X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I kinda see that as a benefit.

Comment

• That's just so Michigan of you!

I'm of two minds. I hate losing tradition in a period in which people are crapping on it, but, yeah -- I'd care more about this specific one if it were an actual rivalry. I don't like how Michigan has a tendency to belittle others through its traditions, be it mocking Slippery Rock scores when they are announced in the stadium or expecting somebody to play Washington Generals for us and call this meaningful. If we established a trophy with Eastern and played them 3 of every 4 years or so for the next 50 years we could call that a tradition too, but maybe not necessarily a valued one.

Comment

• I think that Minnesota would probably want to keep the trophy game too.

Comment

• Probably. I'm sure they would. I just still see it as arrogant.

Comment

• In the future, we'll probably continue to calibrate our schedule so that we have a certain number of Minny-caliber teams on it. If we're going to do that, it might as well be the oldest trophy game in college football, instead of Purdue or Northwestern, or a shitty OOC program like UConn.

Comment

• Solid reasoning. Just saying I see both sides, and this issue is an unintentional trigger for one of my relevant annoyances.

Comment

• The other side of it is that programs like Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa, etc count on Michigan on its schedule to fill their stadium. They want to host M, even if its at the expense of a so-called rivalry between M & Minnesota.

Comment

• "Yost left his yug."

I finally read the full text of the wikipedia entry. Pretty good backstory, that quote in particular.

Comment

• Minnesota can give something here...how many annual trophy games do they need? They've already got their damn pig and the axe. Everyone needs to sacrifice something to make this work. OSU gave up our series with Illinois, which is every bit as relevant and "important" as the Jug

Comment

• This makes it tougher for UNL to create traditions with schools that matter...
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Get your good buddy the Longhorns to join.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                          Get your good buddy the Longhorns to join.
                          I hate you...

Comment

• Too bad Oklahoma is married to the Longhorns and so lacking academically as your rivalry with them is much needed in the B10 west. I posted this elsewhere but possibly the reason the 10 game conference schedule is being considered is that the western programs can get Michigan, PSU & Ohio to fill their stadiums. That and the going rate to bring in a Big East, ACC, Pac 12 school for a one-and-done is upwards of $2mil.

Comment

• I'd love for OU to be our rival again.

Comment

• Domino Dave comments on the divisions although he says nothing really new. Hopefully we'll get some finality on this and what the 2014 schedule will look like soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X