B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
    I still think that Izzo is headed for being ONE OF the better coaches in the B1G rather than THE BEST in the B1G.

And IMO, the "THE BEST" came at the expense of Michigan fighting with both hands tied behind its back for 10 years.
    I think that argument holds better were Izzo pulling in recruits. But his success didn't rely on getting more talent thanks to a rival going in the tank, save for the Cleaves recruitment. After Jason Richardson and Zack Randolph he's shied away from one-and-done types. His success, as seen by making the Final Four twice as a 5 seed, as talent points out, comes from getting the most out of his talent.

Comment

• Incidentally, that's also how they beat OSU the year before -- they defended really, really well. Yeah, Buford was shit on a fucking stick in that game, but they challenged most shots, made it difficult for Sullinger to boss the paint and generally locked down on Diebler until the end of game when he said fuck it, I'm shooting from 25 (and making it).

They held a really, really good offense (I'll have to check the efficiency numbers for comparison to M) to 60.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yeah, 2010-11 OSU had higher offensive effiency numbers, and that's for the full season (M still has the hardest part of their schedule left).

Offensive effiency: 125.1 to 124.6

Defensive efficiency: 88.4 to 89.8

Ohio State also shot over 42% on 3P. Michigan, which is really shooting 3Ps well this year, is at 39. Lighty and Buford were both good, but Diebler -- 114 for 227. Sick. Sigh, I miss watching a team that could score.

The point being that a team like UK could win that game because they could defend so well. They were able to choke off several options and put most of it on Buford, who didn't answer.

Comment

• And OSU just beat Michigan for the same reason, despite a large talent disparity. My question: does Beilein ever consider recruiting a player like Craft? Or a player like Sullinger? I dunno.

Comment

• Uh, he'd recruit Sullinger all day long. I mean, the kid was top 5 nationally. For good reason.

Craft? Dunno. If Matta had taken Burke, I think Beilein might have pushed for Craft. Neither was too highly regarded -- probably in roughly the same neighborhood of rankings.

Comment

• I'd hope so. I don't know that he'd know what to do with Craft, but then again I'm working myself into a frenzy over this at this point. He's proven to change his system according to the talent he has, and he's the one who goes out and gets that talent. We'll see next year, as long as McGary stays. That'll be the indicator.

Comment

• Would you take Craft over Burke? He wouldn't take both in the same class and I'd rather have a player like Burke over Craft, as ridiculous as Craft's on ball defense is. Just like I'd take a player like Walton over Craft, the PG in '14 Booker over a player like Craft and before Burke, a Darius Morris player over a player like Craft. Craft is awesome on defense, but sucks donkey cock on offense. I'd for sure take him in a class where we had schollies available. For example, I'd take a Craft player to fill out a class over a Levert player.

Comment

• I didnt say craft over burke. I wondered whether a guy like craft would ever even be considered. Im sure the point is clear...

Comment

• McGary is a sully type, body-wise and both are "even with the rim" players. Sully had more polish and Mitch has more hustle.

Comment

• Heh. Even with the rim, yes.

Comment

• Now THIS is the attitude I want my team captain to have. Never would have seen this coming...

Coach Tom Izzo wanted to send a message to his team captain, who missed a class and tutoring session at a point in his academic career when he is close to graduation.

Comment

• Several things:

1. Michigan State's Derrick Nix says laziness caused him to miss class, start against Illinois -- missing class caused him to start? Smarten up, headline writers!

2. Agreed.

3. "He'll be the first human being in his family to graduate," Izzo said. "It'll be a cold day in hell before I do anything but get him graduated. If he has to sit the rest of the games, he'll sit. He knows it. -- LOL. So some Nix family pets have managed a degree?

Comment

• Just read the cbssports.com scouting-snippets thing on Duke. I haven't seen them play this year, but going by that alone, Beilein has to send his 20 fouls out there against Plumlee (64% from the line) and it's fine. Bigger role for Beilfeldt and his tree-trunk legs there. Better still if McGary has a bit of post game and can maybe put a foul or two on the kid. Horford too.

Comment

• Wow, I've seen Duke play a solid 6 or 7 times this year. Plumlee seems way better than 64% from the line. I know he was pretty bad earlier in his career, but he's looked good in the games I saw.

Yeah, Plumlee would be a tough matchup for us. He's way more athletic than any of our bigs.

Comment

• Only just my initial impressions, but 20 fouls -- use them and reap the rewards.

Do you think it's an accurate scouting report? They sound like us in some ways, but with the inside-out approach instead of our Burke/penetration based model.

Comment

Working...
                                X