No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With a cupcake OOC schedule, Gophers could win 5-8 games a year...

Going forward only 3 OOC games for B1G.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
      After consuming mass quantities, he took off his shoes and fell asleep on their couch...
      Brady Hoke may be teamless but that hasn't deterred him from hitting the recruiting trail!

"Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• heh! Priceless

Comment

• For some reason I thought Minnesota football had a better history. Since the 1950s, Minnesota has been mediocre.
          4-7 wins per season most of the time, 8 max definitely fits them.

Hiring Tracy Claeys (or Peter Griffin?) was probably a good choice.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Thy were national champions in 1960 if I remember correctly

Comment

• That's the year you started drawing social security, isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                Thy were national champions in 1960 if I remember correctly
                They did. That head coach randomly had a few good seasons, but overall nearly has a .500 record.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• You guys are too young to remember the Bernie Bierman era at Minnesota, late 30s and early 40s. They dominated some good Crisler teams. The Gophers were really feared in those days.

Comment

• ...and polio.

Comment

• I think they have a little higher ceiling going forward, that stadium will help and I belive they upgraded their facilities. That baggy dome had to have been hard to recruit for.

Comment

• Murray Warmath was the guy who won a title in 1960. They were one of the Big10's best programs until the 60's. I could be wrong but they may have been the first Big10 team to integrate? That advantage slowly withered away and in the 60's all those southern schools finally started integrating.

Comment

• MSU really took advantage of the segregation south. I'm not sure who the first team to do it was.

Comment

• I don't think the Southern schools integrated until the 70s. Duffy built his championship teams with players from the South. Bear Bryant, a close friend of Duffy and Biggie Mun, helped steer black players to MSU because he couldn't recruit them.

Comment

• I didn't know that history. Thanks for sharing it. Interesting.

Comment

• Story I heard was that Bear started recruiting black players after Sam Bam Cunningham from Southern Cal had a great game against the Tide in Alabama.
                                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X