No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoss.... one of the answers to land aristocracy was the corporate farm. I knew of 2 of them in our area alone.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Hoss.... one of the answers to land aristocracy was the corporate farm. I knew of 2 of them in our area alone.
      Yeah...the Corporation is our new aristocracy. I suppose there is always bound to be one, whatever its form.

FWIW, I would prefer you. Booze would always be cheap.

Comment

• A friend of mine just got back from a visit to Disneyland/World, whichever one is in Florida.

He went by the lagoon where the boy from Nebraska was killed by the alligator. Says it looks like the Berlin Wall now.

Comment

• Disneyworld. I had heard that they were building a wall.

Comment

• Did they make the alligators pay for it?
            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I laughed audibly during a conference call.

Comment

• CGVT.. LOL

Comment

• Majority of Paris & Brussels attackers infiltrated EU posing as refugees – Hungarian intelligence

==========

guess this explains why Hungary is building new fences and hiring teams to prevent illegal immigration

Comment

• A woman told to switch seats due to religious beliefs of Pakistani monks is seeking an apology from United Airlines after a...

Woman told to switch seats on United due to religious beliefs of others

Comment

• LOL @ CGVT - that's perfect.

Comment

• Just remember y'all are going to get the government you're clamoring for.

I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• hack said:
                          .....The practical side of me recognizes that we're all better off when capital is spread around. Left in the hands of too few and we get the bullshit we have now. I can think of very few things for which the concept of a balance of power does not apply.

And it is the role of a banking system to spread the money around. Money that is "...in the hands of too few..." is actually in a bank or in a financial instrument if there are positive real interest rates. The bank then "spreads" it to those who need money for productive ventures. Financial instruments just eliminate the middleman.

And how do we determine who gets the loan? Well, consider a project with a 15% rate of return, and one a 6% ROR. If the bank is charging 5% for the money, it is unclear who will get it. But if the bank is charging 8%, then only the first project gets funded. Could the bank charge a higher rate? Sure, but money is totally fungible, so there is a lot of competition to make the loan to the first project. This is both a democratic and a merit-based way of allocating capital.

Now, imagine a negative real rate, or more pertinently to the US, an artificially low rate created by the printing of $ 10 Trillion by the government. First, there is no incentive to use banks: no interest. Second, money flows to paper assets that provide some return (causing a stock bubble). Third, and IMO most important, there is no way to determine the most productive uses of capital, so we get low growth. Fourth, the main risk to the owners of capital is a political risk, and not an economic risk.

Comment

• Talent, I've never considered an Estate Tax that doesn't tax real property. As you point out, that solves the liquidity problem that affects farmers. Frankly, there are lots of liquidity problems with small businesses and the death of a "partner", but focusing on liquidity in addition to "value upon death" is a good idea.

Comment

• Did they make the alligators pay for it?
                              LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                                http://thegate.boardingarea.com/woma...kistani-monks/

Woman told to switch seats on United due to religious beliefs of others
                                I support an airline's right to choose.

Comment

Working...
                                X