Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The biggest penalty is that next year's team is essentially playing an exhibition season. They can't even win the Big Ten. That won't have any long term effect, but it will probably be enough of a downer than OSU will make sure they cover things up better in the future.

The only recruits that might care are the 2012 ones.

Comment

• LMAO at the hope that this affects UFM's recruiting. My advice: don't get your hopes up, Mr. Buchanan, lest next season crush your spirit entirely.

Dunn and Spence confirmed they're still in for 2012.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• OP is correct that the teeth of the bowl ban is the loss of practice time.

Schedule Hawai'i, now! WoooOOT!

Comment

• If Blue is able to poach a recruit or two from Meyer, great but only if it fills a genuine need in the class which is almost complete. I'd much rather embarrass his ass on the field ala Carr's last Citrus Bowl in Orlando against the defending national champs. Frankly I like Hoke's few remaining targets, he should stay on course and fill the class strictly on need if you ask me.
          Last edited by Optimus Prime; December 20, 2011, 05:39 PM.
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• I'd much rather embarrass his ass on the field ala Carr's last Citrus Bowl in Orlando against the defending national champs.
            I'm sure you would. 2015 could possibly be a good year for you. But I'm really looking forward to next year. Heh.

Comment

• Matt Hayes cuts to the chase. Bless him.

Sanctions may be stiffer, but Ohio State thrilled with NCAA outcome

Even in the end, as a year of embarrassment and shame was finally put to rest, Ohio State did what it does best: It blamed others.

At least publicly.

Athletic director Gene Smith released a statement saying the university was “surprised and disappointed” that the NCAA gave the Buckeyes a one-year postseason ban and a loss of nine scholarships over three years. He spoke of his concern for student athletes, and how these NCAA sanctions punish “future students for the actions of others in the past.”

But deep down, in those secret meeting rooms where the awful, truthful details of what was will never escape, they’re elated.

Elated that a repeat offender in the eyes of the NCAA wasn’t hit with stiffer sanctions.

Elated that there weren’t significant scholarship losses for a program whose former coach lied to the university and NCAA—at least four times, according to the NCAA—about ineligible players.

Elated that a university that twice gave former coach Jim Tressel unsatisfactory reviews for NCAA compliance, was seen as “cooperative” by the NCAA.

Elated that a postseason ban lasts only one season for a program that, months after the tattoos for gifts scandal had been exposed, had nine players accepting cash from a longtime booster in the ultimate example of lack of institutional control—a debilitating charge not levied here by the NCAA.

Elated that the NCAA enforcement staff—for some still unknown reason—never sent charges of lack of institutional control to the NCAA Committee on Infractions, the group that handed down the penalties.

That’s right, the reason given for why Ohio State didn’t face more severe penalties with the LOIC charge—penalties that would’ve been more along the lines of USC’s debilitating sanctions from a year ago—was the Committee on Infractions was given a lesser penalty by the enforcement staff.

Any reasonable person, standing clear of the mess and not wearing scarlet and gray glasses, can see nine players accepting cash weeks after—key point: after—the school admitted breaking NCAA rules by knowingly playing ineligible players, is a blatant disregard for all things NCAA.

It is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, the definition of lack of institutional control.

Follow along one more time, everyone: the enforcement staff didn’t send LOIC charges, so the Committee on Infractions didn’t charge Ohio State with the worst of NCAA penalties. I’m not making that up.

Wait, it gets better. Because the NCAA deemed Ohio State “cooperative”—the same OSU administration that said it hit the “sweet spot” with Tressel’s two-game suspension when first admitting using ineligible players—sanctions weren’t as harsh as they could have been.

Instead, the NCAA went full bore on Tressel, slapping him with a five-year show cause edict that essentially eliminates him from ever coaching again at the college level.

“When a head coach engages in misconduct, that’s considered very serious,” said Committee on Infractions spokesperson Greg Sankey said. “And frankly, very disappointing.”

This whole sordid tale is disappointing. From Tressel’s self-destruction by protecting a selfish, me-first player (Terrelle Pryor); to Ohio State’s initial protection of Tressel (see: “sweet spot”) to its utter knee-capping of the beloved, successful coach; to the NCAA claiming it couldn’t hit Ohio State with the most serious charge in its holster because of a technicality.

And Gene Smith says Ohio State is disappointed.

Actually, they’re elated in Columbus.

Elated that after a year through the NCAA and public perception ringer, this is what it boils down to: The university fired a coach who was close to retiring anyway, and hired the best coach in the college game as his replacement.

Now that’s hitting the sweet spot.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1h7Q3qlg5
              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• So what are the odds OP that Urban will be suffering from chest pains before he ever coaches osu to a Bowl game?

Comment

• Pretty good Packy.

Urban had 31 arrests of 27 players during his tenure at Florida. As part of OSU's on-going commitment to excellence, they have give him a 50K "slush fund" in order to bailout players that run amuck with the law. No need to have them sit in jail and miss practice.
                  Last edited by Optimus Prime; December 20, 2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                    So what are the odds OP that Urban will be suffering from chest pains before he ever coaches osu to a Bowl game?
                    Depends on how quickly Mrs. Meyer catches him with his first co-ed ...
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Comment

• "To tell you the truth, it had nothing to do with a $500 thing between myself and a booster," Smith said. "I took the rap for a lot of people so a lot of people wouldn't get in trouble. But that story can't be told unless I want to get back at a lot of people. I'm not that type of guy. Never will."
                        - Former OSU QB Troy Smith

Comment

• Not really surprised by the bowl ban. Gene Smith should've done the smart thing and self-imposed a ban at the start of the year. Doing it after the season was already in the crapper, like Miami did, would've been pretty cheesy.

This will be easily overcome by Pope Urban, despite Jeff nervously declaring OSU's recruiting to be "in trouble".

Does also mean next year's B1G title game will almost certainly be a stinker with OSU ineligible, Wisconsin rebuilding, and PSU going through complete hell. COACH HOPE: NOW'S YOUR CHANCE!

Comment

• No apologies if he does take advantage.

Tressel proved timing is everything.

Comment

• I said Hope, not Hoke. Coach Hoke will continue to negatively recruit against us and Penn State just as he's been doing for the past year or so. That's expected. But now the door is wide open for a Purdue title game appearance.,...woooo!!

Comment

• Danny Hope will be lucky if he's coaching at Purdue by season's end.

Comment

Working...
                                X