The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
    One issue I don't think has been brought up regarding this...I can see major discrepancies in players "compensation"...the stars are going to make major bank...and that's about it...I think you could see some negative synergies/jealousies when the big uglies who do the dirty work get squat but the prim a Donna stars make sick cash...you wanna block 70 plays a game for the Palmetto Barbie whilst you are getting the shit beat out of ya?
    Some people will make more than others, that much is certain. But I think there would be opportunities for a stud OL. They are usually some of the most coveted draft commodities. They have no shortage of D1 suitors as well. There will certainly be issues and growing pains as this new era evolves.

My long term prediction is that P5 schools will end up creating some sort of “salary floor” so that you don’t have decent players getting beat up for free. The end result will be fewer varsity sports and corresponding scholarships.

Comment

• The end result will be fewer varsity sports and corresponding scholarships.
      That's what I'm concerned about. Are we going to see football revenue diverted into player's pockets instead of the non-revenue sports? There will be fewer women's sports if football revenue isn't there to pay the bills.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• There might not be anyone better at promoting their brand than Michigan. They need to get with some smart people over at the Ross School of Business and figure out creative and lucrative ways for their athletes to monetize their talents.
        This.

My concern is what I spoke of above that Geezer fleshed out a bit ....... an M administration made up of arrogant fucktards. As it see it there will be barriers thrown up to paying athletes any amount via any avenue. Sure, M has to adjust to the new reality and they will but guaranteed they will fuck up a great opportunity to prosper in sports. M athletics has done a few good things and some enormously bad things that have seriously damaged the football program - once the doorstep to the U. Think Dave Brandon's tenure as AD. Unmitigated disaster.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

That's what I'm concerned about. Are we going to see football revenue diverted into player's pockets instead of the non-revenue sports? There will be fewer women's sports if football revenue isn't there to pay the bills.
          I will survive without women's golf or men's rowing.

Comment

• Survival of the fittest. Bring it on.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• For those that follow the FCS division, this year is bringing major realignment.

* Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman are defecting to the SWAC, the other historically black league. This leaves the MEAC with only six (football) schools and an uncertain future. They may have to recruit a program out of Div II

* Both the WAC and the Atlantic Sun have decided to start sponsoring football and they are poaching a bunch of teams from existing leagues.

* Eastern Kentucky, one of the founding members of the Ohio Valley Conference over 70 years ago, is leaving for the new Atlantic Sun. They're also taking Jacksonville State with them, a pretty big blow for the OVC. By 2022 the Atlantic Sun is also set to take a few schools from the Big South.

* The Southland Conference, once one of the premier conferences in 1-AA, is losing half its membership to the WAC, including their best program Sam Houston State. They only have six teams left and only two schools in Texas.

Comment

• With amateurisim now officially dead, it will be interesting to see if the attitudes towards players who fuck up will remain the same, or if it will be considered "unfair" if the 5-star QB who get a free lease on a BMW and six figures of endorsement deals gets it all pulled if he turns out to be a bust.

No more kid glove treatment for the 18-22 year olds, and no more "they are just kids" excuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  With amateurisim now officially dead, it will be interesting to see if the attitudes towards players who fuck up will remain the same, or if it will be considered "unfair" if the 5-star QB who get a free lease on a BMW and six figures of endorsement deals gets it all pulled if he turns out to be a bust.

No more kid glove treatment for the 18-22 year olds, and no more "they are just kids" excuse.
                  Good point. If Johnny Rocketarm turns out to be John O'Korn, he ain't going to get to keep that BMW or those endorsement deals.

Comment

• How many of you remember a day when we thought that a kid leaving early out of HS was a ridiculous idea?

Tip of the iceberg. My only surprise is that Alabama didn't lure a kid into doing it before OSU did. I wonder what kind of money deal OSU is giving him?

Comment

• So did he graduate HS?

Comment

• He can't earn NIL as a HS player in Texas. Ohio State would much rather have him in the 2022 class. Now they have THREE QBs in the 2021 class including two top 50 QBs.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          So did he graduate HS?
                          If I understand correctly, he will graduate before the Fall semester begins, because he's taking summer classes to fulfill the Texas HS grad requirements. He only needed one more HS class to qualify. Nice gig if you can hack going to HS in 110 degree heat.

This is only the beginning. This will be happening everywhere. Money talks louder than a senior year of HS. I'd probably have done the same. I hated HS.

Comment

• Kansas Senator Roger Marshall is requesting that the DOJ investigate ESPN's role in the possible destruction of the Big12.

Comment

• I reiterate: The Big XII's days were numbered when the Huskerz and Buffs left. ESPN may have greased the rails with its shameless promotion of the SEC, but the B12 was never going to survive anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                I reiterate: The Big XII's days were numbered when the Huskerz and Buffs left. ESPN may have greased the rails with its shameless promotion of the SEC, but the B12 was never going to survive anyway.
                                Correct. Mizzou left too. Adding TCU did nothing and West Vagina was a puzzle piece that never fit.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X