Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He apparently knew that Newton played for a program known for scandalous behavior.
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• "I'll take morally-bankrupt douchebags for 500 Alex"....What is James Tressel?!?
      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• It appears DSL still has a ton of slappies to keep him company in O-Lie-O

Will they embroider "Cheater" on the shirts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
          "I'll take morally-bankrupt douchebags for 500 Alex"....What is James Tressel?!?
          Well done.

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH1jeePj80A&sns=em"]‪Ohio State Inception Mashup (Deception)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• This weekly topical series hosted by comedian Daniel Tosh delves into all aspects of the Internet, from the ingenious to the absurd to the medically inadvisable.

Comment

• I just don't know what to say about that.

Are things really that bad in Ohio?
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• That video = epic fail

Comment

• Had an interesting discussion today with a drug rep who visits our practice and who played football for UNC; his brother played for osu during the time that Todd Boeckman was displaced by tp ..... said lots of animosity on the team over that with a very entitiled and not really very good terrell pryor jumping in and taking the QB spot. Most players, according to him, thought it was fishy as if a deal had been made about playing time.

Described tressel, who came to their home during his brother's recruitment to osu, as one of the nicest guys he has ever met in the football world. Very impressive individual and who his brother told him was exactly the same guy who had dinner with him during his recruitment as when he was coaching him. Players liked him a lot.

Seems they trusted him and there was a perception that he always had the player's backs .... protected them like family. In describing how his brother felt about tressmess, he said, his brother was really disappointed seeing tressel go down like he did. Seems tressel built a group think where players took care of each other and if there was a problem it was dealt with in-house .... that is, rule breaking was acknowledged and punished but never went outside the tight nit group of players and coaches. Discipline was handled internally and there was plenty of it for guys who crossed the limits of what the coaches set. Nobody was supposed to talk about what went on inside the program/among the players and coaches. Some of this explains why Herbstreit, who has talked about it, has been shunned.

I didn't challenge our guest on any of his assertions. Not my place and there wasn't enough time but it was interesting to get an insider's perception (albeit second hand) of the culture inside osu football. Rather mafia like and clearly a type of Omerta was present actually and I've felt that way for a long time. Outsiders didn't really know what was going on .... which might explain why gene smith and gee seem so clueless and surprised about jim tressel.

I'm not endorsing this behavior on the part of tressel. His style of leadership is reflective of a type that I would reject out of hand. While it is revealing, it's not forgivable. He may try to beg forgiveness from the NCAA at the COI and it is not unlikely that this notion that he was trying to protect his family may play even though it shouldn't.
                    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; July 20, 2011, 03:57 PM.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      Had an interesting discussion today with a drug rep who visits our practice and who played football for UNC; his brother played for osu during the time that Todd Boeckman was displaced by tp ..... said lots of animosity on the team over that with a very entitiled and not really very good terrell pryor jumping in and taking the QB spot. Most players, according to him, thought it was fishy as if a deal had been made about playing time.

Described tressel, who came to their home during his brother's recruitment to osu, as one of the nicest guys he has ever met in the football world. Very impressive individual and who his brother told him was exactly the same guy who had dinner with him during his recruitment as when he was coaching him. Players liked him a lot.

Seems they trusted him and there was a perception that he always had the player's backs .... protected them like family. In describing how his brother felt about tressmess, he said, his brother was really disappointed seeing tressel go down like he did. Seems tressel built a group think where players took care of each other and if there was a problem it was dealt with in-house .... that is, rule breaking was acknowledged and punished but never went outside the tight nit group of players and coaches. Discipline was handled internally and there was plenty of it for guys who crossed the limits of what the coaches set. Nobody was supposed to talk about what went on inside the program/among the players and coaches. Some of this explains why Herbstreit, who has talked about it, has been shunned.

I didn't challenge our guest on any of his assertions. Not my place and there wasn't enough time but it was interesting to get an insider's perception (albeit second hand) of the culture inside osu football. Rather mafia like and clearly a type of Omerta was present actually and I've felt that way for a long time. Outsiders didn't really know what was going on .... which might explain why gene smith and gee seem so clueless and surprised about jim tressel.

I'm not endorsing this behavior on the part of tressel. His style of leadership is reflective of a type that I would reject out of hand. While it is revealing, it's not forgivable. He may try to beg forgiveness from the NCAA at the COI and it is not unlikely that this notion that he was trying to protect his family may play even though it shouldn't.
                      Are you somehow suggesting Tressel's not as bad as Hitler??

Comment

• That's ridiculous. Tressell=Hitler+Mao+(Stalin*3)+100.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Are you somehow suggesting Tressel's not as bad as Hitler??
                          Well, yes, actually ..... I'll give up on the Hitler comparison and give you John Gotti.

Gotti was absolutely loved by the people he took care of. As was typical of all mafioso going way back, the sins of these Godfathers were overlooked by those who earned their trust and in turn, Gotti brought them in under his wing.

Mafia Dons could commit all kinds of dreadful crimes and those that were part of the family looked the other way and in most cases would lie to make sure that law enforcement never got a whiff of testimony that could be used in a prosecution against the head of the family - the Don.

tressel was a Don who committed violations of NCAA rules instead of killing opponents and, making up his own set of rules, took care of his family by allowing certain rules violations that he felt didn't apply because they were silly, lacked application to a specific situation an athlete might find himself in, etc. tressel wrote his own rule book and probably did a pretty good job of enforcing his rules while he scoffed at those of the NCAA.

Everything we see unfolding points to tressel as a Don like figure who was a family man in every sense of the Italian word, Mafia, which means family. Obviously his wrong doing, on a scale, does not come close to the wrong doing of men like Gotti. But it has similarities and is no more excusable than any of the terrible things Gotti did for his friends and co-conspirators.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Nothing wrong with bunker mentality imo but you do have to play by the same rules everybody else plays by though.

Comment

• Good point.

Rodriguez failed at keeping the press at bay during his three years at M. He had a sort of refreshing open door policy during his early months where, as long as he didn't stray from football, he was good. Later, his crying at press conferences, the tortuous dialog regarding non-football issues he could not speak articulately about and the moronic post season senior night with Josh Grobin brought out the buzzards and started the feeding frenzy on the road kill that he was in the end.

But I think there was a distinct difference between the mentality of team that tressel built in his decade as osu's HC and that which was built by Bo and handed down to Mo and LC. Fiercely protective of their players, Bo and LC epitomized the word curmudgeons. Sure, Bo was a lot better than LC handling the press but he had a construct that he operated within that was built on honesty, integrity and sportsmanship.

This is where I think osu departs from Michigan's record in this regard. tressel had a different construct upon which he built his team ......... win at all costs, keep it in house, don't rat out your teammates, do whatever it takes to win. I can't respect that and in the end, that legacy will be jt's and by extension, osu's albatross. Their football dominance in the B10 and particularly over Michigan during Tressel's decade will be forever stained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                the moronic post season senior night with Josh Grobin...
                                Possibly the darkest of all days for Michigan football.

Comment

Working...
                                X