Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm guessing Brady Hoke knows a hell of a lot more about Jim Tressel than anyone on this board. And he thinks highly of him. People don't go out of their way to compliment someone else in the press just to be "gracious".

Tressel has the respect of Hoke, Lloyd, and numerous other Michigna individuals. That should be enough for you dopes. But I guess it isn't. You don't even trust the words of your own head coaches.

Comment

• What coverup did Fisher participate in? Was there evidence that indicated he knew about the payments that were happening and decided to sit on the info because he wanted to win basketball games? When was he accused of intentionally lying to the NCAA?

Oh that's right, he wasn't. And yet, he was STILL fired. Interesting.

Comment

• Right, Fisher just looked the other way and hid his head in the dirt while rampant cheating was going on around him. So noble. And yet not one person here will call him scum or say his should be banned from coaching. No one here would refuse to shake Jalen Rose or Chris Webber's hand were it offered. Your self-righteous "let's preserve the purity of college athletics" only extends so far, after all. It doesn't extend to the cheaters you happen to like.

Comment

• Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
          What's really interesting is that the whole cfb nation with media have all their eyes with guns loaded and cocked towards columbus. Saint jim seems to have made quite a few enemies over the years other than M. The M nation is just on the sidelines watching this s@*#fest go down. The way I forsee this being resolved, is who will have the most political influence with the ncaa. Its sink or swim with saint jim.
          The media just doesn't like Tressel's public persona. A goody-goody going down is more interesting to them than someone, like, Kiffin or Mike Leach taking the fall.

Comment

• Oh poor poor persecuted St. Jim. It's not his fault that everywhere he goes, NCAA sanctions follow!!!

Comment

• This morning on Rival’s radio, Bill King was still hanging on to his view that tressel survives. The reason? The insulation that the university and columbus, oh suffers from. They’re in their own world deluded by former positive images of their football program and coach. Makes sense actually and helps to explain the inane and deflecting arguments of our two remaining osu posters here ….. well, sort of anyway. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

The thinking in these circumstances has many parallels in politics. The true facts – or the truth – is not heard and does NOT want to be heard.

Rumblings at the Rival’s web site today that while the NCAA is done, local and especially national papers, most notably Yahoo sports, aren’t. It is worth pointing out that Yahoo sports broke the Sarniak connection and the Rife story and is believed to have impeccable and reliable sources and thorough investigative journalists with integrity. Reputedly, they won’t break a story unless it is locked down accurate. Speculation is that now that the rock has been over turned, more stories of pay-for-play are surfacing. “Sounds like the Pony” sort of comments (referring to SMU) are beginning to appear.

Enthusiasm over these revelations and the nodding of heads signifying that most of us new something was up in ohio with tressle’s successes should be tempered, however. A story is one thing; meaningful testimony that the NCAA might act on beyond what has already been gathered is another. I’ve not heard any references to a federal investigation arising from the Rife – Pryor connection that might produce legally damaging testimony that the NCAA would be forced to act on.

There has also been interesting commentary on what Herbstreit meant when he publically said osu should stop bringing in players like pryor and clarett to the program. The implication is the thug/gang connection that both of these players were known to have. Herbstreit has not since elaborated but most think he does not want osu to become the Miami of the 90s.

I remain nothing but an unbiased observer in all of this with an empty plate in front of me, utensils in my fists, pounding the table for more.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 27, 2011, 12:58 PM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• A story is one thing; meaningful testimony that the NCAA might act on beyond what has already been gathered is another.

Jeff isn't that how practicegate started with the freep making allegations towards RR.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  I'm guessing Brady Hoke knows a hell of a lot more about Jim Tressel than anyone on this board. And he thinks highly of him. People don't go out of their way to compliment someone else in the press just to be "gracious".

Tressel has the respect of Hoke, Lloyd, and numerous other Michigna individuals. That should be enough for you dopes. But I guess it isn't. You don't even trust the words of your own head coaches.

I'm positive Brady Hoke knows more about Jim Tressel than anyone here, including you, sir. But to know the man as a personal friend, colleague, or counterpart are different issues. Again, I don't think these guys trade coupons or chocolate chip cookie recipes. They are opposing coaches who know each other from a working relationship, period. I'd say there are a lot of things that neither man knows about the other.

Tressel has the respect of Lloyd Carr about as far as Lloyd's 68-year old body can toss him. Please remember, your "honorable" Jim Tressel made Coach Carr, his assistants, and the entire Michigan football contingent stand for the "dog inspection" upon Michigan's arrival in Columbus. Something that Tressel never accepted responsibility for, nor apologized for. That was a big laugh-er in Columbus, ... but a unmistakable display of a lack of class on the part of Jim Tressel and the Schmucknut football family.

And I'll guarantee that Lloyd Carr remembers it ... and so does Brady Hoke, Greg Mattison, et al....

Keep squirming, Strangelove. I hope your guys continue to try and rationalize this thing. Keep going with the "everybody does it" thing, too. That's a good one.
                  Last edited by lineygoblue; April 27, 2011, 01:28 PM.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
                    A story is one thing; meaningful testimony that the NCAA might act on beyond what has already been gathered is another.

Jeff isn't that how practicegate started with the freep making allegations towards RR.
                    Yes ..... Rosenberg wrote the story. The NCAA thought there was enough information to investigate especially since Michigan did not self report any violations that would have paralleled allegations that appeared in the Freep story (mainly because those that would have reported problems didn't - that's a separate issue)

As I understand the investigative authority and process of the NCAA, they will first ask for the program allegedly breaking rules about the circumstances, discuss them and then decide collectively how to proceed. The cornerstones of NCAA compliance are voluntarism and cooperation.

This is one of the things that's kept osu in the good graces of the NCAA. I saw somewhere where osu self reported more than any other Division 1 program ... something like 325 reported rules violations over the last couple of years. That's not an indictment of the program but rather a reflection of a good compliance staff.

The problem for osu now and in this regard is that tressel's well documented lying has cast doubt on everything osu does in the eyes of the NCAA when in the past, osu was the one of the NCAA's best example of the voluntary and cooperative spirit of compliance.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Is Herbstreet the only one in stinktown to get an education?

[YOUTUBE]laPkaTI75lw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• But USC fans will be disappointed if they think Ohio State is about to suffer a similarly harsh fate. The Bush ruling was an indictment of USC's entire athletic culture, particularly in regard to compliance, which the NCAA obviously felt was lacking. The school has since beefed up those areas considerably under AD Pat Haden. Conversely, Ohio State's case was arguably a model of compliance. The school itself uncovered the infamous e-mails incriminating Jim Tressel and reported them accordingly. The Notice of Allegations revealed Monday targeted no one in the athletic department outside of Tressel, who conducted a one-man cover-up to protect his players' eligibility. Those players have been punished, and Tressel will be too, but I don't see mass scholarship cuts or a bowl ban in OSU's future.
                        Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/04/27/ncaa-ohio-state/index.html#ixzz1KkXth8L6

Comment

• Hey DSL that's the third time you dodged my question by asking one yourself that makes a comparison. Each time someone else has pointed out the irrelevancy of the comparison. I don't think you have the balls to answer the question. Do you?

Comment

• The school itself uncovered the infamous e-mails incriminating Jim Tressel and reported them accordingly.

Interesting but not completely certain this is accurate. Was it osu operating independently or in conjunction with the NCAA during the investigative period? Would the osu administration have voluntarily disclosed these emails without the NCAA standing over it's shoulders?

I really don't know the answers to those two questions but the observer hear quoted is taking some liberties that I don't think pass the sniff test.

We really won't know whether osu will receive scholarship reductions or post season play bans as a result of the tressmess from the NCAA; I'll be the first to admit there is a lot of wild speculation going on right now.

I think how the NCAA acts with respect to additional punishments for osu's football program will depend on whether or not osu tries to retain tressel ...... I can't think of a lot good reasons why they would. Precedent would favor firing him so, it's still a mystery to me why he is still employed as osu's HC.

Let's say osu does retain him and tries to defend his actions. That does involve and cast doubt on the entire athletic department's and university's culture when it comes to integrity, rule following and promoting a culture of compliance .... unless of course we don't have the full story. That osu still has tressel in their employ leads me to believe we don't and that could mean a lot of different things.

Comment

• Gene Smith didn't deviate far from the truth when he said that JT has more power to fire him than the other way around. That statement a month or so back by Gene Smith told me everything, they are going to let JT decide if he wants to stay. In doing so, the punishments by the NCAA are only going to be more severe and this will only get messier.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                Hey DSL that's the third time you dodged my question by asking one yourself that makes a comparison. Each time someone else has pointed out the irrelevancy of the comparison. I don't think you have the balls to answer the question. Do you?
                                What was your question? I'm trying to keep up with about 10 different conversations here. You were asking what evidence there was that Tressel is something other than an awful human being? I don't know, all his charity work? The time he takes to visit soldiers abroad? Google some things yourself and discover the joy that is to know the man.

Comment

Working...
                                X