No announcement yet.

Brady Unlimited III: Wolverines in the NFL & NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the sports press trying to create something that probably isn't that big a deal. Take the Super Bowl QB down? That's a big story line that sells copy or glues eyeballs.

If the deflated balls were the reason the Patriots won the latest SB, then Peety is absolved of any stupid coaching decisions in that game because it was the balls by God, it was the balls!

Story will be dead in the news cycle in about a week.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• This isn't actually about the effects. The act was a misdemeanor. It netted the Patriots little advantage -- though, obviously, some advantage -- why else would they do it? The problem is the intent to willfully violate rules to gain an advantage. As with a number of "gates" -- it's not the act -- it's the lie, the cover-up or the dishonest intent that most offends.

The Patriots pretty fucking clearly broke the rules intentionally for a trivial advantage. Brady almost certainly knew about it (I mean, seriously -- are NE equipment guys going to do something to the balls w/o Brady knowing?). I think he'll receive some sort of punishment -- at least a fine and possibly a suspension. So, I don't think it will just go away.

Personally, I don't really care, but when "integrity of the game" is being bantered about I think the writing is on the wall that the sanctimonious will have their day -- as they usually do.
      Last edited by iam416; May 7, 2015, 07:56 AM.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I hate to say this but I agree with talent. It's the cover-up.

Comment

• It's also the fact that if you let the little things go, people will have the courage to start the bigger things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• The big offense isn't doctoring the balls. That has been a fairly common occurence. The procedure almost begs for this too happen. You present them to the refs and they adjust the balls if it is over or under.

It is more that they did it after the refs inspected the ball. That seems to be out of the ordinary.

This is similar to players corking the bat in baseball, there is little science that says it gives you and advantage, but players still do it.

Comment

• Or any number of things that don't leak out. Teams and players are always pushing the limits in ways that bend/break the rules. If we want to yammer about the integrity of the game IMO it starts with the quality of the refs.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                This isn't actually about the effects. The act was a misdemeanor. It netted the Patriots little advantage -- though, obviously, some advantage -- why else would they do it? The problem is the intent to willfully violate rules to gain an advantage. As with a number of "gates" -- it's not the act -- it's the lie, the cover-up or the dishonest intent that most offends.

The Patriots pretty fucking clearly broke the rules intentionally for a trivial advantage. Brady almost certainly knew about it (I mean, seriously -- are NE equipment guys going to do something to the balls w/o Brady knowing?). I think he'll receive some sort of punishment -- at least a fine and possibly a suspension. So, I don't think it will just go away.

Personally, I don't really care, but when "integrity of the game" is being bantered about I think the writing is on the wall that the sanctimonious will have their day -- as they usually do.
                I can't disagree with this but, so what. There are rules of warfare like the Geneva Conventions but nobody, especially the Islamist extremists now-a-days, abide by them.

Besides, we're not talking about civilized society and all that here; we're talking about a f'n game. Football.

...... and, I'm no expert on the law here but, in general terms, would you convict on a probability or a certainty. That's the standard I'd apply to Brady.

I do think, given the team's history (remember the charges that Bilechick was reading the opponent's play cards off hidden cameras?), you fine the shit out of Craft. He's the top guy and if you hurt these guys, the owners, with meaningful fines, they'll make sure the rules are followed with integrity.

Oh, and I over-heard Whoopy Goldberg on The View today talking about this and busting the chops of the Sanctimonious among that idiot crowd. And no, I don't watch that shit show but my wife Ann has it on all the time.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• This is story for people who don't watch football to get excited about. Wake me up in September.

Comment

• You should read the Wells report it is pretty funny. The Patriots come as a bad villian in some pulp if ton novel.

Comment

• I'm no expert on the law here but, in general terms, would you convict on a probability or a certainty. That's the standard I'd apply to Brady
                      I really don't view this as a criminal matter. No one is going to jail. In a civil case the standard is more probable than not. Most employers, when dealing with employee misdeeds, don't apply a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard. There's really not much doubt what happened. The only question is whether you view from an intent-based perspective or from a harm-based perspective.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        This is story for people who don't watch football to get excited about. Wake me up in September.
                        This, right here. Said perfectly.

Comment

• I agree.

Whatever amount the ball was underinflated had absolutely 0% effect on the outcome of the AFC Championship game. The Patriots were better. The Colts couldn't score, and couldn't stop the run.

But, go ahead and suspend Brady for his first 4 games. The networks will love that.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• If it isn't a big deal, then it shouldn't be a rule. But it absolutely makes a difference in throwing, catching and handling a ball. He obviously broke the rules and should be punished appropriately. I'd say two games is pretty fair for blatantly cheating. I'm sure others do it too. Doesn't make any difference. Don't want the consequences? Then don't cheat. Pretty simple.
                            Last edited by drok; May 8, 2015, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• There's a million "rules" in the NFL that aren't a big deal. This is just one of them. It'll be like McGary testing positive for weed. He'll be suspended, then 3 months later it won't be a rule anymore.

Comment

• Barry Bonds juiced for years, and hit oodles of home runs, and is recognized as the best home run hitter ever.

So Brady used an under-inflated ball for half a game.

Maybe he gave the ball steroids....
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X