Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    They certainly ran little to no power plays against Clemson. For reasons I can't possibly understand they felt lateral plays and JTB's arm were the answer.
    This is my personal pet theory, when you have a bunch of shiny tools in your toolbox, offensive coordinators want to deploy those tools. Most of these guys are old quarterbacks who view power running plays as jabs to set up the big play. They don't have the discipline to for 12 play 80 yard drives. In 85 percent of the games you play, it doesn't matter. You have the joes, it will work. But when you run into a tough team that requires a lot of power running and that isn't the calling card of your offense, it is very hard to be disciplined even if it is obvious that you can run the ball.

He would be careful not to overreact and hire some whiz bang OC that can put up a bunch of points on some crap team. You have to look at how to beat Alabama and in your division Michigan, PSU and MSU. For the future, all of those games will require that type of toughness. Especially Alabama, they have more joes and they have a preening head coach with the Joe's that will give an ass chewing to any OC that deviates too far from the power Run game.

Comment

Anyway, when UFM loses twice in a season, serious remedial measures must be taken. That bullshit cannot stand, man.
      That's the same attitude Hannibal takes and gets attacked for. Meyer won't stand for losing in the CFP. I don't think Harbaugh would/will either, but first he has to get there. A couple more recruiting classes might do it.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• That's the same attitude Hannibal takes and gets attacked for.
        Correct. Ohio State's swift move to fix a problem, despite going 11-2 and making the CFP, is something that annoys Hannibal b/c it's exactly what he thinks M should do.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          This is my personal pet theory, when you have a bunch of shiny tools in your toolbox, offensive coordinators want to deploy those tools. Most of these guys are old quarterbacks who view power running plays as jabs to set up the big play. They don't have the discipline to for 12 play 80 yard drives. In 85 percent of the games you play, it doesn't matter. You have the joes, it will work. But when you run into a tough team that requires a lot of power running and that isn't the calling card of your offense, it is very hard to be disciplined even if it is obvious that you can run the ball.

He would be careful not to overreact and hire some whiz bang OC that can put up a bunch of points on some crap team. You have to look at how to beat Alabama and in your division Michigan, PSU and MSU. For the future, all of those games will require that type of toughness. Especially Alabama, they have more joes and they have a preening head coach with the Joe's that will give an ass chewing to any OC that deviates too far from the power Run game.
          KISS

Comment

Correct. Ohio State's swift move to fix a problem, despite going 11-2 and making the CFP, is something that annoys Hannibal b/c it's exactly what he thinks M should do.
            Urban Meyer has a national championship at OSU pretty much because of this. If Fickell is your lone DC, no way do you guys run the table after that Va Tech loss.

Comment

• Froot:

For the most part, Ohio State's offense rests on core plays. They add a few wrinkles here and there as to how to block them, but they are, at bottom, the same 5 plays they always run. They beat Oregon with two plays. They required a little more to beat Alabama -- Cardale had to sling it a bit. Last year they crushed M and ND with more or less 3 or 4 plays. This year they whittled it down even more because the only crunch time play they actually trusted was a JTB lead.

That's what makes the Clemson game so goddamn baffling. But, we're done with that.

Finally, Herman was one of those "sharp, young OCs" -- though, heh, he was at ISU so talent constrained him a bit. I think it's all about getting a really good guy that's on the same core page as you and then letting him add his wrinkles. Herman called a really good game (mostly...heh), and he did a really, really nice job coaching the QBs. That can't be understated.

As for Wilson, he taught UFM the spread. They're on the same page philosophically. I mean, I watch IU play and it's watching a less talented mirror of OSU. That means, of course, he can't just rely on a 4 or 5 plays, but has to create ways to move the ball with suboptimal talent. When he had optimal talent at OU they scored a bazillion fucking points. So, we'll see.

Comment

• Urban Meyer has a national championship at OSU pretty much because of this. If Fickell is your lone DC, no way do you guys run the table after that Va Tech loss.
                This is probably true as it relates to the playoffs. What really saved that season was that the offense started to click after inexplicably being confused by VT's "bear" front. You look at the scores down the line after that game and it's bushels of points.

Chris Ash made a huge difference, though. The defense was way better. And it showed against Wisconsin, Bama and Oregon. That's where, IMO, he made his bones. He held Oregon to 20 despite being -4 in turnovers. Also, FTR, Fickell had nothing to do with it.

Comment

• Finally, recruiting-wise, Okudah announces for Ohio State on Saturday. Holmes also announces and right now the building consensus is that it will be for OSU. If Holmes joins Okudah, Wade, Williamson and Riep -- well, that's a nice secondary class.

However, that may not be all -- Kendall Sheffield -- former 5* CB that signed with Bama and left for JC -- announces this weekend, too. He wants to be 1 and done (2017 is his third season out of HS). Not sure on the back story re Bama, but he's stupid talented. Anyway, it's probably either A&M or OSU. With Lattimore and Conley both going pro, and the backups not exactly lights out, Sheffield would probably be a Day 1 starter at OSU which is what he wants. Maybe that trumps distance.

Still need a hell-raising DT and would like one more really good OL (the Moretti thing hurts). But, neither looks to be in the cards, so they may roll the dice with Lynn Bowden. At this point, I'm more than willing to bring in someone like Bowden. You can't have too many kids who scare the shit out of defenses. I prefer more than 1.

Comment

• Conley to the draft? OSU's defensive backfield was hellaciously good, but Conley didn't strike me as one of those guys.

Comment

• Conley was pretty darn good. He projects as a 2nd-ish round pick. Lattimore is 1st/2nd. Hooker is top 15. Dame Webb would be an UFA, but, alas, he is back.

So, in terms of recruiting, this secondary class is coming along at just the right time. I expect at least 2 true frosh will start/be in the rotation.

But, Conley -- smooth hips, really good in coverage, but not quite the same physical game as Lattimore, IMO. Conley will have to adjust to NFL WRs a bit more than Lattimore. But, that's why I think Lattimore is 1st round and Conley is 2nd.

Comment

• Any chance that Barrett goes to Tejas?

Comment

• I have a hard time seeing it. But, I think it's at least plausible, which is way more than I thought of Braxton transferring. I think he's more likely to declare for the NFL. I still expect JTB to be back. But, I feel good about his replacement should he opt to leave. The problem, however, is that OSU doesn't wade into the season -- they start @ IU and then host OU. The cannon fodders games aren't until weeks 3 and 4. So, a new starting QB could be problematic.

I hope he stays.

Comment

• I'm reading jtb is returning for his final year of eligibility.

Is he going to hold on to his job?
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Good lord. Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                I'm reading jtb is returning for his final year of eligibility.

Is he going to hold on to his job?
                                There is an ancient saying Buchanan. .."Ye art thou a dumbass"...and that certainly applies here...

hello
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X