Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mess that is NCAA rules. Never heard of K.I.S.S.

Comment

• interesting tidbit:

"every national champion since 2003 has had at least one No. 1 class or multiple No. 2 overall classes"

Comment

• Hopefully Jimmy Ballgame and crew keep that trend going if we take the recruiting class consensus.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• It's taken well over 300 points to top the 247 Composite over the past 3 years.

If M lands Gary, Terrance Davis, Hill and Isaac Nauta, they'll still be at 290.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• yeah... we're not getting to #1 this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              Partridge was his high school coach. Getting Gary is a lock.
              Gary's mom said that Greg Schiano and Larry Johnson are a dream team. Schiano was recruiting Gary in middle school. If Gary uses his last official on osu they'll have a fighting chance.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• yeah... we're not getting to #1 this year.
                Yeah, not if other schools in the top 10 continue to sign kids. Heh.

If I had to guess at a top 5 right now, I'd say Alabama, FSU, LSU, Ole Miss and Auburn. But I have no idea how those schools are looking for additional recruits/flips. Florida could probably jump, but they're even tighter on numbers than M. Georgia and USC could make big jumps, too.

Ohio State and M should finish somewhere in the bottom half of the top 10 at this point. I'd probably bet on M finishing ahead of OSU because I like their chances better with the "big fish" still out there. Gary is a lock. Hill seems very probable. Davis...I'm not sure why he hasn't committed yet -- that's the only thing that gives me pause. Nauta is probably no. OSU is chasing southern kids...DT from Louisiana...lol....WR from Florida....woof...

Gary's mom said that Greg Schiano and Larry Johnson are a dream team. Schiano was recruiting Gary in middle school. If Gary uses his last official on osu they'll have a fighting chance.
                R-E-L-A-X. He's yours. Ohio State has a better chance of pulling Rashard Lawrence out of Louisiana in a H-t-H against LSU. Which is to say 1% > 0%.

Comment

• The greatest recruiting Tool/Weapon in the state of NJ is Jabrill Peppers, period.

Every kid has heard of him, wants to emulate his success, he has more influence over any potential player and that route leads to AA.

Even Chris Partridge is losing his connection, sure they have heard of him but he no longer has the relationships directly with the players.

Which means Greg Schiano is even further removed from NJ reality by 6 years or more. So he is supposed to to use his stale, antiquated "NJ Connections" to send Gary to Ohio? Pretty transparent and despite, obviously reeks of what is best for GS, UM & Ohio St., not Gary and his future. Hopefully the Gary's aren't stupid. Good luck.

12/16/2015 statement by his mom, you can't unring that damage with 2 only weeks until NSD.

Gary's mother, Jennifer Coney, told Todderick Hunt of NJ.com that she wasn't pleased with Ohio State's academic presentation as part of the recruiting process.

It is now Schiano's goal to help Ohio State repair that.

"He wanted to know what to sell. I said the academics. I told him about the academic presentation I had from the school, and that we weren't happy with it," Coney told NJ.com. "And you don't get a second chance at an academic presentation when I know how serious academics are.

"He told me what he did at Rutgers and I said I heard that academics were paramount at Rutgers when he was there. And he said he's going to do the same thing at Ohio State. And I said, 'Well, that's good, but signing day is right around the corner and there is no luxury of time. We don't have it.' And he said, 'Well, I'm not talking about weeks, I'm talking about getting to the bottom of it, right now.' "

Right now is the middle of a recruiting dead period that runs from Dec. 14-Jan. 13, which means there's no in-person visiting between coaches and prospects.
                  Last edited by Prime2; December 22, 2015, 09:37 AM.
                  "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• "He told me what he did at Rutgers and I said I heard that academics were paramount at Rutgers when he was there. And he said he's going to do the same thing at Ohio State. And I said, 'Well, that's good, but signing day is right around the corner and there is no luxury of time. We don't have it.' And he said, 'Well, I'm not talking about weeks, I'm talking about getting to the bottom of it, right now.' "

Schiano is going to get to the bottom of the academic situation immediately? Seems that UFM would have done that already. Perhaps he's been too busy?

Comment

• Prime a few surprisingly good points.

The "non-merit" value of Partridge is nearly at an end. He won't have the same relationships with recruits going forward. He'll still know NJ, but now he'll have to recruit. Either way, if M bought Gary by hiring Partridge then great deal.

Schiano is a good recruiter. But he has no relationships with players in NJ right now. He probably still knows NJ, too, but whatever. I'd much rather have a great recruiter than a guy that relies on a network of HS coaches. Great recruiters can go anywhere. We'll see what Schiano can do going forward -- for the 2 years he's at OSU.

Peppers, I think, is more of a lure to position players than kids from a region. But that's really minimal value, IMO, either way.

WRT Gary and Mama Gary, for whatever reason, they didn't mesh with OSU. I could post a hundred quotes from kids about how great the academic presentations were. A hard and fast rule in recruiting is that academics are rarely the reason for or against. It sounds better than to just say, "I really like the facilities" or "I didn't get along with the staff" or, in the case of some schools, "they bought my dad a church." Mama Gary can pretend that academics matter, but ask yourself this...if that's case, why on earth are they looking at Auburn and not, say, Stanford? Or Virginia. Or 100 other schools. Like I said...talk of "academics" is to be ignored nearly all the time. I can only think of 1 or 2 exceptions.

But, back to Gary, the "time" issue is relationships. Gary feels super comfortable with Patridge and the M staff. That's that. Nothing OSU does will change that.

Comment

• Quoth the Cardale. .."I ain't come here for no learnin'..."
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• To be sure, that one story talks about OSU reopening the door but if you actually read the quotes from Coney she's a whole lot more negative than the story itself is. Seems rather misleading, and the whole vibe jives with what Talent's saying. Harbaugh brought in Partridge, he's brought in Gary, and from here needs to earn his way on merit.

Overall, I think this is fine. Harbaugh's bought himself some early momentum using Partridge and Bush's dad perhaps (is that still happening?), and those trade-offs in terms of staff positions will hopefully help create the momentum needed to start getting the recruits in solely on the merits of the school and program and recent alumni. NJ pipeline established, with Peppers and hopefully soon Gary and Mitchell etc. serving as examples for kids a few years younger. FL pipeline in development and hopefully that develops similarly. Frontier markets in TX, CA.

Comment

• Yeah, there's no Florida pipeline. Well, only to the extent that there's 100s of kids down there and you can land some. But M isn't anywhere close to getting the big boys in Florida. FTR, OSU isn't really there, either. UFM has landed 4 "elite" kids from Florida, and two of those kids are Bosas -- and another has the knees of an octagenerian. The best thing OSU has going for it is a STA relationship. But even then, that's South Florida, and that's the wild west...though Broward may be a touch more sane than Dade.
                            Last edited by iam416; December 22, 2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Penn St. is saying they will get a visit from Tennesee WR, and recent Michigan commit, Nate Johnson on January 29. He also has officials set for Miami and Vanderbilt. Guess he just wanted to secure a spot with Michigan and then look around some more.
                              Last edited by Rocky Bleier; December 22, 2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                Yeah, there's no Florida pipeline. Well, only to the extent that there's 100s of kids down there and you can land some. But M isn't anywhere close to getting the big boys in Florida. FTR, OSU isn't really there, either. UFM has landed 4 "elite" kids from Florida, and two of those kids are Bosas -- and another has the knees of an octagenerian. The best thing OSU has going for it is a STA relationship. But even then, that's South Florida, and that's the wild west...though Broward may be a touch more sane than Dade.
                                Well with a state like that you'd never expect to own it, or skim most of the cream like what may be happening in NJ. You just want to be amongst the teams that can go down there and get your share. Michigan isn't there yet, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                                X