Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 11-2, BCS bowl season hasn't added anything to this class.
    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Did Kozan announce? I don't see anything.
      Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Kozan to Iowa. No depth at center. Reeves to osu. CB a real position of need, too. Did Michigan offer Camren Williams?
        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Kozan is a Hakeye, not a significant loss if Diamond is a Wolverine. More disappointing about losing Reeves who decided to play with his best friend at Ohio State. Depth is a major concern on the OL after this '12 senior class graduates and M needed some kids in the '12 class to at least be reserves in '13... I really like Terry Richardson so the loss of Reeves isn't one that can't be overcome if guys like Coutness, Richardson & Hollowell work out as hoped...

Losing the last three in a row was tough: Garnett, Reeves & Kozan... Still options out there (Grant, Henry, Diamond) to fill the last 4 or 5 spots.

Comment

• Michigan Football Recruiting: Alex Kozan Commits To Iowa
            Jan
            12:50a
            by Sean Yuille

READ MORE: Michigan Wolverines

After missing out on offensive guard Joshua Garnett earlier in the week (he committed to Stanford), Michigan was hoping to fill its need at that position on Sunday night with Alex Kozan, a guard from Colorado. That did not happen, though. Instead, Michigan's recent string of bad luck on the recruiting trail continued, as Kozan decided to commit to Iowa over Michigan and Auburn, according to Sam Webb and other reports. (Also on Sunday night, Armani Reeves picked Ohio State over Michigan.)

Kozan, who is considered a four-star guard by two of the four major recruiting sites, would have been a nice get for Michigan. Rivals and ESPN give him four stars, whereas Scout and 24/7 Sports give him three stars.

Kozan's offer list is quite lengthy, which is another sign that he would have been a good get for the Wolverines and is a good get for Iowa. According to Rivals, in addition to Iowa, Michigan and Auburn, Kozan holds offers from Auburn, Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon and South Carolina, among many other schools.

With Kozan picking Iowa, Michigan is still stuck at four offensive line commits for 2012. Michigan is still in play for offensive linemen Jordan Diamond and Chris Muller and will hope to land one or both of them in order to make up for the disappointment of missing out on Garnett and Kozan.

For more on the Michigan Wolverines, check out Maize n Brew. You can also head over to SB Nation's main NCAA Football hub at SBNation.com/NCAA-Football.
            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Thanks guys; tough week indeed. Still a hell of a class, but like SLF & whodean mentioned, it's concerning the way Hoke & Co. are closing things out.
              Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                Kozan is a Hakeye, not a significant loss if Diamond is a Wolverine.
                So who plays center? I'll just assume Grant goes to Oklahoma and Diamond chooses Arkansas.

Comment

• Maybe it was somewhat inevitable after the incredible start, but this has been a really bad finish to this class. We have lost two players at positions of extreme need (Brown TE and Stacey C), and we have whiffed on almost every single blue chipper in the past five months. We also failed to land studs at positions of need that were obvious over a year ago (WR and RB).

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    Maybe it was somewhat inevitable after the incredible start, but this has been a really bad finish to this class. We have lost two players at positions of extreme need (Brown TE and Stacey C), and we have whiffed on almost every single blue chipper in the past five months. We also failed to land studs at positions of need that were obvious over a year ago (WR and RB).
                    Yup. It's still a great class, but it makes me a bit concerned for future recruiting.
                    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I wasn't going to speak too poorly of Kozan b/c you boys were in on him, but he's no loss. At most, he's maybe a two-deeper at some stage in his career, IMO.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The 11-2, BCS bowl season hasn't added anything to this class.
                        Recruiting is generally "relationships". Those don't change b/c M beat OSU and won a bowl game. And most kids have a notion of the "in" schools already.

As an example, Jim Tressel's best recruiting class, IMO, was his 2002 class coming off a 7-5 season. One of his worst was 2003, coming off his BCS Title. Hoke's winning now (and, for your sake, for the next few years) builds natural interest in 2014, 2015, 2016 kids.

As always, JMO.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I wouldn't have expected the Sugar Bowl victory by itself to make much difference, since the majority of this recruiting cycle still took place before Michigan won its 8th game. We've got some big needs to fill next year though. I'd really like to see a 5* gamebreaker at both RB and WR, another quality TE, another stud DT, and at least wo more quality OTs.

Comment

• ..... another point worth making is that recruiting from a coaches standpoint is about roster management; for fans its about seeing who can get the most 4 and 5 stars.

Yes, the rating services do indicate level of talent and class ranking can't be dismissed in a conversation about rating a recruiting class, but for the coaches, the rubber meets the road not with a recruiting services class ranking but rather with how well the roster is managed from a development standpoint over a 4 to 5 year cycle.

IMO, there is way too much emphasis placed on this lead up to signing day with respect to one's perception of a team's prospects for playing winning football. What did we do before all this crap? Recruits came, the roster was developed (or not) and football was played. Nothing has changed except for sports media coverage and the amount of money overly enthusiastic fans pay for it. Absurd really when you think about it. Companies like Rivals have just figured out ways to take money out of your pocket to pay for recruiting information that could be well spent elsewhere.

I'm not worried about Michigan football going forward.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Article on Hoke's recruiting methods:

Comment

• Jack Miller (class of '11) is the center of the future...

re: Kozan; Iowa was in on him forever, M 'just' got in on him; understandable and agree with talent that he's not a significant loss. Reeves I'm more upset about, he was a position of need and M was his #2 team in both his decisions. He though decided to play with his best friend, Camren Wiliams, a guy I wish the Wolverines had room for but M filled up at linebacker and didn't have room for another when the PSU situation hit the fan...

Garnett was huge on academics and over enthused about the pre-med program at Stanford, plus he's close enough to home for parents to possibly make the drive or at the least, can watch his games in the same time zone...

None are huge losses by themselves but the trend (along with losing Pharaoh Brown & Caleb Stacey) is more disturbing than losing any one of the above.

Comment

Working...
                                X