No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I've seen a challenge on a spot and they respot it and measure. Not sure if it was pro or college and maybe the rule is different, I don't know. JH's reasoning is sounds, correct or incorrect and I agree with him it's a stupid rule if they only way they can respot it is if it's a first.

Comment

• There are several posters at mgoblog (in the comments section of the Monday presser) that are unequivocal about supporting JH's interpretation of Rule 12. Article 3. Section e. None of them, to my knowledge are officials. They are saying to look at the rule as only applying to a first down spot is ridculous. What if the ball is, in the view of the HC, spotted at the 35 and its 4th and ten or it should be correctly spotted at the 27 and its now 4th an 2 and your down a TD? You can't challenge this.

I think JH is right. Doesn't matter the magnitude of the mistake nor should it matter if it's a first down. If the spot is, in the opinion of the HC, wrong he should be able to challenge it. Apparently in this case the spot was wrong but a correct spot would not have resulted in a first down, therefore the officials determined the challenge was not allowed.

Here's JH's interpretation:

?Officials get confused, thought he went out on the sideline at the 35 but he really went out at the 30 and then you review that, even though it doesn?t make a first down, is that something that can be challenged? Yeah, my understanding of the rules and the review system is that it?s the spot, to get the correct spot. It?ll be interesting to see what the explanation is.?

What Harbaugh is saying makes sense. However, I'm not sure that's the intent of the rule. Maybe for the spot to be challenged it does have to be a controversy over a first down or maybe it doesn't.

I don't think we're going to get to see what the BT Front Office says about it. So, Wiz? Linesman?
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Doesn't help anything about CFB but I've seen coaches in the NFL challenge spots where a player might've stepped out of bounds.

Comment

• where is liney?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            I thought he could challenge. The rule verbiage is (Rule 12. Article 3. Section e.): "ball carrier's progress....with respect to a first down." Less than a yard to a first down seems reasonable. I think this meets that criteria. Coaches just have to say, "I am challenging the spot on that 3rd down play."

Now, if he said, "Hey, I know it's not a first down -or really even that close to a first down- but I want a challenge anyway because I'm a jerk and I want to win my fiddy," then probably not.
            Here's what the rule says in its entirety:

(Instant Replay can be used to determine) Ball carrier?s forward progress, spot of fumble, or spot of out-of-bounds, backward pass, with respect to a first down.

I can see the confusion with the modifier, "with respect to a first down."

I interpret the rule as saying any spot is reviewable. The modifier, "with respect to a first down," would not seem to imply you can challenge the spot only if making a first down is in question.

"With respect to a first down," IMO, means the spot of the ball in relationship to where the first down marker is. For example, it's 3rd and 10. the LOS is the opponent's 45. Yard to make for the first is the 35. A receiver catches a pass at the 40 and the official thinks he stepped out of bounds at the 41 but forward progress is to the 35.5. So, it would seem its 4th and 0.5 yards to go. The official, however, moves the ball back to the 40 where he thinks the receiver stepped out of bounds. It's now 4th and 5. That is a challengeable spot in my view and pretty much what JH did.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• All FBS (Division 1) teams have replay officials who are upstairs in a replay booth headed by a single head replay official.

Coaches cannot challenge calls. All replays are initiated by the booth via a buzzer that the referee on the field has.

Once a ball is snapped, previous plays can no longer be reviewed or overturned.

The replay must be conclusive to overturn the ruling on the field.

If a replay official cannot determine a ruling after two minutes the play stands.

Subjective penalties such as holding and pass interference cannot be reviewed.

Plays involving posession or boundaries can all be challenged.

A play is dead no matter what once a whistle is blown.
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• OK, now I'm confused. You stated: "Coaches cannot challenge calls."

Is a spot a call?

Then you state, "Plays involving possession or boundaries can be challenged."

Does an incorrect spot involve a boundry?

I think the rule in question which I quoted from the rule book is pretty clear in it's statement that:

(Instant Replay can be used to determine) Ball carrier?s forward progress, spot of fumble, or spot of out-of-bounds, backward pass, with respect to a first down.

Are you saying that only a replay official in the booth can initiate a question on the spot and the coach cannot?

Comment

• According to a thread on mgoblog, Tom Herman to Texas is pretty much a done deal (per insidarz). If so -- big sigh of relief -- he will never be at OSU.

Comment

• Coaches in college cannot initiate a challenge. All challenges come from the booth. Every play is looked at. That appeared to be your question. Yes spots are reviewable. Possession is reviewable. Scores are reviewable. Calls or non calls are not.
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• And of course now targeting ejection is reviewable as well. Can't overturn the call...but confirm the ejection. Some conferences are experimenting with off site review officials in communication with the on site booth replay official. There will be changes coming with regards to review I've been told.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Thanks.

Comment

• No prob.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• STFU

Comment

• No
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• C'mon...you know you want to.

Comment

Working...