Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find it interesting that they bring a new coach in and he has 10 years of NFL experience and has some head coaching experience on the Power 5 level.

Looks like JH is not afraid to have a lot of guys with experience on multiple levels.

QB Coach in Atlanta (2003-2005) when Vick was there. So maybe another case of seeing some spread techniques implemented with the offense?
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
      Price of what?
      Here's my view ......

To me, it's pretty well established that to win at the elite level, football program infrastructure has to support that objective. Academic institution administrators have to sign off on the football program being the front porch of their university and, in a sense, define the university. The cost of that can be staggering in terms of coaching salaries and facilities. I've always felt that Michigan has historically navigated those waters well. The U is first and foremost an academic institution. Would you say that about Alabama, FSU, Clemson?

The kind of money that is in play in the CFB industry - and it is the money that has come to define it as such - collectively is in the trillions of dollars. Along with that comes corruption if the phrase money corrupts has any meaning and to me it does. Corruption in the CFB world is not just NCAA rule breaking. Those cumbersome rules I personally have little respect for but they set boundaries within which people bound by them should be operating.

Beyond NCAA rules, there are matters of integrity and again, people making millions feel the rules nor high ethical standards don't necessarily apply to them. You and I can both list dozens of CFB figures who have either operated in rule bound and ethical gray areas or flat out just ignored the rules or the appearance of unethical behavior altogether. Close to us, Jim Tressel and Joe Paterno come to mind.

I'd like to think Jim Harbaugh, as the standard bearer for M's football program, won't break the rules, operate in the rule's gray areas or behave unethically nor will any employee within M's Athletic Department do that. But success, the fame that comes with it, and the money that people get paid to succeed is a powerful enticement to succeed by any and all means available. Ask UGA's HC, Kirby Smart, about that. Ask from whose CFB coaching tree does he come?

I'll point out again that Michigan's athletic programs, with one blemish on its record of good behavior, has done a very good job of acting within the rules whether or not they make sense and above all, behaving ethically. Our distractors mock us when we tout this but I'm proud of it.

The price, therefore, of playing football at an elite level might be creating an environment that could be willing to look the other way when short cuts are taken on the way to a national championship.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; February 14, 2017, 09:14 AM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Well, M is now spending money on its football program as if they have an endless supply. So, that's good.

As for "rule-breaking" -- here's the thing -- if you think the elite programs are out there breaking rules left and right to get recruits, and you think that is a significant advantage, then when M gets top recruits the implication is clear. I mean, sure, we all like to say "my school would never do that" -- but if they're beating out Alabama for recruits -- and you take it as an article of faith that Alabama is paying kids top dollar -- then you're saying that HARBAUGH!!!! is such a great recruiter and this kid is such a great kid that he turned down $100K to come play for M! And you're not saying it about one kid, but 6 or 7 kids every cycle.

I want to be clear -- I'm not equivocating -- but I am saying that it's very difficult to square "everyone cheats but we don't" w/ "awesome recruiting class!"

FTR, I do think that the B10 is significantly different than some SEC programs, but if someone told me that Rashan Gary or Raekwon McMillan was given walking around money during their recruiting visits and then "help" while they were players, I'd be completely and totally unsurprised.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• talent, this is tough debate. I'm pretty sure neither of us is trying to win it; we've been down this path before. It's hard to pin down boundaries with regard to rule breaking and ethical conduct in CFB and then piss on people for breaking them. I believe you've always made a decent defense of behaviors among osu coaches and players when faux outrage emerges among osu haters over one of them for rule breaking or unethical behavior.

The issue at hand, and I should have been clearer about this from the outset, is roster management - again a rather hazy concept - but in one instance, the Solomon recruiting saga, the perception that it was going on at UGA was negative factor for UGA in Solomon's final decision of where he would play. It shaded the perception of UGA running an ethical v an unethical football program.

I'm well aware that M was perceived by outsiders of being guilty of this when they forceably decommited multiple kids at the end of the 2016 recruiting cycle. That turned out to be a big nothing burger but still .....

The Solomon recruiting saga is another level of reveal about the ugly side of the recruitment of the HS stars. Details are at the link below as they are reported by Brian at mgoblog. It is this article that prompted my two posts above. I think it demonstrative of the cost to UGA, Kirby Smart and his DL coach Tracy Rocker of what might be perceived as questionable behavior on the part of the whole UGA football program.

The article makes it clear that Solomon and his people chose Michigan over UGA because of the perception that UGA treated it's recruits/players as disposable assets in a business decision rather than as kids who were good at football and also wanted a decent education and a college degree that was worth something.

I want Michigan to be perceived as the later and to date, It's pretty obvious they are.

Bad things in East Lansing. This is going to be a bad week for Michigan State. Tourney sel. chair Mark Hollis has canceled his 2-week CBB road trip due to obligations as Michigan St. AD that require him to be on campus. — Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) February 13, 2017 Nothing definitive has been released yet save for MSU's statement that three players and one staffer are under investigation for sexual assault; people seem to be expecting something very bad. Bad enough that point and laugh rivalry stuff is inappropriate. Solomon aftermath. Georgia fired its DL coach, Tracy Rocker, in the immediate aftermath of Signing Day. A Scout article asserted Rocker got in an argument with Aubrey Solomon's mom in an attempt to offer up an explanation, and recriminations ensued. Jeff Sentrell of Dawgnation* interviewed Sabrina Caldwell to get her side of things, and I have some bad news for Teddy Greenstein: She said a big reason why Georgia didn’t sign her son centered on coaching decisions and not anything specific in their recruiting relationship. Caldwell said they were affected by the scholarship that was no longer there for 4-star Texas RB and longtime UGA commit Toneil Carter. Adding to the confusion: SEC All-Freshman kicker Rodrigo Blankenship was not extended a scholarship offer despite what he did to win games for the Bulldogs last season. She said that was not her family’s fight but that it was a factor into how they perceived UGA. “We were concerned with the scholarship issues of those not either receiving (them) or getting it pulled and again (this was) not our fight but it played a factor,” she said. Michigan won that recruitment in part because it looked like the more stable and straightforward program a year after forcibly decommitting multiple kids late in the cycle. While there was something Michigan needed to get fixed (as I said at the time), fix it they did, and next year's Erik Swenson Is Thriving Despite Being Done Wrong article will have the same impact this year's did: nil. Caldwell's comments caused some introspection at Georgia-focused Get The Picture. It sounds familiar to anyone who read "Pick Up The Damn Phone" last year: I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by the amount of angst that cropped up in the comments following my post about Jeff Sentell’s interview with Aubrey Solomon’s mother.  It’s hard to let go of a gauzy, romantic image that you’re invested in, and for many, the ideal of a football program that doesn’t stoop to making business decisions when it comes to roster management is a powerful one.  (As powerful as the ideal that student-athletes are already more than fairly compensated for the privilege of playing.  But I digress.) Anyway, whatever else one might say about the Process, romantic it ain’t.  Kirby is being paid to win.  In his mind that includes pushing roster management aggressively.  The issues with Carter and Blankenship arose because Smart was at the edge, numbers-wise, with the 2017 class before the four underclassmen stepped up to announce they were staying.  That decision — and would any of us have preferred that they leave for the NFL? — meant that Smart had to do a lot of re-jiggering on the fly. I’m not defending the way the Carter situation was handled.  Smart botched that by not stepping up and telling the kid himself.  But he’s being paid to put together the best roster he can and that’s what he’s trying to do. For what it's worth, I believe that recruits' publicly stated reasons why they chose school X are almost always post-hoc backfilling after a decision has been made. Georgia wasn't the choice but Rodrigo Blankenship isn't the reason why. Also: GTP mentions that 100% above-board Mark Richt often slogged through SEC seasons with 70-some scholarship players. That's the choice the current system gives you: nobly waste resources or push the envelope with the detrimental effects to the croots. That's a dumb system. Michigan is navigating it better than they did last year, and Georgia will probably follow suit. *[Despite the fact that it sounds like a dot blogspot, Dawgnation is an Atlanta Journal-Constitution-owned UGA site roughly equivalent to a single-team Land Of 10, which is also an AJC property. IE: they got the journalisms.] The haves split from the other haves. Also spotted on GTP is this article from Jon Wilner detailing the coming revenue split even amongst the Power 5 conferences: Fiscal year 2015 school distributions (all figures confirmed): SEC: $32.7 million Big Ten: $32.4 million Pac-12: $25.1 million Fiscal year 2016 school distributions SEC: $40 million (confirmed) Big Ten: $35 million (approximate) Pac-12: $27 million (approximate) That looks bad … that is bad … but it’s about to get much worse for the Pac-12. Remember: The Big Ten’s new Tier 1 deal begins in 2017-18, and it’s also a whopper, averaging $440 million per year. Which brings us to … Fiscal year 2017-18 school distributions … Big Ten: $45 million (estimate) SEC: $43 million (estimate) Pac-12: $31 million (estimate) This is an even bigger gap than it looks because most SEC athletic departments run close to the bare minimum number of sports to qualify as D-I and Big Ten and Pac-12 schools carry up to 12 additional teams under that revenue umbrella. Not only is paying the players the correct thing to do from a moral, ethical, and free market standpoint; it is a Very Good Thing for the Big Ten as it tries to be good at football. And there can be absolutely no argument that the money is there. As of 2011 the Big Ten's payout was 23 million. By 2018 there will be 22 million dollars a year that did not exist just a few years ago. Half of that is sufficient to pay the revenue sports athletes 100k a year. In bubble news. (Not that bubble.) Disney CEO and therefore ESPN CEO Bill Iger: Disney CEO Bob Iger thinks there are too many ads on TV, and he's exploring whether Disney's ESPN and ABC channels should reduce the amount of commercials. “In general there is probably too much commercial interruption in television,” Iger said during Disney's quarterly earnings call Tuesday, especially when TV is competing with new digital upstarts like Netflix, some of whom don't have ads at all. Iger said Disney would evaluate the amount of ads aired within programs for its ESPN and ABC TV channels, though he did not say that any cuts to the so-called ad load were looming. My eyes pop out of my head when my mother voluntarily turns on cable TV programming with ads in it. (It's always HGTV, and they're always building tiny houses for some damn reason.) Live sports has long been the last bulwark against that kind of thing because there are no alternatives, but my God last year was brutal. The number of three-and-outs both preceded and followed by commercial breaks seemed to go up exponentially. At some point you have to balance out the money  you're making now with the money your losing down the road by making your product worse, and it's especially grating when the people actually comprising the product are not even compensated. In bubble news. (That bubble.) Michigan's moved out of the last four in on Lunardi's bracketology. They are one spot behind... Michigan State? The hell? I mostly look at Kenpom so that's jarring. There MSU is 54th; Michigan 31st. Metrics that are not margin aware, like RPI, have that ranking inversed. MSU is #41 in RPI; Michigan is 61st. MSU's main accomplishment in the eyes of RPI is to have lost to a bunch of good teams. Insert general scheduling lament here. The little details. Good rostering continues: Incredibly honored and blessed to have committed to the University of Michigan. Big thanks to @TheChrisRubio. #goblue pic.twitter.com/iZGV4urXkm — Matt Baldeck (@MattBaldeck) February 10, 2017 Michigan picks up another longsnapper, Matt Baldeck. Baldeck is making the Threet transfer: enrolling early and then transferring after his first semester. As a walk-on. Who was at Ole Miss. Etc.: Freddy Canteen transfers to ND, which will be interesting. I expected him to land at a smaller school. Indiana takes from Quinn and Holdin' The Rope. More croot profiles: Brad Robbins, JaRaymond Hall. Not a banner year in the Big Ten.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Re Solomon, I tend to agree with Brian's assessment that statements about why a recruit went to a given school are almost always garbage -- unless they say they just liked it better or it "felt like home." Solomon probably had to justify his decision to leave Georgia to Georgia faithful.

In any event, HARBAUGH!!! manages the roster as hard as anyone. I don't think M is at 85 at the moment, so Solomon's scholarship is forcing SOMEONE off the team. Someone is being cut. And, for that matter, they did pretty much the same thing last year with recruits that Georgia did, especially those awesome SWARM!!!! signees.

I also agree with Brian in that if you want a roster with 82-85 players, you have to be super aggressive with roster management. The Nick pioneered it. We were all outraged. Now we do it -- and I very much mean UFM and HARBAUGH!

Comment

• Regarding the Johnson hire:
              1. What is a guy with his credentials doing coaching at a high school? Is he being paid by a previous employer?
              2. I view this hiring the same way as I viewed the hiring of Cris Partridge. Much was said that Partridge was hired as a way of getting Gary. But... Partridge has turned out to be a fine coach and a top-level recruiter.

Is the SEC still using one-year renewable scholarships? If so, it seems to me that it would be easier to "cut" players who are not panning out, and hence to manage a roster. With all the hand-wringing about satellite camps, it seems to me that using a short duration scholarship is a great advantage to those schools doing it.

Comment

• The SEC is 1-yr, but I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference. M certainly manages its roster with a fair amount of aggression. Now, they don't have the nuclear option -- we won't renew -- but they do what other schools do and inform the kids that it'd be in everyone's best interest if they looked elsewhere.

I don't think The Nick does much (if any) non-renewing. The optics of that are too bad. So kids transfer -- just like they do at OSU.

Comment

• Buchanan-- I think "trillions of dollars" is an exaggeration. A quick google search reveals that college football revenue topped $3.4 billion for the first time in 2013.

And "Division I athletic spending over the past 11 years totaled "an estimated and jaw-dropping $171.3 billion" [http://www.usnews.com/opinion/op-ed/...s-bowl-season]

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    .......Solomon probably had to justify his decision to leave Georgia to Georgia faithful......
                    In the quotes that Briain posted from Jeff Sentrellof Dawgnation who interviewed Sabrina Caldwell (Solomon's mother)to get her side of things, it was the Mom, not Solomon, who said the practice we know as roster management and how it was carried out at UGA and specifically in the cases of Texas RB and longtime UGA commit Toneil Carter and SEC All-Freshman kicker Rodrigo Blankenship whose scholarships were pulled or not extended was a factor in Solomon's decision not to sign with UGA.

As I understood this piece, someone other than an 18 year old kid, someone with the maturity and smarts to look after Solomon, likely steered him away from UGA. That was largely because of a perception that UGA/Kirby Smart et. al. did not seem to have the best interests of their players in mind but rather winning and assembling the best roster to do that.

My view is that aggressive roster management is one of those behaviors in the ethical gray area. Is winning more important than the best interests of the young men who they are responsible for guiding and developing? It's a hard question. I favor Harbaugh leaning to a kid's best interests and I think he does.

Comment

• Whether it was Solomon or his mother, a post hoc justification in recruiting doesn't really carry much weight with me. I think Brian said as much in his write up.

For what it's worth, I believe that recruits' publicly stated reasons why they chose school X are almost always post-hoc backfilling after a decision has been made. Georgia wasn't the choice but Rodrigo Blankenship isn't the reason why.
                      I think you're whistling past the graveyard re HARBAUGH!!!! .... based on ample evidence. But we disagree and that's fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        ......I think you're whistling past the graveyard re HARBAUGH!!!! .... based on ample evidence. But we disagree and that's fine.
                        I don't think we are that far apart on this. If you go back to my original post, the underlying impetus for it was the mgoblog piece about the Solomon recruitment and the family's distaste for what we are calling roster management. That distaste, and as stated by Solomon's Mom, having been a factor in him not signing with UGA.

I get and don't really disapprove of roster management used to optimize the perceived talent on a given roster. It makes sense ..... but only when it is done in a way that those affected by it don't perceive it as some kind of screw job.

Doing it in a way that is going to be seen as acceptable is 90% of the job of doing it. I think Harbaugh understands that as it pertains to the 2016 and 2017 classes. To me, that means making sure you are taking care of the affected players options after you've decided to manage the roster. Saban understands that, meyer understands it.

All types of opponents - fans, reporters looking for dirt, competing recruiters - will throw shit on the wall in hopes that it will stick. In the case of roster management, those doing it need to make sure it's being done with the best interests of the team AND the affected players such that nothing sticks. There are plenty of ways to do the later. Kirby Smart didn't think that was necessary in the cases of the two players he jettisoned. Clearly it was.

Comment

• Paul Finebaum, shill for Shady Nick Saban, actually went on Outside the Lines with John U. Bacon and accused Harbaugh of cheating. The man is a paid prevaricator of the highest order:

Paul Finebaum and John U. Bacon join Outside the Lines to debate the ethics of Jim Harbaugh's recruiting tactics.
                          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Buchanan:

Yeah, we probably agree way more than we disagree. I think Kirby will be more careful going forward.

Comment

• Crickets from Finebaum:

I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I think the stories are frequent enough and targeted enough to know a few things about this, and that there are tons more ways of cheating than buying recruits. Some of the Tressell stuff just would never ever fly in Ann Arbor. And there are more ways of luring in recruits using gray areas. What Michigan does under Harbaugh is fine with me. He knows the place and the standards he must meet, about which the university is very serious.

Comment

Working...
                                X