B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
    re: hiring at places like M & Nebraska, Michigan Men and such...

It was clear the last head coaching search was heavily influenced by big money donors looking and they clearly wanted a so-called Michigan Man as opposed to the best candidate available. Most all of there candidates were so-called Michigan Men; Hoke, Harbaugh, Miles though Ferentz was clearly a candidate too...

I don't know if this is true at all or any other universities but I believe after a certain period of losing or mediocrity, the desire for a so-called Michigan Man becomes much lower on the list of priorities than that of being an excellent coach. If you lose to your rivals long enough, I've seen some universities losing their ethics and hire coaches known to play in the gray and black area of the rules.
    This is a really good post IMO, and highlight yet another similarity between UM and NU; both are struggling their way through periods of esoterism.

Call it arrogance, call it ignorance, call it both...the who and the how are more important than the results. We are both getting the kinds of results that follow that type of belief. Frankly, probably better results than we deserve in our case. Hoke at least had proven something as a HC.

Comment

• What has Hoke proven?
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
        How does that happen at Purdue?
        Hiring Danny Hope as the football coach, Matt Painter not recruiting for 4 years as he had JuJaun Johnson and E'Twaun Moore, and not updating the athletic facilities until last year.

Without question, I think Purdue will only get better. It sucks though that neither head coaches have potential to lead the program to win a B10 Championship. At Purdue, the probability at winning a national championship is 0% for football and basketball lol.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I've never been on your campus to know.. facilities decent? or Northwestern like..
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Miles is great at connecting with the fans.. he wants them to be part of the program.

this was played prior to the Wisky game. I heard the place went nuts after watching it.

This version has the Wisky game final added.. it's well done, imo..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HWZ3rZu7SDc[/ame]
            Last edited by entropy; March 11, 2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• They recently improved the basketball facilities, they look decent. Purdue also finished an amazing Co-Rec last year. The football facilities are probably the 2nd worst in the B10. There isn't anything special about Ross Ade Stadium and the tailgating (unless your fraternity has a house and one of the biggest front lawns at Purdue, like mine).

Purdue will probably upgrade the football facilities in a few years though.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• is it a money issue?

college sports has been an arms race since the 70's... but it seems worse now than ever

Comment

• and sorry to pepper you with questions. I ...sadly... just don't know much about purdue. Definately need to visit sometime.

Comment

• BUT -- Purdue is a great academic school, esp. their engineering programs. I just spent a couple of days down there visiting 2 grandkids who are enrolled there (engineering). Also, it is a very attractive campus. They have approx. 40,000 students.

Agree Ross Ade is probably not up to Big Ten standards. But Mackey Arena certainly is. They have a problem competing with Indiana for football talent and Indiana for BB talent.

Comment

• There is enough very good talent in Indiana that Purdue should be better, I think they could be lots better next season as they are very heavy on underclassman... They have the potential to regularly be a top 20-30 program...

In football, they are horrendous and I don't see any hope of them improving in the next couple years to even mediocre status. They have the basement locked in the B10 for the next year, maybe two.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                        is it a money issue?

college sports has been an arms race since the 70's... but it seems worse now than ever
                        I always thought Purdue will right in the middle when it comes to football revenue, but I did some research to back that up.
                        According to this, Purdue is #48 http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2014-01...AMS/post/45498
                        But the program had more expenses and less revenue is comparison to IU, which isn't surprising considering Ross Ade Stadium was 1/3 full half of the 2013 season.
                        Purdue is always building something, so there is a lot of money. From 2011-2012, they built a state-of-the-art new Co-Rec. They have been building new dorms and campus buildings. I already mentioned the new basketball facilities, which were built because Matt Painter demanded new facilities.

Originally posted by hodgkal View Post
                        BUT -- Purdue is a great academic school, esp. their engineering programs. I just spent a couple of days down there visiting 2 grandkids who are enrolled there (engineering). Also, it is a very attractive campus. They have approx. 40,000 students.

Agree Ross Ade is probably not up to Big Ten standards. But Mackey Arena certainly is. They have a problem competing with Indiana for football talent and Indiana for BB talent.
                        I agree, Purdue's campus is REALLY nice. There are so many nice campus buildings, areas to study, and things to do. One of the best parts of my experience as a student at Purdue has been campus life (going to class). Its really great when its warm out because I'm walking around campus all day lol.
                        Greek life has been interesting... just about everyone that gets into Purdue is far from a stereotypical frat person... so its like you have 40 fraternities / sororities of nerds lol. Seriously.
                        The engineering program is definitely great. If you get a degree in engineering at Purdue and have a decent GPA (around 3.0), you will be making $$$ right after college. I think U of M has a better overall engineering program though. And yes, the renovations at Mackey have made it solid.

Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                        There is enough very good talent in Indiana that Purdue should be better, I think they could be lots better next season as they are very heavy on underclassman... They have the potential to regularly be a top 20-30 program...

In football, they are horrendous and I don't see any hope of them improving in the next couple years to even mediocre status. They have the basement locked in the B10 for the next year, maybe two.
                        Problem is, most athletes from Indiana that are good go out of state... and I don't blame them lol.
                        1. Purdue classes are tough, no matter what your major is.
                        2. The weather at Purdue sucks. Going to Florida = smart haha.
                        3. If you were to rate universities based on how hot the girls are, Purdue would be at the bottom. Probably worst when it comes to major conference schools.
                        4. If you are really smart, you can get a better education at NW, U of M, or ND. Purdue is a great academic school, but not elite.

Yes, the basketball program should be better next season. Like you said, most of the players were underclassmen.
                        And once again, you are right about the football program. I have personally met Darrell Hazell, I think he is a great guy and has some potential. He did inherit a mass from an AWFUL coach, Danny Hope. I have followed recruiting closely since around 2007... Purdue's last 5-6 football classes have been SO BAD. They have been recruiting like a MAC team lol. Until that changes, Purdue simply won't have the talent to win more than 5-6 games.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Frat life at my house lol (25 years old)

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• LOL, nice pic!

I've always thought that having a good basketball team should be a downhill run for Purdue given the instate talent. It should be a job that attracts a good coach who can make something of that.

Comment

• I'd say Purdue>ND when it comes to academics

Comment

• ND being a small Catholic private university is tough to compare to most B10 universities who are large, public, research oriented and have many times the alumni. Without comparing individual areas of study, any comparison of universities is pretty futile.

Comment

Working...
                                X