No announcement yet.

B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack, I don't know about the rest of your claims but Michigan is second best in the nation in Turnovers. How much better ball security are you demanding?
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• But they played 17 games against mostly nobody first. It will be interesting to see how those numbers look when the conference schedule is complete. Against the teams that matter -- the types of teams you have to beat to win the trophy -- Michigan is uncomfortable being pressured and coughing up turnovers late in games. Craft strips Burke, i.e., on that pivotal possession before Michigan finally played some defense in overtime. Stauskas had IIRC 2 major TOs late against OSU, and four overall in that game.

Wisconsin saw that, I bet, because on that rebound he lost they trapped him hard immediately. Fast enough that you imagine maybe Bo Ryan told them to look out for Stauskas in that situation. He's just not comfortable being pressured when he has the ball in his hands. Teams are going to notice this and unless Stauskas learns to come down cradling that rebound like a running back, or to call time out, or something, he's likely to be a target from now on. I guarantee Izzo is telling his guys that all day today and tomorrow.

IMO as soon as Morgan is back we have to see a Morgan/McGary lineup. Probably with McGary at high post b/c of his jumper and lack of effectiveness on the blocks offensively. Two main reasons:

-defensively, teams are feasting on the offensive boards by getting the one big to bite on penetration, and the perimeter defense isn't good enough to compensate.

-GR3 is toast. It's just not working, whether it's b/c he's tired going up against larger guys or whatever. There needs to be less minutes for wings and GR3 and more minutes for bigs. Hopefully the defense gained outweighs the offensive spacing lost.
      Last edited by hack; February 11, 2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• They are third overall in the big ten (in big ten play only) with 10.3 TO/game

Comment

• For a team that plays inferior defense in comparison with the other contenders for the conference crown, IMO that's not good enough. Gotta turn it over less if you expect to give up more points. Any of the stat hounds know where to get the splits? 224 turnovers in 24 games = 9.3 overall, so there's certainly a difference now that they are facing big-boy defenses.

Comment

• If my numbers are right, it was 8.5 TO per game during the non con.

The other thing to remember is that after At MsU tomorrow, they have two more games against big boys and both are at home. The other 4 are PSU/PSU/Ill(at Crisler)/Purdue.

IMO the biggest problem with Bs coaching this year has been overplaying Robinson and Stauskus early. Both are pretty wiped out now, and their games have fallen off considerably.

Comment

• It's a one-loss team, perhaps, if he did that but also coached them to play some freakin D. Agreed that UM has played more tough games up front than the others. Which is why even with 3 losses vis-a-vis 2 for MSU and Indiana, Michigan IMO is still in the driver's seat for the title. Not that I care about it...

What that underscores is that Beilein is doing an amazing job but could be doing better. Stress defense a little more and I might be convinced he's God.

Comment

• It would be nice if Indiana received a few foul calls...
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• @Indiana, doesn't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                    What that underscores is that Beilein is doing an amazing job...
                    What metrics are you using when you say this?

What if you could go back in time and tell your 2008 self that Beilien, in his first four years, would be 6-18 against OSU and MSU, with all of those wins being close ones, and many of the losses being blowouts? And that he would win two NCAA tournament games in those five years, with not a single Sweet Sixteen, and that in two other years, we would be so bad that we would not make the NIT.

Would your 2008 self be happy about that? Is that what everyone expected? That Beilien would be Tom Izzo and Thad Matta's bitch for five+ seasons without winning anything of significance?
                    Last edited by Hannibal; February 14, 2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• It took John Wooden 14 years to reach a FF and 16 to win a title. Give the man some time. Beilein just needs his Sam Gilbert.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                        What metrics are you using when you say this?

What if you could go back in time and tell your 2008 self that Beilien, in his first four years, would be 6-18 against OSU and MSU, with all of those wins being close ones, and many of the losses being blowouts? And that he would win two NCAA tournament games in those five years, with not a single Sweet Sixteen, and that in two other years, we would be so bad that we would not make the NIT.

Would your 2008 self be happy about that? Is that what everyone expected? That Beilien would be Tom Izzo and Thad Matta's bitch for five+ seasons without winning anything of significance?
                        That's a powerful argument. But it does take time. In the end tho, no matter how much I would prefer a defense-first coach, this is the guy we have and his job is safe. Gotta hope he adjusts.

Comment

• Wow. Hanni would fire a HC based on wins/losses vs OlieO and MSU only.

Tough crowd.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                            Wow. Hanni would fire a HC based on wins/losses vs OlieO and MSU only.
                            Where did I say this?

Comment

• No Liney, on the basis of what's about to happen to this team. I've seen enough.
                              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Well I dunno about that but you sure don't want to hire and fire based on what happens before conference play starts.

Comment

Working...
                                X