Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is a great list. Well, at least for something cribbed from MGOFISH.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Told ya.

Comment

• Offense
        QB: Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Joe Milton & Tyler Shough
        RB: Tre’Shaun Harrison
        WR: Kamryn Bobb, Jahan Dotson, & L’Christian Smith
        TE: Will Mallory, Jeremy Ruckert & Brevin Jordan
        OT: Ryan Hayes, Jalen Mayfield & Daniel Faalele
        OG: Emil Ekiyor, Antwan Reed & Marquan McCall

Defense

DT: Tyler Friday, Michael Thompson
        DE: Aidan Hutchinson
        LB: Otis Reese, Dallas Gant & Kolin Demens
        CB: Myles Sims, Mario Goodrich & Isaac Taylor-Stuart
        S: Shayne Simon
        ATH: Dyami Brown

-

Things will be much clearer on who visits in the next month, six weeks. Sizable OL class will be filled nearly in-state. I'd project 18-19 members at this point, won't be a top 5 class but 10 is within reach.

Comment

• And to no ones surprise, Myles Sims is off the board. To us. By far my favorite CB prospect.

Comment

• Great pick up in a key state. What are the odds M can flip Kalon Gervin?
            Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• Close to the same odds that Brian Kelly gets fired.

Comment

• Sims is originally from Michigan. Can't really call this one plucking one away from the SEC but a kid coming home where he belongs.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                  Close to the same odds that Brian Kelly gets fired.
                  100%?
                  Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• There is also the chance M fills it's 2nd CB, 3rd DB spots before Gervin can jump to M. Probably isn't worth watching his recruitment till there is a change in his situation at ND, check back in November and see if ND has won 6 games yet.

Comment

• Christian Turner RB (3*, Georgia - 5'11"/187 lbs) commits, just visited ND, M and Sparty last week. Much better offer list than rankings: M, Notre Dame, Sparty, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Miami, Virginia, North Carolina, etc. Relatively new name to me so that's most of what I know.

Comment

• Could be a good indication Harbaugh is serious about incorporating more of a spread offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                          Could be a good indication Harbaugh is serious about incorporating more of a spread offense.
                          Maybe ....... 360lb OLmen, Owenwu for example although he is reportedly down to 340, generally don't fit the kinds of blocking schemes that spread teams use.

Hiring Greg Frey is an indicator of a move in that direction, however.

When I think of statements like, "M football might field a spread offense," I cringe for obvious reasons. Moreover, that term, "spread," means so many things these days. The term is terribly misapplied too often.

Does Nick Saban run a spread offense at Alabama? Does QB Jalen Hurts' presence in that offense define it as such? What type offense does UM run at osu? Are the NE Patriots with Tom Brady at QB a spread offense.

The point is, I'd like to find some new language to describe today's offenses especially in the college game.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I think of it as having significant horizontal elements and, at minimum, a running threat at QB. I think Alabama is more hybrid. I think M will move toward hybrid.

I think there is the traditional "read-option" spread. Inside and outside zone + inverted veer.

I think there is a hybrid-spread. They don't do much read option, but do use horizontal constraints and QB power leads.

I think these is a "WCO" spread. Or, you know, the Houston Cougars circa 1990.

In any event, I think you measure how "spready" the offense is by how foundational read-option is to the offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                              ...... In any event, I think you measure how "spready" the offense is by how foundational read-option is to the offense.
                              Agree, a good gauge.

With regard to Harbaughffense, I don't think you'll ever see him foundationally abandon the power run game. I believe it is a fundamental aspect of winning CFB games in that the passing offense run by NFL starting QBs is at a much higher level than anything CFB QBs are able to do.

So, You better be able to pickup 3rd and 4 or goal to go most of the time with a bread and butter, reliable run play. I've always thought this was foundational to Nick Saban's Alabama teams.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yeah, that and having a bunch of pipe-hittin' first round draft picks on the DL. Er, everywhere on defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X