Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime
    Hate to disappoint you Rob F but there is no way this wholesome family vacation turns into your bizarre fantasy:

No judgement needed on whether heterosexual sex is bizarre or not but its your call whether to partake or not.

Comment

• looking at the highlights from the scrimmage ... it looks like our passing game is in good shape. Darboh is an upgrade on roundtree. I still don't see the OL creating any running lanes --- this could be a major issue, still!!

Comment

• My sense of the M defense from a 30,000 foot view, is that it's still lacking the talent to be much more than good.

OSU's biggest concern on defense is MLB and depth. Curtis Grant has to finally get it. Mike Mitchell may supplant him if he doesn't. Shazier is fantastic. I think Josh Perry is going to be really good. But then you get into frosh. Not a strength.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• My sense of the M defense from a 30,000 foot view...
          5-mile restraining order?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            My sense of the M defense from a 30,000 foot view, is that it's still lacking the talent to be much more than good.
            Agreed. Jake Ryan is the lone playmaker, but it's still a huge upgrade from 2008-2010. Got to crawl before you can walk...and run. Frank Clark and/or Taco Charlton could emerge this season. Jabrill Peppers is a future playmaker. I think they'll come. I'm satisfied if they improve every season.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• FWIW I didn't think M's defense last season was as good as the 'numbers' said, talent. I didn't think M played very good competition (offensively) last season. M could be a better defense in '13 bit the numbers might say they weren't as good as the offenses they play in '13 are better than in '12.

B10's offenses sucked in '12 outside of maybe 3 team, one of those M didn't play.

Comment

• I don't disagree, WM. I look at that defense vs OSU's offense and I don't get cold sweats or anything. They still may end up being the best defense OSU plays this season, too.

As I said, my impression was that they have a few really nice pieces, but the "filler" wasn't as good as it needs to be. I like some of the guys they have in the their past 2 classes. Based on my opinion of M's secondary AND Dymonte Thomas, I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute.

I do expect them to be better.

Comment

• I like the 'filler' more than you do, I see that M is lacking the 'elite' talent types (NFL draftees, All B10 caliber) on both sides of the ball as the defense doesn't have any significant weaknesses (relative to B10, ND competition) at any position group and neither really does the offense..

Defensively Frank Clark (Jr) 'might' develop into one, Jake Ryan (Jr) is already one on defense and Dymonte Thomas (Fr) is a good bet to develop into one. James Ross (So) might develop into one too. I like the incoming and young talent a ton, I just feel the defense is another year away from being one teams fear...

Offensively they will only be as good as Devin Gardner allows it to be and recent reports are very positive on him along with an improved rushing attack. M appears to be improved pretty much across the board on offense (QB, RB, WR, TE, OL) though I'd again argue the 'elite' talent around Gardner isn't quite where it needs to be. The worry is the interior OL which has lots of talent but is mostly underclassman (redshirt freshman at both guard spots; Kalis & Braden) and how they along with the running backs will improve the running game without Denard... For the offense to be as good as we want, it's going to need the pass to setup the run and vice versa so the play action works as PA is a staple of Borges' offense.

Comment

• I have M as suspect at interior OL and at WR. I think Gardner will be very good. I like M's offense better than M's defense. I think M's offense is probably an outside playmaker (or 2) and some OL experience away from being outstanding. As I said, I think defense has further to go.

I hesitate to break this civil conversation with a reference to UFM, but for those interested, an article on UFM's earliest days -- the BG days that are never talked about -- except in NW Ohio: http://www.toledoblade.com/Ohio-State/2013/08/18/Meyer-follows-BGSU-blueprint.html

Comment

• BTN is running a series of hour long shows previewing each team with lots of video of practice sessions and interviews. Last night they covered ohio and Indiana. I have to admit the ohio practices showed scary good athletes and unbelievable intensity in their coaching staff, esp UFM.

OTOH the Indiana practices appeared relatively subdued by comparison although you could see they have a lot of returning starters and some good offensive talent. Their coach seemed more balanced and yet pretty intense also. I had forgotten IU nearly beat that "team down south" last year with a real offensive show.

Check the local listings. Today they are covering Purdue and (I think) Penn State. Lots of interesting stuff.

Comment

I have M as suspect at interior OL and at WR.
                        I expect OSU will have suspects at quite a few positions.

Comment

• LOL!
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Good one, Hack.

Comment

I have M as suspect at interior OL and at WR. I think Gardner will be very good. I like M's offense better than M's defense. I think M's offense is probably an outside playmaker (or 2) and some OL experience away from being outstanding. As I said, I think defense has further to go.

From 30K feet, your concerns about M's interior line match ours. My close-up view is that the fellas at RG, C and LG are interchangeable with Kalis having the best grip on the LG spot. We really don't know who will play at RG and C. Kalis has never been mentioned as a C while Braden and Miller, reportedly the best of the mix of the competition between Braden Bryant, Glasgow, and Miller seem to be headed to C. That is a hugely important position to have strength, technique and smarts. Molk.

All these OL guys seem to be decent players but they also seem to be the equivalent of last year's front that featured Barnum and Mealer. Meh. M had no inside run game, none. But it can't be worse so, there will be improvement.

M does not yet have the depth on the OL like it is developing, if not already has, on the DL.There aren't any standout OL guys pushing the apparent starters (Lewan, Kalis, Miller/Braden/Glascow, Miller/Braden/Glascow, Schofield for playing time. It's like 4 guys battling for 2 interior line positions (RG and C). Id' like to see an organized three deep at all three of the interior line positions and T by game week. There isn't one now and I doubt very seriously there will be one.

It appears to me, the mix of guys on the OL, although good enough, is not going to produce a consistently good starting five and M would sure as hell like to have that when they play ND who, BTW, should have the best front 7 M will face in 2013. Its an equalizer that ND will have a shitty offense. I expect a brutal battle and a gut wrenching finish to that game. These are great, great games. Under the lights has made it better. I hate to see the series end.

The interior OL has the possibility of improvement over last year, but there were too many breakdowns last year. This interior line is susceptible to that and probably won't create consistent rushing lanes for two good backs who are not going to look anywhere near as good as they probably are early on. baring injuries, though, the OL should be ready for osu.

I also think you are correct about questioning M's wides. Big unknown. If Gardner and his wides develop a consistent deep threat, B10 defenses, not very good top to bottom, are going to struggle to hold M's O in check.

Gallon, while not a true wide, is as good a play maker as there is. He runs excellent routes and is a ball magnate. I expect Gardner to throw a ton of balls his way. They'll be big play catches. It remains to be seen how many balls will be thrown to the TEs. Depends I guess but I see them doing a lot of down field blocking for power run plays that break contain.

I think you're underestimating the M defense under Mattison. It appears the front 4 have the skills that Mattison wants but what he has is depth and he is emphatic that he is going to rotate each position up front three deep. He's got two big, powerful NGs/DTs that give him some options in play calling. The same goes for LBs. I would put Mattison in the top 5 of all time really good LB coaches and DCs. He seems to be pretty good in the player development department bringing on young guys fast who seem to really want to play for him.

M might have entry to the top 2 or 3 DB units in the conference. Lots of depth here too. If Mattison develops the kind of man coverage he likes from his corners and the new guys don't make a lot of costly new guy mistakes on the back side, Mattison can get pressure with either for or five guys rushing the QB. Four man rushes, something Mattison says he wants and is pushing his defense to do well, shuts off that pass/run short zone that has been M's weakness for a while.

Anyway, appreciate your take; also good recruiting stuff but none of that makes me have any more love or respect for that squalid, cheating hell hole that is osu. Fuck them.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Chicago — Former Michigan and NFL receiver David Terrell is free on bond after being arrested on a drug charge.
                                The Chicago Sun-Times reports Terrell was arrested Friday after police received a call of people smoking marijuana in a building. Authorities say Terrell and two others were observed with cannabis and “materials to package and distribute narcotics” in plain view.
                                Authorities said the 35-year-old Terrell struck an officer’s hand during an interview.
                                Terrell is charged with felony manufacturing or delivery of 30-500 grams of cannabis, and a misdemeanor count of battery.
                                Terrell, who played at Michigan from 1998-2000, was drafted by the Bears in the first round in 2001. At Michigan he had 152 catches for 2,317 yards and 23 TD, and wore the famous No. 1 jersey for the Wolverines.
                                He played four seasons with the Bears and one with the Broncos. He finished his NFL career with 128 receptions and nine touchdowns.
                                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Working...
                                X