Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about that DB with Ricky Powers as his coach? He sounded high on Michigan but I haven't heard about him in a long time.

Comment

• Both DT's.

Comment

• Jarrod Wilson is still in play, he just visited Tuesday.

Comment

• He visited tuesday and hasn't committed? I don't like these games!

For the record, I am about 90% kidding.
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• In my mind, there are two types of kids. The kids that want to play for you, and the kids looking for the best "deal".

When you cater to kids looking for the best deal, you end up with a Tate Forcier that transfer out when things don't go perfectly. When you go after kids that want to play for you, you end up with a Tom Brady who sticks with you and actually becomes great.

Comment

• The problem is that a kid says yes, but I don't want to make it public yet. Then you stop recruiting kids at his position. Several months later he backs out of his "committment" and you are left scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's like a guy telling a girl, "We can get engaged, but let's not tell anyone." Meanwhile, he's still looking around for something better.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Tate Forcier committed in August during his visit to Michigan.

Comment

• I don't necessarily disagree Rock. But I also don't disparage the kid for wanting to do more due diligence in selecting his college. Signining day is still eight months out. This isn't Terelle Pryor or Seantrel Henderson here.

If UMich wants to move on, that's fine but I don't think the kid is playing games or has some character flaw because of it.

Comment

• In a general sense ..... and I'm not fingering Morgan here because I have no idea about this guy's character ..... but, what is there to know beyond I'm going to get a full scholarship at an elite educational institution, an opportunity to gain life long skills through study and a chance of a life time to play for the most prestigious college football program in America.

Look, this isn't that hard. Kids, their peers, their coaches and all their advisers and family, make it hard for them by putting issues out there in front of them that have no business in the calculation for guys like Morgan.

I think that's the way Bo played it and everyone subsequent to him that wore the title of Head Football Coach, University of Michigan (except possibly Rodriguez who did take a different approach .... and I'm not criticizing that) ...... this is what we have to offer you. You can grab the brass ring now or someone else probably will. Your choice.

Deals? We don't have any. You compete for a position with everyone else recruited to play where we told you we plan on playing you. Guy that works the hardest and, according to our coaching staff, wins the job every week, starts on Saturdays. Sure, M may miss out on some talented guys who want it there way but that's not the kind of player M needs right now on the team.

I'm pretty sure I'm echoing the sentiments of Hoke, Mattison and Borges. I'm fine with that.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• That may be. I disagree that it's a good thing to pressure these kids to commit before they were ready to.

But like I said I just didn't think that it's fair to impugn his character and talk about how he's selfish or afraid of competition or playing games. Hes a kid trying to make a huge decision that will affect the rest of his life. I cant blame him for wanting to take some time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                        Tate Forcier committed in August during his visit to Michigan.
                        In his case the "deal" was that Michigan had no QB, so he didn't have to compete. That deal went south with the unexpected progression of Robinson.

My point is this--if a kid is dicking with you by committing, then uncommitting, etc. etc. then unless he is an all-world 5-star irreplacable talent, you just move on. It doesn't mean he's a bad kid, just that you're better off finding someone who will stick to their committment once they give it.

I'm not saying the kid has to commit right away. I just don't want these "I'm in, no I'm out, no I'm in, no really I'm out" kids who clearly don't have any burning desire to play at your school. All they do is make it harder for you to properly recruit other guys, and they usually leave you standing at the altar in the end anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                          That may be. I disagree that it's a good thing to pressure these kids to commit before they were ready to.
                          I agree with this ..... but the calculation isn't as difficult as folks observing these kids try to make it.

Probably the worst part is the media coverage of recruiting. What should be a matter between the HS player and his family becomes a national event with press conferences that recruit-niks hang on to their TVs (or computers) for hours waiting to see which hat a 17 year old kid dons. Absurd.

That aside, if CFB could return to its culture and roots in the 50s and 60s I'd probably like it better, which is why my opinion on such matters is probably pretty lame. Times are different that's for sure.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I don't see why each and every kid must arrive with a burning desire to be here. Some or most, sure, but those others are likely to come along just fine and get swept up in the emotions of being part of the team once they get here.

Comment

• I agree Jeff. People get in these kids heads when there's hardly a bad decision to be made.

Especially for a cb. If you got the athleticism to play on Sunday's, the league will find you.

Comment

• I have no problem with recruits trying to find the right fit Jamie. I do have a problem with recruiting flakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X