Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we self-vacated the FF appearance and self-imposed the ban in hoops stemming from the O'Brien violations.

Comment

• maybe you should a hiatus for awhile DSL. just a suggestion.

Comment

• Actually, may not even need that to reverse the record as its not out of the question that every game pryor played in as well as every win any declared ineligible osu player played in going back to 2002 could be vacated.

Oh several of those are going to be vacated, no doubt about it. I'm just saying that this past ten years is now meaningless. And if OSU does slip into a funk that allows UM to dominate the decade -- seemingly the penalties to come could make that happen -- then that's another potentially lost decade. By the time this rivalry is competitive on an even footing again, it will have been a very long time since The Game was worthy of its title. Hoke has a lot of work to do to make it true, but it would be a shame were that to happen. I hope we beat the living tar of out of those clowns, but I also hope they find their footing relatively quickly and we can get back to classic matches on an even playing field between two respectable programs.

I'm just saying that as much as this has been fun, Tressel has done damage to us and part of the cachet of our program as well as to his own. The Game is a part of what makes UM great, and Tressel has done much to degrade its value.
        Last edited by hack; June 1, 2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• If there's any schadenfreude here for me, it relates to that last point. It really got annoying to hear the tongue-clucking from Ohio State fans about how Michigan's struggles had hurt The Game, in part because it was true to a point, but also because those sorts of comments implied that Michigan wasn't making a genuine effort to value its own football legacy. I think it's clear now which of these two programs has done more to hurt the greatest rivalry in college football, and it wasn't Michigan.

Aside from that, though, this is an awful story, one that's going to have lasting negative ramifications for the Big Ten. Yes, Ohio State's troubles are likely to give Michigan a short-term boost in recruiting, which will accelerate Michigan's rebuilding process, but they also figure to give Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, Iowa, and Michigan State a window of opportunity to establish themselves at the top of the conference, and those programs are ahead of Michigan at this time. One or more of those programs might turn out to be the biggest winners in this fiasco. Ohio State's suffered serious losses this week. It remains to be seen if Michigan will benefit.

Ohio State deserves what it has coming, but at the same time, it's bad for the Big Ten for any of its marquee programs to face this sort of prolonged scandal. It's especially bad that it's happening right as the Big Ten moves to a 12-team divisional format. Incidentally, messes like this are one reason why many of us insisted that a geographic split for the divisions would be better in the long run than the silly hodgepodge of a league the Big Ten insisting on ramming down everyone's throat. With Michigan's recent struggles, and Ohio State's likely decline over the next couple of years, it doesn't make a lot of sense for the league to have built its divisional alignment around the hope of a Michigan-Ohio State rematch in the title game.

Comment

• Doesn't seem like it's your style to get worked up about it in the way that I might, but I have an overactive sense of justice and love nothing more than to see power-corrupts-absolutely people meet an appropriate outcome, particularly when the person in question was clearly intending to be corrupt and in this case even relishing the opportunity.

But I'm not clear on why it's bad for the league. Memories are short. That's the same reason I think it's bad for The Game. An entire generation of fans are gonna grow up without a meaningful episode of this rivalry, and that weakens its status as one of sports' special rivalries and therefore the status of both M and OSU. Agree that it's great for Wisconsin, Nebraska and perhaps a few others poised to capitalize now. Nebraska in particular. What an embarrassment if the new member came in right away and won the conference, even if it's a worthy program on its own merits.
            Last edited by hack; June 2, 2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• I really wish it would be policy that a CCG would NOT be held in the case of a rematch. Single game rematches invalidate the 'regular' season play. But since college sports is now solely about whoring for dollars and not amateur athletics, it'll never happen. A sad reflection on American society...lip service to virtues espoused when all that really matters is making obscene amounts of money.

But back to the thread title. It seems osu may have its hearing postponed to possibly October as the NCAA sends another team into C-bus to investigate the widely reported infractions dating back to 2002. It looks like a 'lack of institutional control' is looming on osu's horizon.

And here's the kiss of death for Gene Smith. Wasn't Gee doing the deepthroat boogie on Tressel not so long ago?

Widespread allegations could lead the NCAA to charge the school with a lack of institutional control, but OSU President Gordon Gee on Wednesday told news reporters in Columbus that athletics director Gene Smith's job "is safe."
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Yeah -- this is what I'm talking about. Let's get it done, avoid institutional control but end up with multi-year scholarship reductions and bowl ban, and move on already. Let them take their medicine but not drag it out into a long thing that results in a lost decade.

Comment

• Below is a link to a podcast with Beckman/Spielman interview. Hope it works.
                  Spielman sounds very sombre during this interview, have listened to about half of it but the following remarks were made.

-Spielman will still do anything for saint jim.

-Spielman believes that there is still more to come.

-This is coming from Spielman, possiblity of death penalty looms there, citing that the usc/o-lie-o cases are different whereas pete carroll was not aware or part of the problems, saint jim pretty was privy to the problems.

-As for coaching Meyer/Dungy front runners, will all depend on sanctions given out by ncaa. fickall is just that an interim coach.

Last edited by geo weidl; June 2, 2011, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Petrino questions Ohio State player?s Sugar Bowl eligibility

By Graham Watson
                    Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino is torn when it comes to Ohio State and last year's Sugar Bowl.
                    The Buckeyes defeated Arkansas 31-26, but it did so with five players who the NCAA found guilty and ultimately suspended for trading memorabilia for tattoos and other merchandise.
                    But those suspensions don't start until the beginning of the 2011 season, which left the Razorbacks to face the Buckeyes' best squad, including quarterback Terrell Pryor, who not only was among the suspended but also is the subject of another investigation regarding car deals and other benefits.
                    Pryor was named the Sugar Bowl's Most Outstanding Player after passing for 221 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for another 115 yards.
                    "We wanted to play their best players," Petrino told media during the SEC spring meetings at the Sandestin Beach Hilton in Florida on Tuesday. "But there's no question I don't understand how they were eligible to play in the game. I just don't know, I never will."
                    Petrino cited a situation he had at Louisville where players was suspended immediately and not given the pass that the Ohio State players were given.
                    "I had a situation where I was coaching at Louisville where we had two players stranded coming back from media day," Petrino said. "They went down, had something to eat and spent more money than they were supposed to. The rules are that you suspended them immediately, and then you have to file a waiver to appeal and get their eligibility restored.
                    "I think they (the NCAA) kind of changed the rules for that (Sugar) bowl game."
                    Obviously, Petrino's comments came just a day after Ohio State coach Jim Tressel resigned and at a time when the negativity surrounding Ohio State was at an all-time high. There's no telling whether he would have been as candid had Tressel, a man Petrino said he felt sorry for, still been the head coach or if Arkansas had actually won the game.

Comment

• Yeah the guy who bailed on the Falcons, flirted with every bigtime program he could while at Louisville, left LSU at the altar, and oversigns like crazy is going to lecture us on integrity...

Comment

• More sociopaths voicing support for Jim Tressel. Fellow deviants Jack Nickalus and Nick Saban express admiration...yes, admiration for the despicable, loathsome human being.

Just a day after Jim Tressel resigned as head football coach at Ohio State, fellow coaches from the Southeastern Conference, including Alabama's Nick Saban, said they were sad to see Tressel's tenure end the way it did.

Comment

• 2 more great sources...an OSU alum and Nick Saban. You are priceless. And you use Nick Saban right after you disparge Petrino.

Comment

• And are you really still defending Tressel still???? P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S.

Comment

• Its a shame when your program is dirty enough that Petrino can lecture.
                              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Haha....right?

Comment

Working...
                                X