No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what the future holds. What I do know is that our peaceful constitutional republic, historically speaking, is the exception and not the rule. I also know that our government is massively in debt, and on top of that, has the world's greatest unfunded liability in Social Security.

I now believe that at some point in our lifetimes, we will be faced with either:

A. The government going bankrupt and no longer being able to write checks

or

B. Massive amounts of private property confiscation, ala Cyprus but on a much larger scale, in an effort to pay debts.

or

C. Hyperinflation, caused by the government printing money to pay its debts

Any one of those three has the potential to be catastrophically disruptive.

FYI I don't own a gun and I almost certainly never will. All I'm saying is that the possibility of citizens bearing arms against the government (and being justified in doing so) at some point in the future of our country should not be completely dismissed. As I said, the future is uncertain. You and I -- we have had it easy. Really easy. I don't know if it's permanent. History takes place over centuries, not just years. 100 years ago, people thought that major wars were gone for good. Turns out, everyone was wrong. I sometimes find myself wondering whether we are in a similar era of irrational exuberance with regards to domestic tranquility.
    Last edited by Hannibal; March 25, 2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
      Some sense to that. Is it possible though that if you tax it too much you will just create a black market or illegal trade for those willing to sell it for the same price minus the tax?
      you could probably increase the cigarette tax.. maybe double, and still be ok. I'd think...
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• hanny... so you're saying the "preppers" on TV are not nuts..
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Any one of those three has the potential to be catastrophically disruptive.

Whoa Trotsky! We have a meeting every Thursday evening in this guy's basement that I know.....
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post

Whoa Trotsky! We have a meeting every Thursday evening in this guy's basement that I know.....
            (truth be told, OP's buddy got a home-brewing kit for Christmas last year...)

Comment

• A decade ago Rob, I bought a home-brew kit, Deluxe model. Tasted like cat piss, pitched the whole damn unit.
              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                I don't know what the future holds. What I do know is that our peaceful constitutional republic, historically speaking, is the exception and not the rule. I also know that our government is massively in debt, and on top of that, has the world's greatest unfunded liability in Social Security.

I now believe that at some point in our lifetimes, we will be faced with either:

A. The government going bankrupt and no longer being able to write checks

or

B. Massive amounts of private property confiscation, ala Cyprus but on a much larger scale, in an effort to pay debts.

or

C. Hyperinflation, caused by the government printing money to pay its debts

FYI I don't own a gun and I almost certainly never will. All I'm saying is that the possibility of citizens bearing arms against the government (and being justified in doing so) at some point in the future of our country should not be completely dismissed. As I said, the future is uncertain. You and I -- we have had it easy. Really easy. I don't know if it's permanent. History takes place over centuries, not just years. 100 years ago, people thought that major wars were gone for good. Turns out, everyone was wrong. I sometimes find myself wondering whether we are in a similar era of irrational exuberance with regards to domestic tranquility.
                I have no idea. If you're taking the long view, in about 20/30 years the US is going to have a wonderful demographics advantage with the boomers out of the way. The stage will be set at that point for a lovely second act. The trick is to manage the books until then. But it's going to be harder if this vigilante business persists. Vigilantism is never an answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                  I have no idea. If you're taking the long view, in about 20/30 years the US is going to have a wonderful demographics advantage with the boomers out of the way. The stage will be set at that point for a lovely second act. The trick is to manage the books until then. But it's going to be harder if this vigilante business persists. Vigilantism is never an answer.
                  HEY! I both resent and represent that remark!

Comment

• Sorry, Rob. I figured it was just understood that the boomers that post here aren't going to be a problem but it's just all the other boomers that are the real issue. Right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
                      Re: "Bad outcomes from gun ownership/use for self defense...." I am not a gun owner but have thought of purchasing and learning to use something for "home defense" exclusively. I would not carry outside the premises. Has anyone come across any statistics relative to the bad outcome scenerio that distinguishes in home vs outside the home outcomes particularly if the "suicide" outcome were parcelled out?
                      I would avoid "statistical superfluous subterfuge" completely MacKenzie. It relatively very simple, attend a few classes, receive expert training.....you actually rehearse REAL-LIFE scenarios, gain confidence, a fundamental understand of your surroundings and firearm applications and take it from there.

There are countless experts that train you how to read a situation and react if necessary to save yourself our your family. Next join a club, I train and shoot at the range with police, SWAT and military personnel weekly...these people provide invaluable input with respect to self-defense and are true experts, free of charge.

Then decide if it's for you?
                      Last edited by Optimus Prime; March 25, 2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• I wonder about this. I hear from so many people that their aim will be true when the time comes. Of course they have no way of really knowing that unless they are in the small minority of people that have real-life experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
                          I would avoid "statistical superfluous subterfuge" completely MacKenzie. It relatively very simple, attend a few classes, receive expert training.....you actually rehearse REAL-LIFE scenarios, gain confidence, a fundamental understand of your surroundings and firearm applications and take it from there.

There are countless experts that train you how to read a situation and react if necessary to save yourself our your family. Next join a club, I train and shoot at the range with police, SWAT and military personnel weekly...these people provide invaluable input with respect to self-defense and are true experts, free of charge.

Then decide if it's for you?
                          Good advice. I'm sure that I would be able to do, and want to do, most of what you suggest. But, I doubt that I would have the opportunity to shoot at the range with police, SWAT, and milatary personnel--at least to the extent and manner you are able. Still, good things to try and do.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            you could probably increase the cigarette tax.. maybe double, and still be ok. I'd think...
                            Guess that what I was thinking is that there are many people who support their drug habit(s) through illegal ways. I would hope that the value of legalizing some of the current illegal drugs would translate into lower crime. But, if the cost of the legal drugs is prohibitive than people will just turn to crime to support their habit anyway. I suspect that to some degree that this will happen anyway and is not just limited to affordable or non-affordable drugs.

I have never been a cigarette smoker but from what I have seen tabacco addiction and the lengths people will go to to support that habit is unfortunate.

Comment

• Good advice. I'm sure that I would be able to do, and want to do, most of what you suggest. But, I doubt that I would have the opportunity to shoot at the range with police, SWAT, and milatary personnel--at least to the extent and manner you are able. Still, good things to try and do.

Sorry Mac, these types typically populate all ranges, public and private. You can't miss.

Comment

• It relatively very simple, attend a few classes, receive expert training.....you actually rehearse REAL-LIFE scenarios, gain confidence, a fundamental understand of your surroundings and firearm applications and take it from there.
                                Based on anecdotal evidence, I would say few, to very few, gun owners do this.
                                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Working...
                                X