No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU competes with statue QBs and pedestrian NFL receivers. Keshawn Martin and BJ Cunningham were good college receivers but they haven't done much at the pro level. Tony Lippett will get drafted but he doesn't scream NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
      ...but that premise exists based on protection..
      No -- I think that it exists on the premise that it is easier for a shitty receiver to get open than it is for a solid lineman or a tight end to make a block. The world's worst receiver takes a pass rusher out of the box simply by existing. We saw this at Michigan the past two years. When it became obvious that our tight ends couldn't block, the only way that our offense ever worked was when we didn't have any tight ends on the field. It's not just the passing game that is easier with four WRs, but the running game. This is why spread offenses constantly rank at the top in ypc, as opposed to power running offenses that are ironically less effective running the ball than finesse offenses. It's just really damn hard to stop the run with only six guys in the box. Calling more holding would reduce yards and points, no doubt. I doubt it would change the optimal configuration for most offenses, howver, now that mediocre quarterbacks can complete 60% of their passes. We would never go back to 1970s levels of productivity.

Another bit of really bad conventional wisdom that has died is the fear of using a running quarterback. Running quarterbacks aren't new since the creation of football. What is new over the past 10-15 years is that coaches no longer stupidly try to shoehorn running quarterbacks into pro style roles by instructing them to "STAY IN THE POCKET". There were probably countless Marcus Mariotas and Braxton Millers in the 1980s and 1990s that put up mediocre numbers because their legs were completely neutered, either through the "STAY IN THE POCKET" principle or by moving them to another position. I shudder to think what Donovan McNabb would do with four wide recievers on the field running the option 15-20 times a game.

These are a couple of other bad bits of conventional wisdom that have been diminished, like stupidly risk averse game management. The coaching ranks are now populated by guys who grew up thinking that it is retarded to punt the ball on 4th and 1 from the 45 yard line, and they are proving on the field what they probably figured out before they were in high school. People like myself who didn't grow up watching 6-2 games in the 1950s, and therefore weren't prejudiced by those experiences. Their ideas got adopted by shitty programs with nothing to lose, and when those programs succeeded people finally started to take notice.
      Last edited by Hannibal; January 8, 2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
        I think, in the end, it will be all about $$. Putting points on the board (offense) is the name of the game in virtually all sports and what most fans seem to want.
        I agree that this is the NCAA?s thinking, and maybe it applies in basketball, baseball, hockey, whatever...but I believe its flawed in regards to college football. The type of guys on this board, in their 30s, 40s and 50s...that is college football?s bread and butter demo, and its pretty difficult to find guys who like where the sport is headed.

IMO, that is something the NCAA should take heed of. If those guys start turning off the TV, then the NCAA?s cash cow is done.

Comment

• One of the things I was thankful for in the Lloyd Carr era was when he would shelve the 4 wide receiver set. MSU couldn't field enough defensive backs and Michigan had a lot of talent at wide receiver. They would kill the Spartans when they went to that, luckily they were ready for a manball fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
            I agree that this is the NCAA?s thinking, and maybe it applies in basketball, baseball, hockey, whatever...but I believe its flawed in regards to college football. The type of guys on this board, in their 30s, 40s and 50s...that is college football?s bread and butter demo, and its pretty difficult to find guys who like where the sport is headed.

IMO, that is something the NCAA should take heed of. If those guys start turning off the TV, then the NCAA?s cash cow is done.
            Have you seen the ratings for college football? Through the roof.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              MSU competes with statue QBs and pedestrian NFL receivers. Keshawn Martin and BJ Cunningham were good college receivers but they haven't done much at the pro level. Tony Lippett will get drafted but he doesn't scream NFL.
              good point. But they were drafted. Anyone else in the BIG? I'd say no to PSU right now.. not good enough. Minn is close, but that might be due to having an incredible TE.
              Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• getting drafted is a low bar

Comment

• hanny...

you outnumber the box by making the QB a running option, not by spreading out teams. I do agree with you that WR's run free.. it used to be crossing the middle meant you would be decleated. Lot of drop passes or guys running scared as a result. Today, none of that. the rules make it easy to get open.

Comment

getting drafted is a low bar
                    not for UNL's WR's...

Comment

One of the things I was thankful for in the Lloyd Carr era was when he would shelve the 4 wide receiver set. MSU couldn't field enough defensive backs and Michigan had a lot of talent at wide receiver. They would kill the Spartans when they went to that, luckily they were ready for a manball fight.
                      God I hate you for being right.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                        hanny...

you outnumber the box by making the QB a running option, not by spreading out teams.
                        I think that it's both.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                          not for UNL's WR's...
                          You've had two receivers drafted in the same time frame.

Comment

• As long as a team plays a one high or cover two, with a running QB you can out number the defense, regardless of how many WR's.. and if they don't, you have even numbers at worse.

A drop back QB gives the D numbers advantages and you need someone to demand a double team, zone coverage or over the top protection to flip that.. Playaction passing was also a way to flip the numbers.

this all assumes of course two equal teams with equal talent. If you can push the DL back 5 yrd per snap, it may not matter.. or if a team can't cove a WR for more than 2 seconds, it doesn't matter..

Comment

• Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

You've had two receivers drafted in the same time frame.
                                and Niles is playing TE..

Comment

Working...
                                X