Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Especially after claiming he doesn't care about OSU players once they hit the league...unless they're Stillers.

Comment

• I'm usually interested in history making events. Especially in the off-season doldrums. And I generally care where good players go -- I'd really hate to see the Ravens are going to get Bosa.

But, you guys knew that.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• DT Donovan Munger is done?

Offseason attrition has gone favorably for Michigan this year.

So far.

Comment

• Yeah, that's not good attrition. He would have played and he was going to graduate soon anyway. Doesn't really help long-term numbers issues. They still need to matriculate 1 more before August. And then it get really, really ugly.

Comment

• Jonez' , wonderlic of 25? Expected single digits, I suppose Talent took his test?

Courtesy of MgoBlog.

OT: Cardale Jones 'a poor man's JaMarcus Russell'
            This topic goes with Connor Cook's character being called into question.

Some NFL scouts were none too impressed with Cardale Jones, both in terms of mechanics and intellect. Here's the writeup on Jones:

CARDALE JONES, Ohio State (6-5, 250, 4.80, 4-5): Non-qualifier out of Cleveland Glenville High under coach Ted Ginn Sr., redshirted in 2012 and was third string in 2013-'14 until injuries struck. Played spectacularly in three-game stint culminated by a national title. Started eight of the first nine games in '15 before being benched for J.T. Barrett, then declared a year early. "You can't pass a talent like that," said one scout. "If you're going to bet on one, bet on a guy with all the talent if he shows you enough want-to." Passer rating of 97.2, rushed for 617 yards. "Kind of reminds me of a poor man's JaMarcus Russell," said another scout. "At least JaMarcus had some touch. This guy just throws the ball. His mechanics are all over the place." Added a third scout: "Strong arm. Big, big body. Not the brightest cookie in the world. I worry about him when he gets money in his pocket. I just don't know if it's all there mentally." Wonderlic of 25.

Poor man's JaMarcus Russell? That's low.

Link

Edit. Should really put my thoughts on Jones in here instead of letting scouts trash him. His arm is incredible and he should have left last year. Meyer has only ever put one QB in the NFL for any real length if time - Alex Smith. I attribute that to an offense which allows QBs to get away with non-NFL habits. For example, defenses were so afraid of Elliot that Jones could stare down a receiver or only focus on two receivers instead of the whole progression. If Jones had left last year, he would have developed and retained fewer of these bad habits. He is a project. The right coach can work with that big arm of his but much patience is required.
            "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Now entering year two as the Buckeyes' quarterback coach, Beck can conveniently talk about how much more ready he is to coach QBs compared to a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Leicester are the champs. That's so Spursy blew second half leads the last two weeks. Losing a 2-0 lead in Monday Night Football.

Comment

• It's an impossible result. Fantastic.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• Nearly 3 years ago to the day Leicester were playing Watford in the Championship Playoffs for a chance to go to Wembley and win promotion to the EPL. In the dying seconds of stoppage time with the game level on aggregate they were awarded a PK and what seemed like a trip to London. What ensued is as dramatic and stunning 30 second turnaround as I've ever seen in sports:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DLW-6BFHl8"]Watford 3-1 Leicester (BBC 3CR Radio Commentary) - YouTube[/ame]

Leicester would win promotion the following season. And then, last season, they would sit in last place 7 points from avoiding relegation with a mere 9 matches to play. They were done...going back down...until they amazingly won 7 of their final 9 matches to finish 14th. And now this...since the First Division was rebranded the Premier League some 25 years ago, no team that finished worse than 6th the previous season went on to win the EPL the following season. Until now.

The story of Jamie Vardy is nearly as stunning. In his early 20s he was a factory worker playing in England's 8th division for 30 pounds a week. He played three years for the Stocksbridge Park Steels -- as recently as 2010. He worked his way through two non-league sides before LCFC eventually bought him in 2012. He was shit his first season w/ them but found his form in 2013-14 -- at the age of 27. He is now Football Player of the Year according to the writers and has scored for England and will surely be on England's Euro 2016 squad. And he's a bit of an ass.

Riyad Mahrez came to LCFC from the French lower divisions for a pittance. He spent SEVEN seasons kicking around those shit parks. He came to LCFC after the devastating loss to Watford when they were still in the Championship. He has been unreal, earning Footballer of the Year from a different group. Now Barce-fucking-lona want him. LCFC paid 400K pounds for him...Barca would probably pay 25M for him now.

N'golo Kante is probably their best player. A diminutive midfielder from France, he, too, was stuck in the French 2nd division. But he had real promise and cost LCFC 8M pounds. He's been worth every penny. At 5'6" he still bosses the midfield and works tirelessly. He is probably worth more than Mahrez on the transfer market.

Finally, their manager Claudio Ranieri is one of the good guys -- and shouldn't be the manager. The manager who saved them last season was fired after a sex tape emerged involving several LCFC's youth players (including the manager's son), some Thai hookers and some inappropriate language. Raineri was a stop-gap -- available because he was fired from manager of Greece after a disgraceful loss to the Faroe Islands. His system fit perfectly with LCFC's talent.

And then you have the overall perfect confluence of player emergence. They needed ALL of their players to emerge at once. If they do it in piecemeal then LCFC probably finishes mid-table and sells them off one-by-one and you never get the complete team. To have Vardy, Marhez, Kante, Drinkwater, Morgan, etc all playing at peak levels was a minor miracle.

It's just all so un-fucking-fathomable.

Comment

• Guess I'll need to order a Lester City jersey. Just for the quizical looks here in the states.
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I dunno...there'd be plenty of people who know what it is...they're kind of the biggest global sports story in awhile...

...but good luck finding them....team shop has been sold out for weeks!

Comment

• I almost care.

Actually, no I don't. Never mind.

Comment

• The NFL draft showed me two things:

1.It is a real head-scratcher that OSU didn't win the B1G. Should have played Alabama for the National Championship.

2. The talent in the rest of the conference was overrated. Guys llike Calhoun, Burbridge and Allen (MSU) and Zettel (PSU) fell a lot farther than I expected.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Allen was a great college lineman, but he is short.

Comment

Working...
                                X