No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the new NCAA proposal is adopted then it will only solidify financial motivations trumping geographic. The real interesting thing, IMO, is what happens to a school like nFw (or Vandy) or other B10/SEC schools that aren't as well-heeled.

It's not going back, at least as far as football is concerned. It may go back for basketball and non-revenue sports. That would make the most sense to me. A football superconference and a regression to normalcy and commonsense for other sports.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ^

I've expected football and basketball to leave the NCAA for a while. Basketball and football need their own governing bodies for their unique ability to produce revenue/profit and pay their employees.

Comment

• It's going to be a hard road to separate it. Women athletes are already suing for "lack of NIL support" from their universities and disparate treatment in facilities, training table, uniforms, and other support in their suits and Tite IX complaints (for example, at the University of Oregon). Further, attempts to cancel non-revenue-generating sports have generated lawsuits (Men's Track at Clemson, for example).

NIL is going to continue to be problematic until we have some laws dealing with it, whether we separate from the NCAA or not.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I assume, AA, that you're talking federal legislation, right? There have been multiple bill submissions by various Congressmen to shape and control NIL. That in itself demonstrates how nobody agrees on what to do and how to do it. This is a Forbes article describing 4 of them. Each one is very different in it's targets and intent. Not pay-walled.

We have three new bills and a draft for discussion at the federal level, but will we ever have enough consensus for a federal NIL bill?
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, cohesive Federal legislation. Until then, Title IX and Wild West recruiting will continue. Bama will be fine. We have strong NIL collectives, but I think it will continue to hurt the game.

The first thing the NCAA should do is bring back the 'must sit out a year upon xfer'. It would cool the jets of some of it. For example, what Miami has done recruiting standing players of other teams since NIL is egregious. Ditto Tennesee and Oregon (and a few others).
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• NIL is actually an easier path to avoid Title IX issues because you can separate the dollars from the University. The problem is that Title IX investigation and, frankly, an IRS investigation (are these entities issuing W2s? lol) would lay bare exactly what's going on -- even though we mostly know.

Once they give Universities the power to pay then T9 is a real issue and ginormous problem. Now the revenue sports that fund entire athletic departments aren't really adding that much more revenue but their costs have gone through the roof, as will the costs of funding non-revenue sports. The end of that road is obvious,.

That would be the one place federal leglislation could help. Well, the most obvious place. If they elected to carve out an exception to the T9 analysis.

Comment

• Yeah. Agreed. It hasn’t stopped suits from happening, though. Do they have legs? Maybe not. But they’re expensive and are just starting. University presidents don’t like expensive.

Comment

• Well, the arguments are pretty clear, right -- are these groups coordinating with the University to pay players. If the lawsuit can establish complicit University actions, then you have an issue.

This is purely a recruiting/retention (portal bullshit) issue. Where there is absolutely no discernible NIL and it's purely a payment. The NIL collectives that get star players money are going to be perfectly fine because they can point to a real NIL value. But, the value most kids are realizing is simply playing the sport and that's an issue if you don't have a big ol' wall between the University and the money.

Comment

• Yeah, and at some of the universities (See: Tenn, Miami, TAMU, and others), the NIL collective is a de facto “coach” - or, better stated, contractors under the direct supervision of the coaches, which absolutely blurs the line.

Comment

• Good stuff you two. Helps clear up the complexities.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• there are players who might get more out of the NIL funds then by going pro. Your heisman trophy finalists might weight that option., bidding war between the collleges and the pro teams

Comment

• The first big transfer portal domino. Bo Nix replacement at Oregon. Michigan plays Oregon next season. Also, I recall seeing that Oregon could be a Dante Moore candidate last week. Doubt that’s true anymore.

Go Navy! Beat Army.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Yeah, Gabriel to Oregon pretty much shuts the door on a Dante transfer there. Question now will be is JJ coming back for Michigan. If he does, Dante will likely look elsewhere. If Dante commits to Michigan, that's likely because he knows JJ is moving on.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I wonder why Gabriel wanted out of Oklahoma. Money?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                If the new NCAA proposal is adopted then it will only solidify financial motivations trumping geographic. The real interesting thing, IMO, is what happens to a school like nFw (or Vandy) or other B10/SEC schools that aren't as well-heeled.

It's not going back, at least as far as football is concerned. It may go back for basketball and non-revenue sports. That would make the most sense to me. A football superconference and a regression to normalcy and commonsense for other sports.
                                I agree with the thrust of your post, but I think the NCAA proposal to pay athletes has a lot more to do with Title IX. I suspect that no one would argue with paying a football player $ 30,000 annually, but equity would mean that a female field hockey player should get the same. There are lots of wokesters in politics who actually believe female athletes are equal to men. (I suggest watching the trailer for "Lady Ballers")

In a world where women’s sports is being trans-formed, The Daily Wire calls foul with the most triggering comedy of the year. A once-great coach is on a hila...

I'd propose a 64-team football subdivision split into four 16-team conferences. I'd adopt the soccer idea of relegation of the worst 8 teams to be replaced by the best of the remaining teams that want to play big-boy football.
                                I'd stipulate that funding for any sport should be based on the amount of revenue that that sport produces and adopt a formal revenue-sharing regime for the big-boy division of football.
                                I'd also pressure the NFL and the NBA to pay into a compensation pool because the colleges act as minor leagues

Comment

Working...
                                X