Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just win baby.

At all cost.
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Indeed. Even if that means reporting a coach to all proper channels and that coach is actually a net drag on your chances of winning.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• What a fiasco. OSU self-inflicted so much damage yesterday, it was pretty entertaining. It was almost UM-esque. I go back and forth on if this was a worse PR event than the Morris Concussion Episode. The report is ridiculous too. One of the most detail-oriented coaches out there has memory issues? The deletion of old text messages after the McMurphy article? Zach Smith missing scheduled recruiting visits. "Coach Meyer did not, in our view, deliberately lie."...he just accidentally lied. So much gold.

It's really a shame that this all comes at the expense of what I think Talent accurately describes as a toxic relationship that involves domestic violence and some innocent kids, because this is incredible rivalry fodder.

Comment

• Season Prediction:

Comment

• I thought meyer's statement, the prepared one that he read from yesterday, sucked. Felt to me like he'd been forced to read it. Intended to throw some raw meat to the outraged (President Drake?). Hated the part where he admitted he'd given too much slack to ZS because he was Bruce's grandson. Someone outraged inside the u wrote that for him. I think it's BS. I think ufm gave ZS every opportunity to do well, that was entirely proper and probably did everything he should have done in accordance with the u's HR procedures.

It appears to me that both smith and meyer got ZS and CS into counseling and rehab programs .... a perfectly appropriate thing to do and one that probably checks all the boxes from an HR and Title IX perspective. Everyone of us here who has been in a supervisory position in their careers can probably say there are one or two times when I should have fired the guy but wanted to give him a chance, did and then later on fired them. Moreover, I can think of one instance in my career where I wanted to walk the guy personally out of the building but couldn't because I would have been called on not following the HR process for terminating an employee. I was also involved with a situation where the guy I worked for, got pissed off about an employees lack of respect for him and did walk them off the property. The company got sued for wrongful termination - it was a long and costly battle for the company to show the employee was properly terminated for cause. The law suit was tossed. You have to go out of your way to give an employee a lot of leeway to improve before you can fire them. I do not fault meyer one bit for the course he chose in ZS's case.

I disagree with urban when he says "it is my job to know." No, it is your job to coach football and win football games not to develop some sort of in-depth understanding of intimate details of the personal lives of every guy or gal on your payroll. It is clear that meyer knew that ZS's performance was not at the level that meyer expected and he was counseled to that effect on several occasions, again checking all the HR boxes so that when he was fired, the process leading up to that firing was in accordance with established procedures.

Suspension with time served was the correct punishment for meyer, who it appears to me, acted appropriately in ZS's case. That someone at some level within the u appears to have disregarded the things ufm did do correctly and increase the punishment, undeservedly, IMO, was nothing more than assuaging those that really have no basis to be outraged with meyer or the u but rather should direct their outrage at the sack of shit that is ZS.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; August 23, 2018, 09:20 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Good stuff, Buchanan. I've appreciated your takes. I'm not sure if I'd say UFM acted "appropriately" but I'm also not sure that I'd say he acted in a way that justified a suspension. He didn't handle ZS as well as he should have. But he didn't handle ZS in a way that merited significant punishment and the forced reading and apology last night.

Comment

• It's the Ambien's fault!

Comment

• URBAN!!!!!!!!!
                  ?????
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I've got nothing to hide. But just in case I do, how do you delete all of my text messages that are more than a year old?

Just win, Baby!
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• It's interesting that "just win, baby" is some sort of insult. I mean, I get that some schools can't win so maybe their angle is to be front hole everyone gets a trophy losers.

But, in any event, I hope Ohio State keeps on winning. I'd love to see it get to 14 out of 15.

Comment

• Originally posted by drok View Post
                        What a fiasco. OSU self-inflicted so much damage yesterday, it was pretty entertaining. It was almost UM-esque. I go back and forth on if this was a worse PR event than the Morris Concussion Episode. The report is ridiculous too. One of the most detail-oriented coaches out there has memory issues? The deletion of old text messages after the McMurphy article? Zach Smith missing scheduled recruiting visits. "Coach Meyer did not, in our view, deliberately lie."...he just accidentally lied. So much gold.

It's really a shame that this all comes at the expense of what I think Talent accurately describes as a toxic relationship that involves domestic violence and some innocent kids, because this is incredible rivalry fodder.
                        Well said. If they didn't have to stumble over themselves trying to explain this, they probably wouldn't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          It's interesting that "just win, baby" is some sort of insult. I mean, I get that some schools can't win so maybe their angle is to be front hole everyone gets a trophy losers.

But, in any event, I hope Ohio State keeps on winning. I'd love to see it get to 14 out of 15.
                          If people involved had any capacity to feel shame, Meyer would have been the third coach in your last five to have departed having brought shame to your institution. But they apparently don't. You don't get why it's an insult and probably never will because you don't know what it's like to win clean. We do.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                            I've got nothing to hide. But just in case I do, how do you delete all of my text messages that are more than a year old?
                            Me personally? When I want to delete things I know are stored on your personal devices, I call my friend Paul. He then calls his friend Vlad.

Comment

• It never made a ton of sense that he would be fired based on what we know.
                              If people involved had any capacity to feel shame, Meyer would have been the third coach in your last five to have departed having brought shame to your institution.
                              Some folks will literally say anything and just aren't worth the read. At all.

Comment

• Stan, of course, was pretty down the line (and right) on this whole thing. He missed the suspension by 2 games. Buchanan, too, has been fairly unwavering and probably even a little too much on the pro-OSU side. Hannibal pretty much nailed the obvious, too:

What mob? Where is the angry mob of OSU fans who want him gone? To me the real "welcome to 2018" is the media whipping up a fake outrage frenzy. I think that your previous estimate of 80/20 wanting him to stay/gone is too conservative. I'll bet that it's more like 95/5. ESPN will engage in massive amounts of virtue signaling and their talking heads will demand his head but nobody gives a fuck what they think anymore. OSU would make a huge mistake if they fire Urban (I hope that they do).
                                That is exactly what happened, but fortunately OSU didn't totally front hole out.

Froot was correct in this assessment (which is, more or less, what Drok was saying):

I still haven't seen enough to see why he would be fired. He is definitely guilty of bad judgment at the press conference last week, a simple no comment would have been the best answer. The big lesson going forward is don't try to handle shit yourself. as much as you may fashion yourself as Father Flanagan, it's a risky proposition.
                                Tom W was correct:

If THE ohio state university fires him it would be because they wimped out,.
                                Close call.

The Talent was massively pessimistic when the news first broke. But after reading UFM's letter:
                                Percentages he stays keep rising. I think what I thought was the most logical scenario is still very much possible and if so....no way he gets fired.
                                And...

Unfortunately, the investigators said that this was not enough. You can't rely on a police investigation, but rather must conduct your own.

Comment

Working...
                                X