No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will go to 8 with 5 champs + G5 + 2 SEC teams or it will blow up.

This is the 4th BCS/CFP title game with a team that didn’t win its own conference. The first 3 are the lowest rated title games. This one will join those 3.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Well, TV ratings will never be a concern to me.

And agreed: 5 conf champs, a G5, Ohio State (in years they don't lose to an unranked by 4 or more TDs), and a second SEC team.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The NC has always been a farce. It has always been. Prior to the BCS it was based on polls. Fucking polls. You may say that the BCS gave us a true NC. It did not. It gave us matchups based on polls, politics and money. They claimed to crown a champion on the field, but that is not what happened. The winner of the NC was appointed buy taking the winner of a game between two teams that were said to be the best, but there was no way of know if that was true. Politics and money.

The playoff system is flawed for the same reason. They claim to have a winner on the field, a true champion, but again, getting into the playoff is based on politics and money as much as play on the field.

Make the entrants on the field actually earn it on the field by winning their conference.

Cut the bullshit and crown a true champion. Not some made for TV, my team is better than your team poser.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          You crack me up. I want the best teams in a 4-team.

Conference champs and at-larges are fine once it expands. Not optimal, but tolerable. Bama will be successful, regardless.
          Like I said, I wouldn't expect you to say anything different it's a beneficial setup for you. Alabama will never get screwed by that committee. You're the name brand, they will bend over backwards, once you beat Mighty Mercer you were in.

It's the non name brand teams that have to worry, the committee will always make up something to discredit those teams so they can get the name brand teams.

The NFL had an oustanding week 17, everyone knew what had to happen for a team to get in. Buffalo needed a bunch of things go their way to get in. If it was in the hands of that CFP committee they would have set aside the tiebreakers.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
            The NC has always been a farce. It has always been. Prior to the BCS it was based on polls. Fucking polls. You may say that the BCS gave us a true NC. It did not. It gave us matchups based on polls, politics and money. They claimed to crown a champion on the field, but that is not what happened. The winner of the NC was appointed buy taking the winner of a game between two teams that were said to be the best, but there was no way of know if that was true. Politics and money.

The playoff system is flawed for the same reason. They claim to have a winner on the field, a true champion, but again, getting into the playoff is based on politics and money as much as play on the field.

Make the entrants on the field actually earn it on the field by winning their conference.

Cut the bullshit and crown a true champion. Not some made for TV, my team is better than your team poser.
            Exactly right, the Iron Bowl should have had some consequences, instead it was a glorified exhibition, it was better for them to lose there than in the SEC Championship.

Comment

The NC has always been a farce. It has always been. Prior to the BCS it was based on polls. Fucking polls. You may say that the BCS gave us a true NC. It did not. It gave us matchups based on polls, politics and money. They claimed to crown a champion on the field, but that is not what happened. The winner of the NC was appointed buy taking the winner of a game between two teams that were said to be the best, but there was no way of know if that was true. Politics and money.

There is no way to know if the best teams are picked, regardless.

But when we go to 8 teams, we will get all 5 P5 conference champs. We will absolutely leave most G5 conferences at home, though. Every year. And rightfully so.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• They may not be the "best" teams, but they will have earned there spot in the playoff on the field, not by someone's subjective opinion that one team is better than another like it is now.

If the conferences want, they could forgo sending the conference champion and send the "most representative" as their conference representative (we've seen that one before, btw)
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  Exactly right, the Iron Bowl should have had some consequences, instead it was a glorified exhibition, it was better for them to lose there than in the SEC Championship.
                  No P5 team, conference champion or not, has fewer conference losses than Bama. The conference champion is often helped by artificial tie-breaker rules that were made and conference splits. The SEC-West and Big Ten East are examples of that of late. We aren't talking round-robins or any of that mess. It's artfical and contrived. Hell, the BigXII stumbled onto the right way to pick champions.

Comment

• Tie breakers are set up by the conferences. They can change it every year if they want

Comment

They may not be the "best" teams, but they will have earned there spot in the playoff on the field, not by someone's subjective opinion that one team is better than another like it is now.

If the conferences want, they could forgo sending the conference champion and send the "most representative" as their conference representative (we've seen that one before, btw)
                      I want the best teams. No P5 team, conference champion or not, has fewer conference losses than Bama. The conference champion is often helped by artificial tie-breaker rules that were made and conference splits. The SEC-West and Big Ten East are examples of that of late. We aren't talking round-robins or any of that mess. It's artfical and contrived. Hell, the BigXII stumbled onto the right way to pick champions.

Comment

Tie breakers are set up by the conferences. They can change it every year if they want

Sure. They can and do. Which changes completly which team "earned" it in your eyes.

Comment

• My statement you posted is still valid. The Iron Bowl was a glorified exhibition, once you beat Mighty Mercer to make you 11-0 the CFP was assured.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            Sure. They can and do. Which changes completly which team "earned" it in your eyes.
                            Just helping to get Bama in every year.

Win the conference get a bid.

Simple.

Chances are the at large isn't going to ever win a NC, but for one game, they might knock off a team, maybe an Auburn every now and then.

Comment

Just helping to get Bama in every year.

Win the conference get a bid.

Simple.

Chances are the at large isn't going to ever win a NC, but for one game, they might knock off a team, maybe an Auburn every know and then.
                              I am not even talking about Bama. I was talking more about past years and some of the weird Big Ten rules.

When we go to 8, it will be a spot for conference champions. (Except most of the G5's - all but one of those guys will be left out).

Comment

• And there will still be more than one team from a conference base on some arbitrary judgement.

No thanks.

One team per conference. Conference champ (or team selected by the conference by what ever means they determine).

Cut the shit and make the teams earn the bid.

Comment

Working...
                                X