Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that Hoke & Co does so well with bringing in a 5* QB with OLers, but having a tough time recruiting the RB and WR positions?

Comment

• just a crazy theory of mine, but maybe it's because OL's and QB's are leaders and more intelligent, and being so, make the intelligent decision to commit to Michigan when the opportunity presents itself. RB's and WR's, OTOH, are too busy being impressed with themselves to pay attention...

Comment

• Hoke put all his eggs into the Bri'onte Dunn basket in the last recruiting class and there plan C & D were Drake Johnson and Dennis Norfleet... At WR they did alright, not a lot of receiver talent in the midwest (they passed on Burbridge due to academics, MSU still unsure if he'll qualify) and landed Jehu Chesson & Amara Darboh; both high quality recruits but not elite... If Shane Morris is as good as hoped, he'll make good receivers look great...

Again in '13, receiver talent is really low in the midwest and they have lots of work to do just to get kids from Texas, California on campus... I'm not worried about the RB/WR classes as its still VERY EARLY. Last year at this time, M just got its first commitment...

I expect the RB dominoes to start falling over pretty soon after Isaac announces, he'll decide between M, USC & ND; I like M's chances but he isn't visiting USC just for fun as he's (or his parents) paying his own way to go there. Isaac hopes to make a decision very shortly after his USC visit, probably within a week even; believe that visit is next week but I've might've read someone incorrectly... After Isaac declares, M will put more pressure and narrow down their other options or if they don't feel they have a good enough shot at those (DeVeon Smith & Derrick Green) they'll turn there attention to other running backs that they'll have a better shot with...

At receiver, M is recruiting Laquon Treadwell and a lot of guys from California, Texas and a couple kids on the East Coast. Most these kids are going to take officials in the fall and decide close to winter unless they jump at the last WR spot in M's class...

Similar concerns about defensive line recruiting as WR recruiting. Its going to be a much slower process as the kids M is recruiting are from all around the country and most of them are outside the midwest. Again, these interior defensive lineman (NT, 3-tech/DT & SDE/5-tech) aren't likely to decide until after they've taken officials in the fall...

M has been extremely picky on offers to safety, to me it seems they are content with just Dymonte Thomas yet they are willing to take a 3rd CB in this class. Considering M has been telling Dymonte he can try to play corner at first, I'd like to see another safety in this class...

LB recruiting is 'full' according to coaches, insiders don't know how to take this. The coaches either believe they are in good enough position with guys like Gedeon & Levenberry to pass up top 100 types in Alex Anzalone, Dorian O'Danial & Shane Jones or they have a silent commit among Gedeon & Levenberry... McCray still maintains M is only taking 2 LB'ers so M insiders are again confused whether they'll take Levenberry (who isn't going to decide till January reportedly) unless they have a spot open... FWIW it was believed Gedeon was on commit watch when he last visited.

Comment

• In short, RB situation is Ty Isaac then patience and see what options are out there...

WR situation is Laquon Treadwell and be patient with him as he's not hurried to make a decision, M still the favorite but others have made up ground. The other receivers M is looking at, are kids from outside the midwest and most of those likely won't make a decision till after official visits in the fall...

DL situation is be patient again...

Spring game (about April 14th) is usually a pretty critical recruiting weekend but probably won't be for M as their class is so full and most of their recruits left are outside the midwest.

Comment

• This class is getting pretty full at 15 members and M has landed most of their top targets at QB, OL, TE, LB & S... The rest the class will be harder pulls from around the country, I don't expect M to continue to land their top targets when they are recruiting outside the midwest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post
              just a crazy theory of mine, but maybe it's because OL's and QB's are leaders and more intelligent, and being so, make the intelligent decision to commit to Michigan when the opportunity presents itself. RB's and WR's, OTOH, are too busy being impressed with themselves to pay attention...
              I haven't heard O-linemen being called smart all that often.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                I haven't heard O-linemen being called smart all that often.
                Have you asked one?

If you do decide to, I'd advise you to do it nicely, seeing that most average about 6'6" and over 300 lbs.

:-)

Seriously, though, I really do think that, as a group, OL are likely to have a relatively high IQ, be willing to work as a group (takes intelligence), anticipate what each other will do on any given play, as well as anticipate what their own "skill" position guys are doing, what the "D" is doing, etc., etc. I'll have to take a look at some of my game programs from over the years of going to games at The Big House, but I'm pretty sure Michigan is well-represented on the Academic All-Conference and All-American lists by players from their OL. From all I've heard, it does take some amount of intelligence vs. pure aggression to play OL, as opposed to other positions. Seriously, like I said above...

Comment

• Is anyone in the '12 class going to get reps at center this fall?

Comment

• From '11:
                    *Jack Miller C
                    *Christian Bryant OG

From '12:
                    *Blake Bars OG
                    *Erik Magnuson OT
                    *Ben Braden OT
                    *Kyle Kalis OG

re: Center - Lots of college centers are high school tackles or guards that moved there in college. Your best offensive lineman in high school are almost always tackles; they move inside, whether to guard or center in college. Some people grossly over estimate the 'skill' it takes to play center.

Comment

• DeVeon Smith RB is a Wolverine!

Comment

• Is that good news? What about Hayes?
                        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Justice Hayes is a recruit from '11, redshirted last season...

Ty Isaac RB visits USC soon (either next weekend or the weekend after), not sure if he'll have a spot; I'd imagine he's the type you leave 2-3 spots for in case they want to be Wolverines. Like Kendall Fuller, EJ Levenberry, Su'a Cravens.

Comment

• Hope we take Isaac too.... Though I have a sinking feeling he is USC bound

Comment

• Woot woot! Do you think Hoke will hold tight now in giving out the remaining schollies?

Comment

• Well, if we don't get Isaac, I'd rather USC got him than the Domers. I remember there was a similar situation 5-7 years ago with Ronald Johnson from Muskegon. Big Michigan lean as a DB and then went USC as a reciever. A 4* DB then decommitted from USC and came to AA (Warren???). Hope Hoke is on some of the USC leans at RB.

We have a couple of great backs, and the logjam is going to break soon when Isaac commits. DeVon Smith wants to be here, and we are lucky to get him.

Comment

Working...
                                X