No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• We had a game against about 5 to 10 years back against a Muslim football team in 85 degree heat during Ramadan. The team was in its second or third year a d they were terrible. Games like those you want to get to the running clock as fast as possible. The opposing team was getting hurt all the time and they had no trainer, so my wife had to keep on going out. None of them would take water and they were cramping up. She still complains about that day. She was asking me about this Maryland situation because it sounds like they fired the head trainer. That seems pretty convenient.

Comment

• I don't want get into the middle of the Kstat/Talent showdown but there is one part of the "toxic culture" that might be actually valid. In their statement they said the training staff didn't follow best practices but did the coaching staff allow them to follow best practices. Was the training staff secure enough to yank someone off the field where they didn't feel the repercussions from the coaching staff.

I personally believe the toxic masculinity of old school football coaches isn't that effective, there are certain amount of yelling and prodding that you need to get the players to play hard but the more you lean on it the less effective it becomes. I don't trust those ESPN stories either but Durkin seemed to be a jackass in his limited time at Michigan.

Comment

• Last edited by Kstat; August 15, 2018, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• Peppers sounds off:

Comment

• Another lie. Goddamn do I own you. I can just see the fury in your brow as you typed that in your pink pussy hat. I think that heat stroke wrecked your already feeble mind.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• but there is one part of the "toxic culture" that might be actually valid. In their statement they said the training staff didn't follow best practices but did the coaching staff allow them to follow best practices. Was the training staff secure enough to yank someone off the field where they didn't feel the repercussions from the coaching staff.
                    That's a legitimate question, but it's still way more incident specific. And the culture they described has almost nothing to do with berating subordinates. It's all about being dicks to players.

I personally believe the toxic masculinity of old school football coaches isn't that effective, there are certain amount of yelling and prodding that you need to get the players to play hard but the more you lean on it the less effective it becomes. I don't trust those ESPN stories either but Durkin seemed to be a jackass in his limited time at Michigan.
                    Yeah, look, there's a marketplace out there. Maryland is small time. There are a dozen other options as good as Maryland for most kids. If the culture is "toxic" -- if it's not feminine enough -- if it's too ballsy -- then kids will go elsewhere. When kids go on campus for recruiting they talk with players. They see practices. If it's "toxic" kids will see that and you'll fail miserably.You are absolutely recruiting to a culture -- Dantonio has his, Harbaugh has his, UFM has his...kids can see it. Moreover, if kids don't respond to having their manhood challenged, as you suggest, then the coaches will fail. If Durkin's culture was as bad as ESPN suggests then he wouldn't be able to recruit nor, if you're correct, develop players. If he's a total asshole, then he'll fail. I'm not sure that's actually the case, though.

I don't trust those ESPN stories either
                    Correct.
                    Last edited by iam416; August 15, 2018, 07:06 AM.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• kstat, we live in a world that has endzones, and those endzones have to be guarded by men with pads. Whose gonna do it? You? You isaac? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for McNair, and you curse the coaching staff. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Mcnairs's death, while tragic, probably saved first downs. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves yardage. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that sideline, you need me on that sideline. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very cover 2 that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a playbook, and stand a post pattern . Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Comment

• Speaking as a Michigan fan I feel like my blanket is ridden with holes that do not cover 2 me in the way that you suggest. We're not so sheltered here.

Comment

• What the hell happened to Wild Hoss?
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I heard Talent was actually the mastermind of The St. Valentine's Day Massacre...

Discuss.
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                              What the hell happened to Wild Hoss?
                              Wiz kilt him.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wiz,

Be useful for a change and detail and explain the new rule changes for 2018.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X