This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upperclassman

I assume you mean "four" years in the program. IMO, a redshirt sophomore is as much an upperclassman as a junior. And IMO there is absolutely no "youth" excuse at 3 years and up -- see, e.g., Kalis, Kyle. Compare to Spence, Noah. Same class.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I would love to have Harris or Weber but Isaac being in the fold eliminates the need for them. They are embarrassing losses but the difference between having a redshirt sophomore Isaac for three years vs having Harris for four years probably won't amount to much.
      Last edited by Hannibal; June 5, 2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Well, that depends on what you think of Ty Isaac. Whatever the reasons he gave for leaving USC, he was a 3rd string RB for them, at best, with a logjam in front of him and a frosh that may have/already did pass him. Perhaps M will be a better fit for him than USC. But if USC's evaluation is any indication, M would be better off with Javorious Allen, Tre Madden and maybe even Justin Davis -- players who were rated lower than Isaac.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Getting lost in the shuffle at USC doesn't worry me much. It's going to happen to a couple 5 star guys every cycle regardless of their talent. Isaac has NFL potential, he knows how to run, when to cut and can explode through the opening.

He reminds me of Arian Foster.
          The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• He averaged 5.9 ypc in his brief mop-up time.

It's not hard for a program to stockpile a few elite running backs and just not have enough carries to go around. USC's crazy depth chart was a known issue when he committed. I remember thinking he could get lost in the shuffle there.

Justin Fargas transfered from Michigan to USC under very similar circumstances (although he was less impressive in his limited freshman year duty)
            Last edited by Hannibal; June 5, 2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Noah Spence was a can't miss prospect as long as he had his head on straight, a guy I expected to be in the NFL after 3-years. He was a favorite of mine as a recruit; a guy I'd have considered a 6-star prospect. I can't compare him and Kyle Kalis, or anyone who plays offensive line, a position that takes a long time to develop and is far more difficult (at least for me) to gauge talent at the high school level. I'd also argue Borges held back the offensive lines development and progress by his overly complex blocking schemes...

A 3rd year player is a 3rd year player, regardless if they redshirted. That said, a 5-star recruit certainly should help a team earlier in his career than a 3-star. M's deep '12 recruiting class didn't have much 'elite' talent, your only example of Kyle Kalis (5*) along with Ondre Pipkins (5*) were the only top 100 recruits in their class... edit: I just looked it up, Magnuson was a top 100 recruit too but again, he plays on the offensive line, the position I expect to take the longest to develop...

I expect players at non-line positions (plus WDE) to earn playing time as 2nd/3rd year players and produce (start) as 3rd/4th year players. For the offensive and defensive lines(- WDE), I'd move those figures up a year, earn playing time as 3rd/4th year players, start as 3rd-to-5th year players...

One disadvantage these M kids have that most other kids at other programs have is having upperclassman to lead and teach them. M has been devoid of any 4th, 5th year players, even lowly ranked 4th/5th year scholarship players that you wouldn't expect to start but do anyways like say Mark Huyge or Mark Ortmann.

Comment

• re: Ty Isaac -

I don't like Isaac's upright running style from a running back. I don't think I'd have him rated as a 5-star out of high school. His power, speed potential is obvious but guys with his type of running style need to learn there actually is a time to 'get low/small', it's something Isaac still needs to learn judging from highlights at USC...

Two, this is a very much needed pickup with: 1. M holding off on taking any '14 running back 2. Not looking good to land a RB in '15 3. Both RB's in '13 class not redshirting. That made Ty Isaac a position of great need.

Comment

• Upright running style is a big concern since our RBs coach has yet to prove that he can correct that.

Comment

• on another front, Bo Peline proposed to do away with National Signing Day. Makes all the sense in the world.

In an interview with ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg released Wednesday afternoon, Nebraska head football coach Bo Pelini suggested that putting an end to national signing day ...

Comment

• It's good news no matter how much rival fans try to diminish its impact. We haven't been pulling in running backs as in the glory days of yore. The RB position just received needed depth and a talent upgrade. Tip o' the hat to Hoke & Co. for a job well done.
                      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I agree that this is a good turn of events. Even if only to firm up the talent base at RB, and give it some much needed depth. Isaac won't be required to shoulder the entire load, and will likely be in a three man rotation with Derrick Green and Deveon Smith. I suppose that one of those will be called upon to carry a bit more of the load than the others, and I really don't care which one it is.

The key to the 2014 season is the running game. It MUST come thru if Michigan wants any real success this year. Relying on Gardner to throw and run his way to wins just won't work.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Isaac is a nice get. He still needs an OL in front of him that can win the line of scrimmage against teams outside of the MAC.

Funk better deliver with the O-Line.

My fear is that Hoke got rid of only one bad apple on the offensive staff leaving one, maybe two that should have gotten pink slips too.

Funk has yet to show he can develop players on the OL and in the last 5 or more years, I've not been impressed with Fred Jackson's body of work with the running backs.
                          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Well that is good news, also Hoke said on the radio that Funk is without a doubt the best O-Line coach in college football. Not sure about that one (lol)

Big House Football

According to some of the younger players on the team, Taylor Lewan specifically and the senior class were the major problem in the locker room. The underclassmen did not like Lewan’s leadership and certainly didn’t like the seniors surrounding him.

Some players recounted stories of fights in the locker room, which isn’t uncommon, but there were many and they always pitted the seniors against the underclassmen. Lewan was an entitled “psycho” who didn’t care about anything but his own draft status according to some in the locker room, while the younger players were initially looking to the senior for leadership, what they found were self entitled bullies who really weren’t interested in showing the younger guys “the Michigan way.”

For his part, Brady Hoke has always maintained that Lewan was never a problem as a leader and did everything the right way. But we simply cannot believe anything that comes out of Hoke’s mouth, he has continually played fast and loose with the truth and out and out lied too many times to have any credibility.

The underclassmen and a near revolt and transfer tidal wave was averted late in the season, but most of the younger players are not happy that the coaching staff let Lewan run the show, knowing he was allegedly involved in intimidating a potential rape victim and that he did indeed punch an OSU fan. This explains the teams lackluster performance in the bowl game against Kansas State. The underclassmen simply weren’t interested in sending the seniors out with a win.

The graduation of Lewan and his minions just might be the best thing that has happened to Michigan since Hoke arrived, expect a more cohesive club this fall now that Taylor Lewan and his ilk are gone.

Comment

• If true, and given what has come out about Lewan, I tend to give it some credence, where was Hoke? Did he step in at all? If not, why not? That is all pretty concerning.

Comment

• Ok, a LITTLE bit of positivity here...all we need is the OL to be ABOVE AVERAGE. Good would be a bonus. There's talent at RB, WR(unproven), TE(arguably best in the conference if you count Funchess) and a 5th year QB. As long as the OL doesn't put us backwards(MSU, etc) we could squeak out a pretty good season. Just ok, not even good could make this a good team. The negative plays last year set the offense back so fuckin much it's sickening to even think about. I'm not proclaiming Nuss to be the savior, but he's definitely someone who can put a thumb on the leak and that might be all that the offense needs to take a pretty significant step.

Now, STFU all of you...I know there's more evidence to support the contrary, but just like last year, there's not an unwinnable game on the schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X