Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've always respected and liked Paterno and am sad to see his career being tainted like this but if he didn''t do the right thing, he didn't do the right thing and he deserves what he gets. I have a hard time viewing him as a head coach anymore. Figurehead is the word that comes to mind.

Comment

• Yeah. Sad when people stay on too long and ruin their own legacy (coughLloydcough), but that's their choice and they should pay the consequences. That said, Popeterno was still lucid when this happened and he should face criminal charges if true and possible.

Comment

• Damn, DSL after you and your convicted OSU program have spent the last 8 months "catching" you finally thought you might finally catch a break and start "pitching" again. Too bad this sick bastard is named "Sandusky" which will likely draw the inference of guilt by association....all things evil incarnate emanate from Ohio.
        Last edited by Optimus Prime; November 6, 2011, 02:39 PM.
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Yep .... I'm sure of it. sandusky ohio is named after Jerry Sandusky.

I knew that had to be some connection between that dirtball and ohio.

Good find, OP
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
            Season Standings

Weekly Standings - Trash Talk - Printable Standings - Text Rules - Group Filter - Share

No. Username Points Win% W-L-T
            1 IPSWICH 1130 55.6 105-84-0
            2 MESTER 1122 55.0 104-85-0
            3 THE PRIME 1120 58.2 110-79-0
            4 RYAN CAVANAUGH 1119 56.1 106-83-0
            5 CROCKAD79 1102 55.0 104-85-0
            6 WINGSFAN1 1096 53.4 101-88-0
            7 DR. NOSTRON 1083 54.0 102-87-0
            8 SCHRINER19 1067 54.5 103-86-0
            9 SMOLNAR 1061 53.4 101-88-0
            10 RONNY MEXICO 1048 56.6 107-82-0
            11 LINEY 1043 49.2 93-96-0
            12 ISUC416 1039 51.3 97-92-0
            13 HIVELY10 1036 52.9 100-89-0
            14 FRANK_GRIMES 1035 52.9 100-89-0
            15 STEMPELDW 1033 52.9 100-89-0
            16 WHODEAN 1024 51.9 98-91-0
            After a horrendous first two weeks I'm happy to be back in the top half, nobody did very well this week.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              There is no comparing. They do not belong on the same spectrum. For OSU fans to put them on it is revolting. Not as revolting as what went on behind the scenes in Popeterno's program, but revolting nonetheless. Peter Warrick's no longer playing; maybe you could get him in the PR department.
              It's you and other Michigan fans who are putting them in the same spectum. Tressel lying broke the rules of a game. A GAME. Sandusky molested kids and the university covered it up.

Talent and I have argued for months around here that the hyperbole and phony outrage over the memorabilia sales was WAY out of proportion to 1) the criminality of the act (i. e. no laws were broken) and 2) the morality of lying to the NCAA vs. actual criminal acts.

For months Jeff, and OP, and others compared Tressel to Hitler. Why? He broke NCAA rules. Pretty much the same thing Hitler did. I don't recall you ever objecting to this characterization and probably chuckled along with the rest, nodding agreement. So please don't lecture us on how it's OSU fans who can't place things in the proper perspective, wagging your finger, and telling us how NCAA violations are a very serious moral crime against God indeed.

If anyone here is "revolted" by Tressel anywhere close to the way Sandusky revolts them, buy yourself a clue.

Comment

• As I said in another thread, the blind-eye coverups were both motivated by winning games and making money, but what Sandusky did is obviously much more heinous. If Paterno knew, and I think he did, he should be stripped of his precious football victories and publicly shamed.
                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• For months Jeff, and OP, and others compared Tressel to Hitler. Why? He broke NCAA rules. Pretty much the same thing Hitler did.

I hesitate to restart this useless debate but feel compelled to do so.

tressel's conduct was egregious in the context and circumstances within which he acted. Clearly, in a moral context, it was not equivalent to Adolph Hitler's acts against Jews or the misery he put the German people through. But in its own context, and on scale of 1-10, tressel's behavior was about an 8.

tressel made it worse by writing books about winning with honesty and integrity. Meanwhile he was cheating and covering up for it. Give it a 9 then.

So, the point is here, don't use the Sandusky scandal at PSU and its apparent cover-up by Paterno et. al. that has significant moral implications and involves different circumstances as a means of lessening the egregiousness of tressel's acts and what most of us here perceive as a cover up of them by osu officials.

Different circumstances, different scales of evil but nonetheless significant misconduct involved in both.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I agree that the OlieO thing and Penn State's "Sandusky" deal are as different as night and day.

With OlieO, they are an institution which has agreed with other institutions under the umbrella of the NCAA to abide by an agreed upon set of rules. OlieO fans and coaches trumpeted how "clean" they were, with Mr. Tressel making money from public speaking and book writing fees, declaring what a fine example of fairness and integrity they were. What "tatoo-gate" revealed is that Mr. Tressel is a hypocrite, and lied in order to keep his star players eligible, and the people he reports to either turned a blind eye, or blatantly sanctioned what he did. We may never know for sure. As repulsive as these acts are, they are not criminal in nature, and nobody should have to serve jail time as a result of breaking those rules.

On the other hand, its quite simple with the Penn State matter. What this person (Sandusky?) was accused of is a criminal act. It is one of the most criminal acts known to mankind. If the man is guilty, he needs to go to prison. Period. And, if anyone ENABLED him to carry on his criminal behavior, or turned a blind eye to it, then THEY need to go to prison as well. If Paterno knew about it, and didn't notify the authorities, then I don't care how old he is ... he needs to go to prison.

There is a difference, but there is a price to pay in both matters, and both need to pay.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Jeff, that nonsensical argument would equally apply to comparing a shoplifter to Hitler since both were guilty of (your words) "egregious conduct in the context and circumstances within which he acted". Basically you've created a fancier way of saying that Tressel and Hitler are comparable because each did something wrong at one point in time.

A mailroom stockboy who takes company pens home with him is guilty of "misconduct". It's absurd to then compare him with Hitler. But under your method of argument, it would be perfectly valid.

It's mind-boggling that Hack would suggest that's it's the Buckeye fans trying to compare Tressel with Sandusky. Hell, from Jeff's very mouth he spouts that while serious, Sandusky's conduct should not make us forget that Tressel broke NCAA rules, and that is very serious indeed. Very serious. Almost child molestation serious. Or mass genocide serious. "Within a certain context"

Comment

• A grad assistant reports that Sandusky was sexually abusing a kid in the shower. A janitor reports that Sandusky is performing fellatio on a kid in a hallway. How the hell can anyone believe that Paterno didn't know what was going on? The Pennsylvania press better do their job and not give the old fart a free pass.
                        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Actually, everyone knows that Tressel was guilty of a lot more than just failing to forward some e-mails and there was a lot more going on in Columbus other than tattoos and memorabilia sales. The Tat 5 was simply the incident that finally blew the lid off and left some irrefutable evidence. Oustide of Ohio, Tressel was very widely regarded as a prolific cheater and OSU as an SEC-like program well before that.
                          Last edited by Hannibal; November 6, 2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• For months Jeff, and OP, and others compared Tressel to Hitler. Why? He broke NCAA rules. Pretty much the same thing Hitler did. I don't recall you ever objecting to this characterization and probably chuckled along with the rest, nodding agreement. So please don't lecture us on how it's OSU fans who can't place things in the proper perspective, wagging your finger, and telling us how NCAA violations are a very serious moral crime against God indeed.

That is outlandish DSL and you know it. I never compared Tressel to Hitler, frankly WTF is the nexus? Now Tressel to Don Corleone, of course and you've just blown 4 ovaries.

Once you get your rectum stitched up, it's time to lay some serous money on Michigan v. OSU. Don't buckle on me now, OP is bring the heavy artillery.

FWIW DSL, Bernard Madoff (AKA Jim Tressel) killed more Jews than Hitler....as my Wall Street Boys often say.
                            Last edited by Optimus Prime; November 6, 2011, 03:48 PM.
                            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• "Yeah. Sad when people stay on too long and ruin their own legacy (coughLloydcough), but that's their choice and they should pay the consequences."

Uh.. aren't you the guy lamenting that comparing OSU to PSU is so so.... how shall we say it.. morally wrong. and now you suggest that Paterno's cover-up of sexual deviancy is akin to Lloyd staying an extra year? God I love the irrationality in some people's thought process.

And as an aside, great post Jeff concerning PSU and the cover up by the Catholic Church. It will be interesting to see if the victims of Sandusky's sexual molestation can seek damages as the statute of limitations may have run, although some states amended their statute of limitations on civil claims for sexual molestation in light of the Catholic Church's widespread abuse. I don't know if Penn. did.

Comment

• I knew it was coming but as expected delusional Ohio fans came here and wanted to tell us how what they did wasn't so bad compared to this.

Comment

Working...
                                X