Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be fair, the environment for making inroads into Ohio is a lot better now than it was in 2008.

Comment

• You're right, Jamie ..... more than that, from what I read, Midwest talent for both OL and DL is better than it has been in about a decade so, there are plenty of good HS recruits to choose from.

A guy at Rivals did a really good breakdown of past M OL classes going back to the 70s to answer the question is the 2011 class the best OL haul for M ever?

The answer was guarded of course by the reality that we'll have to wait to see in 5 years but the early bet (esp. if Kalis or one of the other 5*s is snagged) is yes, this class has the potential of being the best ever.

I can't attribute this completely to Hoke but I also can't dismiss the importance of his contribution either. I think the stars are aligned correctly including the smoldering pile of dog shit that osu's football program is right now and will become at the conclusion of the 2011 season.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Hoke has made the most of a great situation so far. This wasn't unpredictable. We knew going in that Michigan had a very favorable depth chart for a lot of positions, OSU has few schollies to give, the midwest is loaded, and Hoke is benefitting from the "first year coach" effect. I would have been pretty disappointed if this class had not ended up in the Top 12, even before OSU blew up. But on top of that, Hoke has done some incredible work beating Dantonio for guys who looked like MSU locks and it looks like he is going to flip a rivals Top 20 guy from OSU. We're also mopping the floor with pretty much everybody else. Remember just a year ago when Rodriguez was battling (and frequently losing) against the likes of Iowa and North Carolina for 3* guys? Not happening this year at all. Guru-wise, on paper, this will probably be the best class that we have had at least since 1998.

Comment

• Yeah, it seems like we are recruiting (and winning!) against other top schools. No more of the "Indiana, Ball State, Toledo, Michigan" offer lists.

Comment

• I thought this was a good read from theOzone.

Brady Hoke's Perfect Storm
            By Tony Gerdeman

Comment

• Excellent read considering the source. I would only quibble with one part:

Relatively speaking, there is virtually no pressure on the Buckeyes in this year's game. Only a desire to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Everything will be on Brady Hoke and Michigan's shoulders.

Certainly, this is a big game for Hoke but, IMO, all the pressure will be on the buckeyes. The writer is correct, this WILL BE osu's last game of the 2011 season and post game season - they won't be playing in it. Count on this.

Michigan could be playing for a berth in the first B10 title game or they could be trying to make an early December bowl .... I have no clue and won't until well into the season. It is that uncertain of a situation at present.

I do think luke fickell is going to have a very tough time trying to keep a group of athletes used to getting whatever they wanted from boosters under the tressel regime, who don't give a shit about tradition when they are not lining their pockets with cash for playing or trading memorabilia, focused on actually playing football in the B10 for the right reasons.

The tressel era for osu was about getting it now, by any means. It seems, if comments from former osu players who played for the right reasons during their days at osu are accurate, that a big slice of tradition was lost. The tressel/pryor symbiosis and what it bread at osu has very likely become an embedded culture. It is not good for football in general and it is going to hurt osu unless fickell can turn it around. Frankly, I think he is too young, too inexperienced and may think more like the vest than he lets on that he does.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                Brady Hoke's Perfect Storm
                "Hoke has taken his love of everything that he believes Michigan to stand for and has worn it on his outstretched sleeve like a falconer's glove. Unpierceable."

This is why I am so very "up" on Hoke, and was from the beginning (I wanted him over Harbaugh if ya'll remember).
                Atlanta, GA

Comment

• It's weird talking about all these commits when the most recent class hasn't even arrived on campus yet for fall ball. I have to remind myself sometimes that it's June and all these commits still have their senior seasons of football to go, one has two seasons!

Comment

• Actually most recruits arrive around campus in the summer, take summer classes and are participating in S&C & 7-on-7 type practices.

Comment

• I hate to say it, but I miss having Talent's take on recruiting. I wonder if we can cajole him into coming back. Where is he roosting these days?

Comment

• The Goat Pen, at least a little bit. I haven't checked in there in 2 or 3 weeks but I saw his name there when I did.

I'll take a look to see if he's had some recent posts.

Comment

• I guess Talent ran away when the Tressle got exposed.

Comment

• By the way, I just realized BIW never found his way over here.

Comment

• Never heard why Talent and Stan disappeared.
                              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Stan is around .... he usually doesn't post during the off season as he is too busy chasing fire engines.

Stan, if ur lurking, hello
                                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 29, 2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X