Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Gerry/Jerry Bouldin? & Gandy Dancer / Prancer who came out of the closet in the Forum then stormed out.

Oh yeah , World Crossing used to charge 12 or 24 bucks a year to post but stopped charging the fee after a few years, apparently it was too difficult to charge users? Unreal.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; September 28, 2013, 07:07 PM.
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• We even had a couple of female posters who actually knew their football. Wish I could remember their names. One was from the Seattle area. Problems with getting old - can't remember names, or a lot of other stuff as well. But I do remember joining up in the Freep days and I seem to remember it being in the late 90s. I do remember Charles and how he riled up everybody. Jon had that great Bob Ufer userpic. And we had that real gentleman from OSU named Paul S. Lots of good stuff. Wish somebody had saved some of those old threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
        Second, Maximus is actually a Hollywood apparition, a composite, there are no historical references in Roman Literature to his actual existence but as a Journalist, I am certain you knew that.
        Bad assumption. The Roman Empire doesn't interest me all that much, really. I never really knew why, but in the very quick googling I had to do earlier today in response to your earlier post I learned that 14 or 15 emporers were gay. So maybe that explains why I know less about the Romans than you do.

I don't really have an emporer or military leader I claim to be like, but I do have an interest in Salahdin. He was a shit-kicker who stayed principled and honorable to the end. Imam Shamil in the Caucasus in the 19th century was the Roadrunner to Russia's Wile E Coyote.

Comment

• Liney---any history that you can add?
          Well, there were MSU fans Steve Harper, Mojospartan, SpartyOn! and Gus Spartacus (Charles Hardway) There was another Spartan fan who was a continual great foil for Mr. Talent ESQ., whom I don't recall right now, but was a great poster. (was that Mojospartan?)

Bucknut fans besides the two survivors here were the great (and my good buddy) Paul S, Heater (USAF guy) and Regalbuck. I think Regel actually came to one of Doug's tailgate parties. I'd love to have Paul S back, but he's dealing with other things right now. He's a facebook friend of mine to this day.

Michigan fans I really miss .. probably Jerry Bouldin the most. A real down to earth guy, with a passion for Michigan football. I miss Skylar Townhouse, Blue In Wisconsin, Jamie H, Dillonpgp, and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting right now. We had a guy who was real good at making graphics .. and he put some classics in the forum over at WX. I can't remember his name, but he brought a lot of fun to the forum with his antics. (Maybe it was Ben Dover?)

I'm very pleased to see that "Packfan", (wingsfan) has become a respected member of the forum. He and I knocked heads a lot, but he impressed me with his story of how he turned things around in his life. I respect that a lot.

And yes, I do miss Charles Hardway. I honestly hope that Charles is okay. I have not seen hide nor hair of him in many years. He was a very well-read man. Knew his facts well, and could not tolerate anyone who brought "half" facts to the argument. Only all the facts were satisfactory with him. His "water tower" comments were classic. Sometimes I wish I would have took him up on it, just so I could meet the man.

I also miss the Prost brothers. The older brother really knew football and was an accomplished HS coach in Wisconsin. I believe the younger Prost went to assist him, if I remember correctly. They loved their Michigan football.

Ah, the good old days ...
          Last edited by lineygoblue; September 28, 2013, 11:11 PM.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• A Primeval Muslim Terrorist, Jesus Christ Hack what the hell is your major malfunction?

Why am I not surprised, expect a knock on your door from Homeland Security soon.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Remember "CrackFan" who followed me around (and mocked) me for a while?

Still could be one of you guys :-) Liney probably knows who it was.. or is :=)

Comment

• LOL .. it was "timmy" ..
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I've been here the whole time also. Joined the FP forum in 2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
                    A Primeval Muslim Terrorist, Jesus Christ Hack what the hell is your major malfunction?

Why am I not surprised, expect a knock on your door from Homeland Security soon.
                    I'm just trying to help you move beyond the tribalism. Soon enough you might even be open-minded enough confront your own self. Plus, for those that like military tactics, Shamil is a hoot.

Comment

• CNNSI in 1997. Worldcrossing after that. Ran my own forum, which I believe carries on at another location. Posted on CFB Megasite. Was introduced to this forum after MSU timekeeper game in, what, 2001? Or maybe it was 2004? I was banned shortly after. Definitely posting on M forum consistently since 2005 -- the great Troy Smith to Anthony Gonzalez/Lloyd wusses out and punts games.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• DSL, when did you join, was it at X crossing?

Comment

• Yeah...like Talent I was originally at CNNSI. Moved to worldcrossing when those boards shut down

Comment

• Doc, Amy Kastin was one of the few female posters. She was killed in a car accident about 10 years ago in Denver. She wasn't a big football fan (hung out mostly at the politics board in Freep days) but her husband was.

Liney - Charles sent me a note years ago, after one of his multi-year hiatuses. Told me that alot of his 'water tower' days was during his screaming alcoholic days. Got sober but still had health/personal issues. Then he dropped off after a few years at WX. Someone (can't remember who) told me Charles passed away. Oh, and since I do not have a facebook account, tell 'ol chromedome I said hi.

Its been a while since I contacted Jerry Bouldin. Last he told me, he had bought an apple orchard here in Michigan (to putz around at) but wasn't spending much time as his parents were very ill in Tenn. Someone told me that he too had passed away, and all the email addresses I had for him are now defunct. What a great guy he was.

OP / Hack - Here's a great book on Roman emperors "Emperors Don't Die In Bed". Short 2-3 page bio on all the Imperial emperors, focusing on their last day on earth. Great read, shows the human tendencies with unchecked power and unchecked hedonism. I bought mine on Amazon for $4 used. [ame][URL="http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Dont-Die-Bed-Meijer/dp/0415312027/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=138054 3294&sr=1-1&keywords=emperors+don%27t+die+in+bed"][URL="http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Dont-Die-Bed-Meijer/dp/0415312027/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=138054 3294&sr=1-1&keywords=emperors+don%27t+die+in+bed"]Fun history book[/ame]

I think Jeff B was also at the Freep. I think he was around in in 1997 when the board saw an awful lot of traffic and new posters.
                            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-Dont-Die-Bed-Meijer/dp/0415312027/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=138054 3294&sr=1-1&keywords=emperors+don%27t+die+in+bed"]Emperors Don't Die in Bed: Fik Meijer, S.J. Leinbach: 9780415312028: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51et-%2BwBvEL.@@AMEPARAM@@51et-%2BwBvEL[/ame]
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I started at the Freep days and I don't miss those shithole forums one bit. I do miss the Worldcrossing Megasite though. I haven't found a decent replacement for it at all. It was a great forum.

We could use some new folks. We have gradually lost members through attrition over the years and they aren't being replenished. What do we have now -- maybe 10-12 regular posters?
                                Last edited by Hannibal; September 30, 2013, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X