Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry was a riot. I also heard he passed away. I searched for an obituary and found the one below. I wasn't sure it was him (his username was JERRY F BOULDIN) but the birthdate in the obit matches up with the birthdate in his profile, so I suspect it was.

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• That certainly is THE Jerry.

In 2005 or 2006 I was going to meet Jerry at the Daytona 500 by the (Dale Earnheart Statue). We drove up A1A from Miami Beach on race day thinking I had plenty of time, when I should have taken I-95 or driven up the day before.

Horrible traffic snarl, ended up parking at a mall, took the shuttle to the race track but missed Jerry, he was local (Ormond Beach) and couldn't wait for me, never did reschedule.
      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
        Appreciate what we've got here, folks. Deb at the parent "Lions Forum" here does a great job and maybe doesn't get the appreciation she quite deserves for welcoming us here. Liney (while I sometimes don't exactly "agree" with each and every comment/decision he's made) also does a damn good job overall of trying to keep the peace around here.
        Rob, thanks for this!
        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• OP, thanks for confirming that was him. I had always hoped the rumors of his death weren't true...he is missed!
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Yep, that's a picture of Jerry. Sad confirmation.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Thanks Jon, I'd also like to add:
              The Gladiators: History's Most Deadly Sport by Fik Meijer (Mar 6, 2007)

I guess Professor Meijer retired in 2007, not sure how I missed this one.
              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Not much more than 15, some only post here during the football or basketball seasons. Not quite as many 'off-season' posters.

Comment

• I'm sad to hear of Jerry's passing. I remember that there was another time many years ago where there was a false rumor that he had passed away, and he came in a day or two later and said, "I ain't dead, I ain't even sick!" I loved coming in and reading his contributions. I'm even more saddened that I never got the chance to meet him. Condolences to his family.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Thanks for that Deb.

Sad news, I actually got to be friends with Jerry in the Tigers forum. We both loved are Harleys, just looked - he e-mailed me December 5, 2007 - saying do to heath issues he is unable to post for now, but will when he gets better. RIP Jerry

Comment

• Early members that I can recall:

Liney, Timmy, Chemilord, BlueinSC, BlueinWisconsin, Jeff Buchanan, Doug, Packfan, RegalBuck, Heater, not sure when Sean B. joined, Jamie H. I think too. Talent was the first poster I ever told to go F himself on the Internets., obviously many more followed.

I am sure I am forgetting a few posters. When did Mojo Spartan join?

Oh yeah, Hanni G Jon & Doc posted too.

Found this from 7 years ago: (more to follow)
                      Richard Hodgman- Jun 13, 2006 3:55 pm
                      Edited by linesman Jun 13, 2006 11:05 pm

There seems to be considerable variation in interest here in the varous sports. It is a given that Michigan football is #1 for members here but it would be interesting to see how passion for other competing sports plays out. For example, I gather most are pretty lukewarm about soccer. So, to continue passing the time until next September let's see how the group ranks the various sports. To keep it simple, let's say we will define interest level by how much you care about watching. On the tube or in person.

Here are my picks:

1. Michigan football. (a given) 2. All other football--pro (esp. the Lions) and college(esp. Big 10) 3. Basketball -- pro more than college unless UM is competitive 4. Pro golf -- esp. majors 5. Pro tennis -- esp. majors 6. Summer Olympics 7. Winter Olympics 8. Hockey -- unless Red Wings are competitive 9. Baseball -- unless Tigers are competitive (not on board yet this year -- games take too long and too little action) 10. Track & Field

Sports I care little or nothing about: All womens' sports (maybe a passing interest college softball), Auto racing, Soccer, Figure skating, Bowling, Volleyball, Boxing, Pro wrestling,

I am not counting sports where a family member or person of interest is competing.

Now, all that being said, I will watch ANY sport if I am bored enough. Drives my wife nuts.

Stu Pidasole- Jun 13, 2006 3:57 pm (#1 of 108)
                      1) Michigan football 2) Everything else

THE WIZARD- Jun 13, 2006 4:05 pm (#3 of 108)
                      Here is my Ssports:

1. Football

2. Everything else sucks goat balls.

linesman- Jun 13, 2006 4:10 pm (#4 of 108)
                      Edited Jun 13, 2006 11:11 pm

Doc: I corrected the title for you. There was an extra "s" that was driving me nuts ...

Anyway ..

1. NCAA Football, and obviously the Wolverines.

2. Detroit Tiger Baseball. This is a recent reshuffling for me for obvious reasons. I've watched more Tiger baseball games this year than I have in the last 10 seasons combined.

3. Detroit Pistons Basketball

4. Detroit Redwings Hockey

5. tie - Michigan Basketball and Hockey.

AlabamAlum- Jun 13, 2006 4:12 pm (#5 of 108)
                      1. Bama football

2. Bama basketball

3. Braves baseball.

4. Bama baseball.

5. Saints football (shaddup).

Comment

• more:
                        Heater- Jun 13, 2006 4:15 pm (#7 of 108)
                        1) Ohio State football (and the rest of the NCAA follows)

2) Cleveland Indians (and MLB)

3) Cleveland Browns (and the NFL)

4) Cleveland Cavaliers (and the NBA)

5) Ohio State basketball (and the rest of the NCAA follows)

6) Ohio State other sports

NOT on the list anywhere: Soccer and hockey

Jack Crancer- Jun 13, 2006 4:19 pm (#8 of 108)
                        1 Michigan football

2 Red Wings hockey

3 Houston Astros (moved to houston eight years ago)

4 Houston Texans

5 Auto racing (Open wheel, F1 & Indy Car)

6 Futbol (Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, basicall Premier League)

Optimus Prime (South Beach)- Jun 13, 2006 4:21 pm (#9 of 108)
                        Edited Jun 14, 2006 12:22 am

Well here it is:
                        ? 1.) Sport *ucking (before I married).
                        ? 2.) NHL
                        ? 3.) Michigan College Football -CFB in general
                        ? 4.)NFL -mostly playoffs
                        ? 5.) Winter Olympics -SKIING Men's downhill
                        ? 6.) Pro Golf
                        ? 7.) Hunting & Fishing in general
                        ? 6.) Colligate Sports -hockey et al.
                        ? 7.) Auto Racing- F1, Indy
                        ? 8.) Deep-Sea Fishing
                        ? 9.) Pro Tennis
                        ? 10) SOCCER
                        ? 11) MLB

Comment

• more:
                          Jason Berkley- Jun 13, 2006 5:06 pm (#11 of 108)
                          1. College Football(always)

2. MLB

3. Boxing

4. Soccer(specifically the EPL)

5. NFL(I've always been interested, but I've just never found a favorite team)

6. College basketball

7. NHL Hockey(has fallen mightily in recent years)

8. Horse racing

9. Tennis

10. NBA

I'm a die-hard Olympic fan(that to me is really a separate category), and I'll watch just about any sort of sporting competition, with two exceptions. Exception one is auto racing. I've watched enough NASCAR races in person to know I never want to watch another one, and I cannot muster much more enthusiasm for any other sort of auto racing. Exception two is golf. I'll watch a quorum call on C-Span before I watch anything short of the back nine of a major on Sunday, and I usually can't even be bothered to watch that much golf.

Regelbuck- Jun 13, 2006 6:23 pm (#12 of 108)
                          1 College football - OSU specifically

2 MLB - Detroit Tigers specifically...close second I might add...everything else is distant to these two.

3 College Basketball - OSU

4 NFL football - I don't watch or root for teams, just for ex-OSU players.

5 World cup soccer

I rarely watch anything else on TV period...Can't stand golf, tennis, auto racing or the NBA

Jamie H- Jun 13, 2006 6:26 pm (#13 of 108)
                          Edited Jun 14, 2006 1:26 am

1. College football--Michigan
                          2. Baseball-Tigers
                          3. College basketball-Michigan, painfully
                          4. Hockey-Wings
                          5. NBA-Pistons
                          6. NFL-Free agent with leanings towards the Lions
                          7. College hockey
                          8. Whatever other sports is on TV at the moment.

Jeff Buchanan- Jun 13, 2006 6:45 pm (#14 of 108)
                          (1) College Football - I'll watch any game but, obviously favor Michigan games which I obsess over for days before and days after each game. Absolutely my favorite sporting event .... would skip important relations funerals, birthday parties weddings, etc to not miss a Michigan game (just ask Marlin) and way, way ahead of the following:

(2) NHL Hockey (limited mostly to the Wings and the Stanley Cup finals); college hockey if I can get a M game, the frozen four or the NCAA finals (if I can get them).

(3) MLB (Limited mostly to the Braves - frankly, I don't watch the World Series) ... I've started to like to watch women's college softball - when M is playing - and M baseball.

(4) Any Olympic Sport - especially wrestling, boxing, mens and womens hockey, mens and womens skating, skiing (esp. downhill) and women's gymnastics.

(5) America's Cup sailing - if you've never followed this event, which happens every four years - its really interesting. Some of the stuff they've come up with to increase fan interest is pretty amazing (TVs on the boats, birds-eye digital, virtual views on the internet where you can watch the wind and boat tactcs develop over the course of each race .... very cool stuff)

(6) European Soccer (I don't have a favorite team or one I follow but it is a great game to watch).

(7) Auto Racing ... I'm not a big NASCAR fan. Just wasn't brought up on it. I do like Formula One, drag racing and watching antique cars run closed circuit courses.

.... off the wall "sports" that are sometimes fun to watch: Dog sports (like the one's where the labs leap for best distance off a dock), strongest man contests, log rolling, tree chopping (that woodsman shit) ..... no, "Survior" is not a sport not to mention that it is plain ass stupid.

.... and things I never or rarely watch: the NBA, pro-football, pro (a misnomer)-wrestling, the women's NBA, college basketball (maybe I'll watch a Michigan game), NASCAR, pro(another misnomer) boxing, any hunting or fishing shows on ESPN, poker (are you kidding me) on ESPN, any celebrity sports (a total waste).

Optimus Prime (South Beach)- Jun 13, 2006 7:00 pm (#15 of 108)
                          Edited Jun 14, 2006 2:03 am

"Sports" I never watch......Bingo, bowling, hog callin', tractor pullin' WWF "wrestling", dodgeball, (cheerleading ??) NBA or the “Special Olympics” (sorry).

Marlin Spike- Jun 13, 2006 7:34 pm (#16 of 108)
                          1. Michigan football (and CFB generally) 2. NFL 3. NASCAR 4. NHL 5. College Basketball 6. Soccer (mainly international games, some EPL) 7. Golf 8. Gotta side with Dad - America's Cup is great fun, but only if you know what the hell is going on and the race doesn't involve a boat from New Zealand or a skipper from NZ, cause then it's just a beating)

Packfan- Jun 13, 2006 7:50 pm (#17 of 108)
                          1-2) Tie - NFL - Packers - Brett Favre - NCAA football - Badgers... Anyone who beats Norte Dame - (Also like the Spartans) - All games

3) NHL - Red Wings

4) MLB - Tigers

5) NBA - Pistons

6) WWE (sometimes higher)

7) NCAA Basketball - Badgers - Spartans

8) Boxing (used to be top 3)

9) Worlds strongest man contest

10) Womens tennis

11) Womens Nine Ball Billiards

12) UFC

Off Tackle- Jun 13, 2006 8:41 pm (#18 of 108)
                          Edited Jun 14, 2006 3:41 am

1. CFB - Michigan followed by the biggest games of the week.

2. College Hockey - This is a tough one to follow on TV but I live in Michigan again so it should be easier. I think 18 UM games were on FSD last year. Plus, going to games at Yost is one of my favorite experiences in sports.

3. NHL - Red Wings obviously. I'm such a die-hard hockey fan I even subjected myself to the Raleigh Canes at the RBC Center just so I could see live NHL action. Being forced to watch Rick Flair yell "wooooo hooooo" on the big screen after goals is enough to test any man's faith in humanity.

4. NFL - Miami Dolphins

5. MLB - THE BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL - YOUR DETROIT TIGERS!! This has moved up for obvious reasons, and like Linesman, I'm watching more baseball than ever.

6. Winter Olympics - Ice Hockey, skiing

7. World Cup Soccer

8. Women's Pro Beach Volleyball

9. Women's Tennis

10. Regular Tennis

11. Golf

12. Any sporting event that has a compelling human drama behind it or is going down to the wire. I may stop by for a few minutes.

157. College Basketball

158. Spitting for distance

159. NBA

BlueInWisconsin- Jun 13, 2006 9:19 pm (#19 of 108)
                          Edited Jun 14, 2006 4:21 am

Favorite Sports to Participate In:
                          1) Sledding
                          2) Badminton (doubles, dusk/night)
                          3) Beerminton (doubles)
                          4) Badminton (doubles, daylight)
                          5) Bowling
                          6) Whiffleball Homerun Derby
                          7) Shuffleboard (the outdoor kind)
                          8) Curling
                          9) Jarts
                          10) 21

Comment

• more:
                            Paul S.- Jun 13, 2006 9:26 pm (#21 of 108)
                            Edited Jun 14, 2006 4:27 am

1. College Football - Ohio State (of course)

2. NFL - Browns (or you could consider all 32 teams to be my favorite, thanks to fantasy football)

3. College Basketball - Ohio State

4. Arena Football - Columbus Destroyers

5. NHL - Columbus Blue Jackets

6. High School Football

7. Major League Soccer - Columbus Crew

8. Major League Baseball

-----

99,999. NBA

Rob F- Jun 13, 2006 11:42 pm (#23 of 108)
                            Edited Jun 14, 2006 6:44 am

Great thread for the off-season, Richard!!!

Here's my favorite teams and/or sportss (although I must add, if my kids are participating in a sport I'll ALWAYS be there to cheer them on):

1) Michigan Football. They've been my #1 since they replaced the Detroit Tigers as my favorite team in the mid to late 70's. It might have something to do with the fact I've had U of M season tickets since 1977...

2) Detroit Tigers. They were the first team I ever followed closely, I have memories of them dating back to the '63 season. My dearly departed maternal Grandfather is the one to whom I credit my Tigers addiction---We spent countless hours together either listening to the Tigers with Ernie Harwell on the radio or watching the Tigers with George Kell on the TV

after those two teams, there's a huge, huge gap in interest level down to the next team...

3) Detroit Lions. Yeah, I'd be happy if they ever had any threat of being a contender---but even then, I can't really see myself ever being nearly as excited about them as I am about any Michigan football home opener of any CFB season----even those home openers against the directional fodder schools of the MAC.

4) Michigan hockey. Only been to Yost once, would love to do that at least a few more times in the future

5) Red Wings.

6) Michigan Basketball

7) High School Football---both my local district, and my alma mater Grand Rapids West Catholic

8) Summer Olympics

9) Winter Olympics

10) Other U of M sports, in general

11) The Triple Crown of Horse Racing

12) World Cup Soccer ( I never watch soccer otherwise, though)

13) The Masters Golf Tournament (the only 1 of the Majors that I set aside time to watch, since I had the privilege of taking in the Masters Practice Round in person several years ago). I do try to catch a few holes of each of the other 3 Majors, but never watch golf otherwise.

14) Indy 500. Don't bother me with any other auto racing---I very likely won't waste my time...

15) WMU sports in general

16) Minor league Baseball

17) Minor League Hockey

18) Detroit Pistons

19) Wimbleton. (See a pattern here? You should. If it is the most prestigious event of the year in any sport, it's likely that I'll have at least some interest in it. Even the Daytona 500...)

20) Whatever else is on Sports TV stations, unless it's poker. i'd rather watch the annual spealllng bea, or even watch Canadian Championship Curling or the Westminster Dog Shows, than watch poker. WTF are ESPN and FoxSports thinking, by subjecting us to endless hours of that crap!?!?!?!

!Hack- Jun 14, 2006 3:52 am (#24 of 108)
                            Edited Jun 14, 2006 10:53 am

Hard to rank. Pistons, UM football, UM basketball, Lions. Basketball is my favorite sport, but the championship I want more than any other is the Lions in the SB. That's what I'm hungriest for. Once that's had (just around the bend, no doubt), the ring most important to win will be UM football, then UM basketball.

I consciously dropped following all other sports about 5 years ago. Found my doing/watching ratio was in trouble.

Hannibal. - Jun 14, 2006 5:21 am (#25 of 108)
                            Solid #1: College Football

Solid #2: NHL Playoffs

Distant #3: NHL regular season

#4: NFL

#5: Everything else

The Oracle- Jun 14, 2006 6:47 am (#27 of 108)
                            Very hard to rank because I like each team just as much depending on the time of year, but: 1. Michigan football 2. Pistons 3. Lions 4. Michigan basketball 5. Tigers 6. High school sports/recruiting 7. Golf...everything else pretty much sucks.

Comment

• Nice Doc, thanks.

I particularity like the plucky OP, what this place would be without him. ;)

Comment

• Well I guess I'm still at the same spot save for I really don't believe in the Lions anymore, and resolved not to bother with them too much until the Fords are gone. And I increasingly don't care for the NFL either. And CFB is a pile of politics. So it's the tourney and the NBA that matter the most to me. I love the marathon of the NBA playoffs. I love the tournament. I still can't believe how much Michigan got hosed in the finals. Beilein's gotta get back there and win one. But given how long the NBA playoffs is, that would be the ring I most want to grab. So satisfying after two months of intense fandom.

Comment

Working...
                                X