No announcement yet.

B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So in that PDF AA provided, the fraud sounds like they are arguing the university and/or federal government are being defrauded because they are providing financial aid to the family/student that should be considered I'll gotten because they wouldn't qualify for aid if that payment was noted.

Comment

• Wait, they wouldn't qualify for a basketball scholarship? Now I'm even more confused.

Comment

• I would think they would be referring to more like the Pell grants than a scholarship.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          So in that PDF AA provided, the fraud sounds like they are arguing the university and/or federal government are being defrauded because they are providing financial aid to the family/student that should be considered I'll gotten because they wouldn't qualify for aid if that payment was noted.
          I'm confused too. I don't see how that can be it. Professionals can get scholarships in most things. It's an NCAA rule for athletes, but not a law. I received a full ride for one of my masters degrees and I was getting paid by a company to work in the field already.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Athletes are on scholarship but they wouldn't be eligible for the financial aid too if the cash they're receiving was counted as income??? I'm confused too.

Comment

I would think they would be referring to more like the Pell grants than a scholarship.
              Ahh, maybe they are skirting the income requirements? This seens maddeningly minor if that's the case.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• In regards to the fraud, they don't really get into it. Most of that 32 page document involves the setup of Person. For the fraud you have to look at section 21 where they are arguing two main things:

1. They are defrauding the university by signing knowingly false records to get federal aid money under false pretenses. Taking the federal aid money that could be used for someone else.

2. By doing this, they are placing the University at economic harm by risking their ability to make money due to possible NCAA penalties and fines.

That's what they are arguing at least. It's kind of similar to the Ed Martin case.

Comment

• #1 is nuts. #2 is a huge reach and is basically just enforcing NCAA rules. Neither strikes me as particularly criminal. #FreeTheRifleman
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Not sure what the 2nd Ammendment has to do with this, take it to the politics board!

Comment

In regards to the fraud, .....they are arguing two main things:

1. They are defrauding the university by signing knowingly false records to get federal aid money under false pretenses. Taking the federal aid money that could be used for someone else.
                      talent, why is this nuts? I think this is fraud.

I was involved in a Student Honor Board hearing about this guy that applied to a highly competitive post baccalaureate academic program and, after being accepted and starting classes, was charged with allegedly changing grades on an official under-grad transcript in order to boost his GPA. IOW, he submitted falsified records to support his admission.

The now student was cleared by the honor board. They found the then applicant had simply made an error in transcribing a grade to the application. They also thought the program director had ulterior motives in trying to remove him from the program

The case got bumped up to the Dean of Admissions for review in the normal course of handling Student Honor Board findings. The school's lawyers thought the Honor Board made an incorrect finding and built a case against this guy alleging his application was fraudulent, that allegation based on the actual submission of an erroneous grade, whether this was intentional or not.

He was confronted with the fraud charges and advised that if he didn't voluntarily withdraw, the school would file a criminal charge against him of fraud ( think they added conspiracy to commit fraud) and the case would be adjudicated in the State Superior Court if he didn't withdraw. I thought he got railroaded.

Funny, I learned much later through contacts that knew him that he did withdraw, waited a year and applied to another school and got accepted, the other school not being the wiser due to confidentiality statutes. Weird.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Maybe talent should offer his services..

Ultimately maybe the case fails on the injury part and only has the tax evasion. Tax evasion can be pretty serious, but maybe they only pay penalties. The overriding problem for the universities is it would be in the public recird.

Comment

• Four assistant coaches from NCAA basketball teams were arrested in connection with a fraud and corruption scheme, federal prosecutors announced.

Documents detail a web of corruption in which money allegedly flowed between athletes' families, coaches and others with a financial interest in basketball — with the goal of locking in where young athletes would play, who would represent them and what clothing they would wear.

"If we take care of everybody and everything is done, we control everything," Christian Dawkins, a former recruiter for ASM who was reportedly fired for using a player’s credit card, told an undercover agent, according to one complaint.

”You can make millions off one kid."

Four assistant coaches accused of taking bribes of between $13,000 and $100,000 to convince players to hire Dawkins and other advisers were identified as Chuck Person of Auburn University, Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State University, Emanuel Richardson of the University of Arizona, and Anthony Bland of the University of Southern California.

"When you've coached Kobe Bryant, played with Phil Jackson, it goes a long way," Person, who played in the NBA, bragged on one recording quoted in the complaint. He allegedly agreed to push players to buy clothing from a bespoke clothing company owned by former NBA referee Rashan Michel, who was also charged.

Also arrested was James Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas, who was accused of paying the families of high-school standouts to sign with two universities that had sponsorship deals with the apparel giant.

The court documents don't name the colleges, but NCAA powerhouse Louisville confirmed it was part of the investigation and pledged to "cooperate fully." The other college was described as a private research university in Florida with 16,000 students and 15 varsity sports, which matches up with the University of Miami, which said it could not comment.

Working with Gatto were Merl Code, an adviser to Adidas, and Jonathan Brad Augustine, who runs an amateur basketball program sponsored by Adidas, prosecutors said. Dawkins and investment adviser Munish Sood helped broker the agreements to pay the families $250,000, court documents say.

The idea, according to investigators, was that the high-schoolers would matriculate at the colleges sponsored by Adidas; sign with Dawkins and Sood, who would see a windfall when the players joined the NBA; and ink a sponsorship deal with Adidas when they went pro.

"You guys are being introduced to ... how stuff happens with kids and getting into particular schools and so this is kind of one of those instances where we needed to step up and help one of our flagship schools...secure a five-star caliber kid," Code said to Sood and an undercover agent in one recording.

The investigation was carried out largely with the assistance of a cooperating witness, identified Tuesday as Louis Martin Blazer, a former Pittsburgh financial adviser who found himself in hot water in 2014 for siphoning money from professional athletes whose accounts he managed to finance movie and music ventures.

He ultimately pleaded guilty to identity theft, making false statements and documents, wire fraud and security fraud. Under a cooperation agreement, prosecutors agreed to inform the sentencing judge of Blazer's help in the NCAA case.
                          Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I guess this is why it's taking Mueller so god damn long/

Comment

• I have little doubt that the NCAA will finally crack the whip on these cheaters and dish out some brutal punishment, like making them promise to never do it again and declaring certain prior years to be non-canon. From now on bag men will think twice about all of the pain and suffering that they are going to subject the fan base to when all of those asterisks get put into the record books!

Comment

• Seems different this time.
                                Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                                X