Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been a subscriber starting with the very first issue which came out in 1954 and have taken it ever since. I agree it seems to have slipped some in recent years. Lots of memories. But there has been much thoughtful content over the years

It is interesting how our national sport has shifted from baseball to football during that interval. Baseball was king in those early days.

Comment

• Sounds like Michigan might finish 2nd on a lot of these recruits... Smith, Marshall, & Clark.
      If there is any hope with Clark, his decision is at 8:15am East. That is 5:15am UCLA time... idk why he would pick UCLA if his announcement is that early.

For once though, I would like to see a top recruit pick a Michigan hat from the table... idk if I've ever seen that.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Derrick green, no?

Comment

• good point Cody. Of course, ESPN may have set the schedule

Comment

• My view is that expectations that Harbaugh was going to swoop in and suck up huge numbers of talented committeds from other schools just because HARBAUGH was unrealistic.

As it's been said before, recruiting is about relationships first, opportunity to thrive and succeed at th next level second. Winning is in their somewhere and Hoke got hurt by his failure to do that.

Harbaugh got in too late on one of the most import aspects of recruiting - the relationships thing. He'll have a better opportunity in that regard going forward ......... If he starts delivering wins.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It's also about getting to the league/player development. That was going to eventually start to hurt Hoke big-time, especially on the OL and especially going up against OSU.

The winning thing, IMO, doesn't have to be huge for M. Winning is about the brand. M, in theory, has (definitely HAD) a top brand. And it still is big-time and still has that feel where it's not hard to sell anyone on winning. I think winning is far more important to MSU and other schools that lack that brand value.

But, it's still comfort and relationships. And then it's a collection of variables kids value more or less depending on who they are.

My view is that expectations that Harbaugh was going to swoop in and suck up huge numbers of talented committeds from other schools just because HARBAUGH was unrealistic.
              Yeah -- honestly, that's an unrealistic expectation for any coach at any program. Pilfering really good committed recruits is tough -- unless they're South Florida kids -- heh.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Or you use auburn money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                  Derrick green, no?
                  True. I happened to miss his live announcement.
                  When I've actually watched, I think Michigan is 0-8 with the "hat pick." ... Just bad luck I guess
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• His was a Helmet pick.

Comment

• Harbaugh is shaking the trees again today. Several visitors in Ann Arbor, and Sam Webb seems to think there's a good possibility as many as 3 might flip from their weak commitments elsewhere. We shall see, I guess.

Even if he doesn't flip anyone, I like the aggressiveness in his recruiting efforts. He's burning up the jet fuel, phone lines, e-mails, and anything else that it takes to bolster the roster.

Exciting days for the Maize and Blue. Too long in coming, IMO.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I think they have 3 prospects on campus. One, Fitzgerald I think his name is, is a 4 star whose Dad has coached for the Lions and for UTenn. It seems like a coaching father would appreciate the staff UM has, and boy do we need WR. I suspect Drake Harris will be moving on.

Comment

• If the Wolves don't land any of their top prospects, would it be benificial for them to take as few recruits as they can this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                            I think they have 3 prospects on campus. One, Fitzgerald I think his name is, is a 4 star whose Dad has coached for the Lions and for UTenn. It seems like a coaching father would appreciate the staff UM has, and boy do we need WR. I suspect Drake Harris will be moving on.
                            Van Jefferson. His dad is Shawn Jefferson, who played in the NFL and coached for the lions for 8 years. He went to OLSM until his junior year I think.
                            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Based on offers, it sounds like they don't think that they can land Weber, but they want to take an RB regardless.

Comment

• No telling on Weber but he's in play until he signs a letter of intent.

You have to parse through a ton of BS on mgoboard but my conclusion after doing that is:

Adams - better than 60%
                                Clark - Shade above 50%
                                Burnett - Shade above 50%
                                Jefferson - 30%
                                Wheatley - 25%
                                R.Smith - Below 25%
                                Marshall - Below 20%

M probably gets 2 of these guys and 1 surprise out of all these targets that goes against the odds. 3/7 is a pretty good batting average for Harbaugh's circumstances.

It's also really hard to try to read into multiple offers at a single position. Does it mean low likelihood of getting target #1? Is there really a #1 or is there a #1 and #1a? Is the offer an inducement to a more highly prized target?

When you start trying to read into what offering one guy over another who was offered first things get fuzzy.
                                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 31, 2015, 10:28 PM.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X