Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously Meyer has reviewed all current staff, is not happy with Luke Fickell, hired another DC but is not prepared to deal with the backlash from BuckNut Fans nor is he willing at this point anyway to deliver a "pink slip" to Luke, not just yet. Stay tuned.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Just weighing in on recognizing the military (best conversation in this thread in years!):

I grew up in a military family, as most know, and I now work in the Veteran's Affairs Health Care system, and I can tell you with a straight face and firm conviction that our military does not get recognized near enough. What some of these folks have been through and what they still deal with today as a result of their time in the service would baffle and shock many (maybe not the well informed people here) but rather the apathetic members of our society.

I am lucky enough to meet men and women that I personally consider national treasures in many respects. I personally attend to muliple WWII vets, POWs from the last 3 major conflcts and young men and women who have suffered devastating injury from IEDs and cowardly enemy combatants.

Just yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting yet another B17 pilot who was shot down over Germany, suffered as a POW for 8 months, almost got killed accidentally by the Russians and was finally liberated by the British and brought home by our boys tattered and barely alive. And through all that, he THANKED ME for helping him. Can you believe that?! He thought he was infringing on my time because he walked in wihtout an appointment. I consider myself lucky to have met him.

If military recognition has to happen at sporting events, where all eyes are focused in our day and age, so be it. Most folks in our society barely pay attention to anyone but themselves, so if we can draw a keen eye to those who have served and put that attention on a national stage, then it's alright with me. I don't think it cheapens the experience at all, and wish the men and women who are serving or who have served are given their moment of applause as much as possible.

Comment

• In reference to earlier comments in this thread I wonder how many of our group ever bother to go on other Big Ten forums and perhaps talk a little smack. I would have zero interest in doing this. I think the obsession of posters here from that school down south is more than a bit pathological. They really must be bothered by the greatness of the great U of M! I have no problem with the comments of civilized and respectful participants such as Entropy and Clashmore. I would even venture that DSL and Talent aren't bad guys when met in person but I have taken to only briefly scan rather than read their diatribe filled entries..

As for the National Anthem I agree with those who think it is overdone and thus dilutes the symbolism it represents. And from a strictly musical point of view it is very awkward to sing as well as to arrange. I would be far happier if we had "America the Beautiful" as our national anthem. But I'm not here to disparage the importance of an anthem that can stir our patriotic passions.

Recognizing our veterans is something we probably don't do enough of. I'm talking about those who served in war time and accepted serious risk or suffered harm. Those people are true heroes IMO. OTOH, I served in peace time and don't feel it warrants any special recognition.

Comment

• Me neither -- I never do that, though it's fun here when it's not overboard. They're clearly not bad guys, DSL and Talent, but obviously it gets to be a little much on Talent's part. This constant need to rain on our parade in every possible way says plenty about the guy. If he can't get his happiness on his own, I guess he's gonna get it from dragging others down, which is much easier when you don't ever have to meet someone's gaze. Some people are like that, and this particular format for human interaction is just so remarkably suitable for them. Not much we can do about that save for knowing that this is how he gets his rocks off and taking satisfaction in not helping him to do so. That's hard, admittedly.

Re the military, and I mean this in the most respectful way -- it comes with an accidental glorification of violence. I don't want my child connecting the respect for servicemen and the honoring of them at appropriate times with things like the Call of Duty video games, but that's exactly what happens. It's a logical thing in a young mind to take one thing and extrapolate it to the other.

Comment

• This is a small group on this forum ..... most of us knowing each other if only through tail gate meetings. The diversity of backgrounds and the quality of the analysis and generally respectful discussions here is what makes this place desirable as an internet forum. That's why talent, dsl and Clash hang around here. For those that have lurked or posted elsewhere, and I have, there is no comparison. Quality stuff, for the most part, right here. You can have the discussions, rants, baiting and name calling I see elsewhere. I find that sort of thing pretty useless.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Not much we can do about that

Bozo filter works wonders.

Comment

• As a Dual-National I proudly sing both Anthems, Canadian & American with equal vigor and enthusiasm. I must say there is a little something extra in terms of what Francis Scott Key wrote during the Battle of 1812 that stirs the emotions.....very similar I might add to Louis Elbel's Masterpiece!
                ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• As a dual national I find Oh Canada to be completely boring in comparison. However my favorite anthem is the rendition of the East German one in Top Secret.

Comment

• Agreed Hack, "Oh Canada" sucks, unless you sing it in French.

Which I might add the women of Quebec & British Columbia are among the finest specimens in the world.

Soviet Union's anthem ranks up there, as for the East German, it is usually spoiled when the camera pans to the "three testicle" gymnast that just stole Gold during the Olympics.
                    Last edited by Optimus Prime; December 23, 2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• I wonder how many of our group ever bother to go on other Big Ten forums and perhaps talk a little smack.
                      I only post in one other forum, and that is the one over at The Wolverine. And I don't post there very often. Mostly just to gain information on recruiting and what current players are up to.

Many years ago, I posted in a MSU forum for about a month. They booted me out. I probably deserved it. I also posted some years back in a Buckeye forum, and I lasted all of 24 hours there. As they tossed me out, they suggested that I was not borne of the human species. So, that was the extent of my forays in to other teams' forums.

I have the same feeling as Doc Hodgeman about my military service. There is no way I can consider myself in the same class of military service as someone like Jeff Buchanan, who put his life on the line every time he strapped himself into the cockpit. I also have two brothers-in-law who were Marines. One who as an ordinary grunt slogging thru rice paddies in Viet Nam and nearly getting killed several times. The other served in an artillery unit in Viet Nam, and their lives were on the line daily, whenever the NVA would zero in on their positions.

Me, I worked in an office, worked a 9-10 hour day, lived in off base housing, spent 2 nights per week on base, typed orders, sorted mail, and did other various office tasks. Definitely not in the same category. I had it very easy. So, I always honor my fellow servicemen who put their necks on the line daily, than I do myself. Its only right.

Finally, I think the Canadian national anthem is awesome.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• So's their whiskey and beer!
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• tsk ... tsk ... tsk ...

Cleveland 19 News in Ohio is first, fair and everywhere when it comes to breaking news, severe weather forecasting, investigative reporting, traffic alerts and in-depth sports coverage for Northeast Ohio.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Of course this will be applied to the Urban Fryer's arrest record at OSU. It is looking more and more like OSU got the coach that went 6-6 and spent most of his last season curled up on a hospital gurney and NOT the champion. Wheels are coming off and quick.

Comment

• This is a small group on this forum ..... most of us knowing each other if only through tail gate meetings. The diversity of backgrounds and the quality of the analysis and generally respectful discussions here is what makes this place desirable as an internet forum. That's why talent, dsl and Clash hang around here. For those that have lurked or posted elsewhere, and I have, there is no comparison. Quality stuff, for the most part, right here. You can have the discussions, rants, baiting and name calling I see elsewhere. I find that sort of thing pretty useless.
                              This forum has a few folks who will honestly engage in a discussion and bring a good perspective to the table. You, Mr. Buchanan, are the most genuine, good faith poster I've ever encountered -- well, now that Doug doesn't post anymore--that was a tie. You are reason enough to visit. There are a few others who I enjoy chatting with or reading. So, yes, this forum is by far and away the most painless place get M info and perspective (especially on their own team) -- the Scout/Rivals/etc forums -- those are entirely useless. Their problem, as with any such forum, is the "masses" -- a problem that doesn't plague this forum and its relatively low numbers.

WRT to Hack's question:

Fickell was never higher than co-DC (with Heacock), and my understanding is Heacock had final say and called the defenses. UFM clearly likes Coach Fickell and trusts enough to put him on his staff, but I think he wanted a more experienced DC. The fact that Withers has the reputation as a very good recruiter and has ties to Carolinas is, I think, the "plus" hire he was looking for.
                              Last edited by iam416; December 24, 2011, 08:35 AM.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• It will be interesting though if there are any Withers-Fickell clashes.
                                I have never been a fan of a co-anything, but if anyone can make it work it will be Meyer.

Comment

Working...
                                X