program.

Out of the last 5 times I have used cabs 2 of them resulted in Medallioned cabs breaking down (Fort Lauderdale) during the trip; the other three, two in ATL and one somewhere else I can't remember, all three Uber hails, went flawlessly.

Slash the price of Medallions and enforce safety, cleanliness and operating standards for medallion holders. Then let the market determine who's providing the best service. And yes, I'm not a complete communist.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X