No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was the lowest turnout election since 2000. If Trump found millions of voters who had never voted before then millions of others must have stayed home.
    Few here liked either candidate. And we are the guys who are interested enough in politics to come here.

Comment

• So then Democrats should mainly be mad at themselves for not showing up. ... OR it's your fault Bernie wasn't the choice.
      A nine million difference in votes between 2008 Obama and 2016 Clinton is BIG.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
        So then Democrats should mainly be mad at themselves for not showing up. ... OR it's your fault Bernie wasn't the choice.
        A nine million difference in votes between 2008 Obama and 2016 Clinton is BIG.
        Correct, if you stayed home it's on you for the BS to come.
        Last edited by froot loops; November 12, 2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Good post, Whit. This is why, until we have a better solution, political correctness is betten than nothing. Using clunky and awkward language isn't all that much of a problem if the payoff is that racists have to keep their thoughts to themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            Correct, if you stayed home it's on you for the BS to come.
            Yep. I am tired already of all the puling, the protesting, the overly-dramatic Kate McKinnon opening on SNL, all of it. Enough already.

Vote or STFU.

Comment

• I thought the Kate McKinnon intro was pretty good, but your opinion may vary.

Comment

• These Joe Biden memes are cracking me up.

In recent days the internet has been awash with Obama-Biden memes - pictures of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with captions imagining what they might be saying to one another.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• And while I agree to vote of STFU, let them protest, there's no vote coming of real significance for two years. But it can't just end at walking in the street with some anti-Trump message. And the protests should be more fierce if he follows through with some of the campaign promises. If anything this election shows how much the the grass roots has atrophied, if you feel that you need to protest, you need to get organized.

Comment

• Biden loves those memes just like he loves the Onion portrayal of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      if you feel that you need to protest, you need to get organized.
                      This.

The only good that can come of this disaster to smack people- on both sides of the spectrum- right in the goddamn kisser about how important it is to get off their asses and vote, and to do it every election. This is what happens when we get 20% participation in midterms, primaries, then low presidential turnout. We empower the fringes.

Part of that needs to be push to improve urban voting as well; people should not be forced to pass on voting to make their shift. Ridiculous. Maybe elections should be a two-day, or weekend-long process.

Comment

• Trump says he'll be deproting 2-3 million people almost immediately. Also says The Wall will be more like a fence in a lot of places.

Comment

• Edited for brevity but not for content (I hope). This basically is the introduction.

For decades, progressives have emphasized the “income gap” separating rich and poor. ...This was half right. There is indeed a gap in this country, and it has now led to a political revolution, a significant realignment in American politics. But the relevant gap wasn’t income. It was dignity....Too many Americans have lost pride in themselves. We sense dignity by creating value with our lives, through families, communities, and especially work. That is why American leaders so frequently talk about dignity in the context of labor.... Conversely, nothing destroys dignity more than idleness and a sense of superfluousness—the feeling that one is simply not needed.

That is the circumstance in which millions of Americans find themselves today.... The U.S. is bifurcating into a nation of economic winners and losers, and this distinction is seeping into American culture. The dignity gap grows every time those who lose out start hearing, “We don’t need you anymore.” Who falls on the wrong side of this dignity gap? These days it is working-class men. In his new book “Men Without Work,” my colleague Nick Eberstadt shows that between 1965 and 2015 the percentage of working-aged men outside the workforce increased to 22% from 10%. Many millions more are underemployed. The employment-to-population ratio for men aged 25-54 is 6.8% lower today than it was in 1930, in the teeth of the Great Depression. These secular trends were amplified by the nonrecovery that most Americans experienced after the Great Recession. Only about the top fifth of the economy saw positive income growth for most of the Obama presidency, Census Bureau data show, while most others averaged no growth at all. This stagnation has decimated middle-aged men without a college education, especially in rural areas.

The ratio for all men 25-54 is greater than during the Great Depression. That means that if any of you have seen video of bread lines with men passing a pot of soup, the current condition is worse as it pertains to men 25-54. Again, in 1930, there was nil employment by the federal government, that came later. So with none of the New Deal programs in place, employment for this demographic is worse now.
                          Last edited by Da Geezer; November 13, 2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• The President of the United States, ladies and gents. It's also a blatant lie. The NY Times responded by saying their subscriptions have surged dramatically because of the election.

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/797805407179866112[/ame]

Another blatant lie. He absolutely suggested the US would be better off if Japan and South Korea had their own nukes so we wouldn't have to defend them.

[ame]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/797832229800050688[/ame]

Comment

• Jesus. How could we elect this cretin?
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• So when it all fails, what are Trump voters gonna say? One possibility is ``oh wow we got swindled lets smarten up and be less hostile to the facts''. Another possibility is ``Trump betrayed us because he compromised on xx and yy. We need someone who will stay true to the vision.''

We all know which one it's gonna be.

Comment

Working...
                                X