No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Purdue was a pro-style offense when Joe Tiller took over, throwing the ball over 30 times a game, and was 3rd in the BIG in passing offense in 1996...so I think you are kinda making ent's point for him.

Randy Walker was innovative, but lets not get carried away...NW went 4-8 and 3-9 following their 2000 bowl-eligible season when the gimmick effect of the offense wore off. Additionally, all the games in which they scored over 40 points that year came against Big Ten teams. (TCU and Nebraska held NW to 14 and 17 points respectively)

My criticism of Riley has been that he's basically wasted two years on Tommy Armstrong and a struggling DC. We should be a full year ahead, developmentally, of where we are now IMO.

Comment

• Don't you talk about a Bama grad like that...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Shuticius

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
          WM.. sadly, UNL is probably more Minn than Wisky in the future. I'm not confident of the direction or the fans. You don't need a TO to be relevant in CF in Lincoln, but you can't be hitting reset with every coaching change.

JH at least followed a guy who had a system he could build from... not start over. That won't be the case when the other side wins at UNL. Sadly, this has been our last 15 yrs and it's not changing. Like politics, the fighting has become louder each year as people use "facts" to support predetermined opinions.
          I'm looking Wisconsin
          And feeling Minnesota
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I don't have too close of an eye on the Cornhuskers, but your talent level is well above whatever PJ Fleck is rowing in Minnesota. The B1G West should be weak enough most seasons, Nebraska better be #3 by default or else we made a mistake inviting them to the B1G.

Comment

• Minnesota's schedule is not that bad where they have a good shot at starting 4-0 in conference. They later have Nebraska at home.
              If Conor Rhoda or some unknown youngling emerges at QB, watch out Nebraska. The Gophers return a decent amount of experience, excluding QB. Mitch Leidner was a player I always thought was bad anyways. His passing ability sucked ass.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• We've been playing them with a QB who's passing ability sucked ass too...

Comment

• so I just checked out twitter on my walk back to my office. Blades isn't coming to UNL.. he didn't qualify. He and his coach are suggesting UNL lied to him to get his commitment telling him he was qualified. Somehow, he wasn't qualified at other schools, but at UNL he was..

First I've heard of this staff not communicating to kids properly. Seems to me someone was accepted and equated that to qualifying. Now he's mad at UNL and being vocal because he didn't study. All that said, UNL fan is making it news of the day and it appears the Omaha radio stations are only discussing this staff and are they communicating honestly.

I've seen this play before. UNL fans are jumping on something that doesn't feel good and the Neb media is getting the viewers it wants. The result will be any stumble this season will appear to be just one more evidence point these guys need to go. It's started this spring and hasn't stop. Each decision is being turned against the program. They will be ground up and a new coach will be in place in a couple of years.

The Fat and the Furious are about to start their 5th version of the same movie..
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• You guys have made four coaching hires since Osborne. One was promotion of an assistant for continuity's sake. One was a solid decision for its time (Pelini) and didn't turn out to be horrible. Two were just flat out bad, if you ask me. You guys simply have not had great hires, for whatever reason. I wouldn't get too hung up on whether hiring a new coach means you will have to rebuild. From where I am sitting, Nebraska's woes stem more from having mediocre people in the job than lack of continuity. You guys will be in great shape in relatively short order if your next hire is a guy with a good track record (preferably as a head coach) that you don't have to go back more than a few years to find.

JMO.
                    Last edited by Hannibal; July 18, 2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• the next coach will be Scott Frost because the pendulum dictates it has to be a TO guy.. and he is the biggest name that is left in the TO tree (which wasn't big to begin with).
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Gonna get stuck with Scott Frost I'm afraid after The Life of Riley. Not sure what to think about that.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Sounds like the staff was holding the PQ slot open for Blades, but he didn't want to sit out until he qualified, so...off to some obscure JC in Arizona. IDK what sense that makes, but whatever.

As for the atmosphere...the staff needs to have a good season, and all this will wash away. They had it last year really, but the nosedive at the end left a bad vibe. Alot of that was due to injuries and depth, but as we've said before, this staff has seen fit to play the cards they were dealt for two years and that comes with associated costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                            Gonna get stuck with Scott Frost I'm afraid after The Life of Riley. Not sure what to think about that.
                            Danger Will Robinson!

I don't have anything against Scott, but like Erstad, his past means he will have to completely faceplant before we'd ever be able to replace him.

Comment

• EFZ
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Don't get me wrong -- I want you guys to stay the course. Mike Riley being your coach pretty much ensures that you guys will have less than a 50% chance of beating us whenever we play each other. I'll gladly take it.

So...

STAY THE COURSE!

Comment

Working...
                                X