No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That post was a tad premature, as Iowa State won the game 23 - 20. Campbell has ISU at 7-1 in the Big 12, and a chance to play in the conference championship game for the first time in ISU’s history. They also have a shot at ISU’s first EVER Big 8/12 conference title. ISU’s last conference title was in 1912 - which is pre-Big 8. To say that ISU is playing above its talent level under Campbell is a huge understatement. ISU is one of the historically worst P5 teams, by a long shot.

Comment

• Yeah, Matt Campbell has coached Iowa State to wins over Oklahoma and Texas (both on the road, but * for Covid). They’re headed to the Big12 title game for the first time in school history. I imagine the resources/talent/facilities he has to work with has to be in the bottom 25% of P5 schools. Clearly the guy can coach.

Comment

• This Oregon vs Oregon State game... insane.

Iowa State vs Texas.

In hindsight, yes, the decision to punt the ball helped Iowa State win the game.
        I still hate the decision. Far too consecutive. No guarantee you get the ball back with that much time remaining in the game. Down 4 points with ~4 minutes left in the game near midfield. You go for it because possession of the ball is too important late in the 4th Q. Who cares about field position.
        If Iowa State failed on the 4th down attempt, either:
        - Texas gets a field goal and Iowa State still needs one TD.
        - Texas punts and your field position is nitpicky worse.
        But yes, hindsight says Iowa State did the right thing. Doubt Iowa State fans would be happy if the Texas offense picked up two 1st downs.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Good bye Oregon

Oregon State 41
          Oregon 38
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• College Football needs to revert back to not letting coaches call time-outs. I'm so sick of plays that get whistled dead at the snap because the coach calls a fucking timeout. Between that an unnecessary replays, some games feel like slogs.

Comment

• I agree with that. There was some talk a few years back about a rule change that would have forbidden the defense from calling a time out once the huddle was broken or the team was set, but it went nowhere.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Just go back to making the players on the field call the timeout. What was wrong with that? How is the game supposed to be better now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  Just go back to making the players on the field call the timeout. What was wrong with that? How is the game supposed to be better now?
                  When the officials meet with the HC before the game, one of the questions we ask is "Who can call time outs... do you want to be the only one, or can anyone call them?" Sometimes the HC says "just me". Other times they say "anyone can call it".

I think the idea behind the HC calling time outs has to do with having an official already within ear shot on the sidelines, and its easy to get his/her attention. This way a coach isn't screaming at his QB who is down on the 10 yard line, trying to get him to call a time out, while he's got a HL or LJ right in front of him who can do it.

Wiz may be able to explain more about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

When the officials meet with the HC before the game, one of the questions we ask is "Who can call time outs... do you want to be the only one, or can anyone call them?" Sometimes the HC says "just me". Other times they say "anyone can call it".

I think the idea behind the HC calling time outs has to do with having an official already within ear shot on the sidelines, and its easy to get his/her attention. This way a coach isn't screaming at his QB who is down on the 10 yard line, trying to get him to call a time out, while he's got a HL or LJ right in front of him who can do it.

Wiz may be able to explain more about it.
                    You nailed it liney. It was all about allowing coaches more control. I recall at both the NFHS and NCAA levels only captains or a designated player could call timeouts and in pregame meetings we wrote down the numbers of those individuals. Somewhere along the way it changed to the HC. There were some legitimate reasons for it...many times with the clock bleeding down it was difficult for a crew to get the clock stopped on a timely basis when a captain had to find an official...official had to signal...and clock operator had to respond...precious seconds could be gone. I do despise the last second FG bullshit though.
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I do despise the last second FG bullshit though.
                      Yeah, me too. I'm not sure what could be done to stop that, but its petty to call 2-3 time outs in a row to freeze a kicker. But, sometimes it works, so I guess that means the practice will continue.

Comment

• Yep
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Will Urban Meyer go to Tejas?

Comment

• If he does, it won't be to coach the Longhorns.

I've heard they have some great BBQ joints though. Maybe he's going to check them out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              Will Urban Meyer go to Tejas?
                              I wouldn't count it out but I'll miss him on Big Noon Kickoff. He's really good on TV.

Comment

• I think that Urban's got to get back into coaching. I can't imagine a guy who is that elite at coaching not loving the game enough to coach it until he is about to drop dead or they had to drag him out of his office. Pretty much every other elite coach that immediately comes to mind has been that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X