Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Game - osu @ M, 11/28/15, Noon, ABC National.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I liked the legends idea because there are too many guys on the team to retire numbers and because it was neat to hear the stories behind the numbers.

If I ran the world, they would be in a ring of honor and have very small patches of an embroidered name on the jersey. They would then be issued to freshman as any other number.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Since the best players wore that so called Legend Jersey, there would never another. Say Peppers started wearing one this year wich he would be under Branddon/Hoke. There is no number for him.

Comment

• Looks like the bettors, almost across the board, have osu at -1 this morning. Not likely to change. At one time it was as high as -13 (when lines first came out in late summer) to + 2.5 immediately following the MSU debacle.

Might as well throw in the towel if history is to be believed.

One site I checked has the predicted score as osu 32.2, M 31.2. I don't think either team will score that many points unless it goes into OT. The computer pick is M at + 1.5 with over under at 45, pick the over.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So, yeah, analysis is fine, to a point. I'll add these key points:

M's DL has to be disruptive in osu's backfield to have hope of keeping elliott under 100y and Barrett from looking like Denard. They're not going to do that rushing 4 like they did against PSU. Playing gap sound when running the base defensive set on run plays is more important in this game than any others. M is vulnerable here. Durkin has to be very aggressive and take the risk. I think he will.

barrett is going to have to continue his poor passing record considering M has to bring it to keep pressure on those two. That's because the screens and slants are going to be open. My sense is that barrett hasn't been particularly good at making his reads.

I like the matchup between M's DBs and osu's receivers deep. I also like DJD's scheme. I don't think jtb can make those deep throws given his skill set v. coverage and scheme.

Rudock has to continue his trend. What I like about him in this game is that he looks to have gotten comfortable with his reads. No question, he's going to have to be accurate as osu's coverage is pretty good ...... when those guys read their keys and don't get lost. That's happened. I like Jake to Butt and Darboh with an opportunity to attack the edge with Darboh and Butt, well, anywhere as he runs very good routes, in the passing game.

That is something I love about Harbaugh - play design and the coaching staff's apparent ability to coach this stuff into on filed success. None of the coaches on Hoke's offensive staff could do this ("we practiced well."). Huge improvement.

I do think ufm will advantage the emotion of his players in this game. They'll be up to prove something like MSU was against osu. But I think Harbaugh's steady hand is going to prevail.
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 27, 2015, 11:18 AM.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• If you want to plow though this, Brian does a great job of previewing osu:

Cliff notes - keep Rudock clean, get pressure on jtb mostly out of M's base D and via osu's Right Tackle and hold elliott under 100y, M wins.

Essentials WHAT Ohio State at Michigan WHERE Michigan Stadium Ann Arbor, MI WHEN Noon PM Eastern November 28st, 2015 THE LINE Ohio State -1 TELEVISION ABC TICKETS From $152 PARKING From $20 WEATHER mostly cloudy, around 40, 0% chance of rain Overview They came for our families. They came for our principles. They saw our hapless generals and ordered a scorched-earth campaign. I ate tires for six months, and then I pined for the good old days when I had tires to eat. Then I pined for the good old days when I could remember the thing that was supposed to be bad that I ate. I'm tired of it, and you're tired of it, and Jim Harbaugh just crested the ridge with the Rohirrim. Let's get it. Run Offense vs Ohio State Joey Bosa has made an effort to look like every Ohio State fan averaged together It was bizarre to watch the much-maligned Michigan State offensive line get a grip on their opposition last week and drive the Buckeyes backwards. By the second half of that game OSU was getting blown off the ball on the regular. In some ways that is reminiscent of Michigan's performance against Indiana—with the OSU offense unable to stay on the field and MSU sustaining 10+ play drives, the talented but thin Buckeye line ran out of gas. Can Michigan replicate that performance?I don't know. This is an improvement from my previous impressions. OSU's rush defense has been bipolar this season. Minnesota and Illinois collected a total of 55 yards between them, but Big Ten games other than those two haven't gone nearly as well: Indiana (mostly) minus Jordan Howard: 55 carries, 176 yards, 3.2 YPC Maryland: 42 carries, 253 yards, 6 YPC PSU: 40 carries, 195 yards, 4.9 YPC Rutgers: 29 carries, 104 yards, 3.6 YPC MSU: 51 carries, 203 yards, 4 YPC Michigan's mediocre rush offense (51st in S&P) doesn't project to blow up, especially since the main back, De'Veon Smith, is the opposite of a burner. Michigan also does not run the quarterback on purpose much, and both Indiana and Maryland's production was heavily dependent on QBs running a long way. MSU also featured a heavy dose of QB run. That's not an option for M. OSU runs out one of those MSU-ish 4-3 over, quarters defenses with a LB/S hybrid over the slot. With Penn State running more or less the same defense, all three of Michigan's main division competitors are in the same boat. Michigan has not been able to run against this style of defense all year, but there were differences between PSU and MSU, specifically at safety. PSU is much more conservative with their safeties and gives their LBs pass responsibilities; MSU is in your face and lets their LBs go. OSU is much closer to Penn State. You can do that when you have talent coming out your ears. Joey Bosa, of course, leads the way: Nor is Bosa just a pass rusher — he’s equally destructive in run defense, and that’s reflected in his +58.2 overall grade, which leads all edge rushers. … Bosa’s season has been so impressive that we felt he should be seen as a Heisman contender, even though we know that the Heisman is rarely awarded to a defensive player. Adolphus Washington is a high quality DT in the vein of Maurice Hurst—not huge but in your backfield a lot. The other two DL are fine but don't jump off the page; the linebacker corps is very good. Seth has more details in FFFF. Expect Michigan to try out those wide receiver screens when OSU aligns so they might work; OSU may be able to shut those down anyway if Darron Lee and Vonn Bell are on point. On the interior they may be able to crease the weaker half of the OSU line and maybe Washington if he gets tired, but consistent production is difficult to see. When it comes to the actual ground game, I don't know. I can see the left side of Michigan's line winning enough battles to put a tailback in a productive position, but barely, and Michigan's tailbacks have not done well with "barely" this year. Ohio State will try to win with their 7 up front before trying anything special, which should give Michigan some opportunities if they can just match OSU's ability. The X factor is Jabrill Peppers, who's started lining up as a tailback the last couple weeks. Peppers has shown flashes of the kind of ability he demonstrated in high school… …and may be able to break a couple things that swing this matchup to a draw. Tough sledding awaits either way. KEY MATCHUP: JABRILL PEPPERS versus THE SPOOOOKY GHOST OF TOM HARMON. [Hit THE JUMP for Butt vs Bell, rushing offense, 404 passing O not found, and WHAT ARE THOOOOSE kickers]

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              ``Should we send out a terribly coached QB wearing a very ridiculous look-at-me number that offends much of the fan base?''

I always thought maybe just for the bowl game. But man did it get annoying. I recall being at the game where suddenly Kovacs was switched to #11. All day it was confusing.
              If they had to do it for one game, I would've voted for Homecoming. Maybe even have the current players have HARMON, FORD, etc. on the back instead of their name. Make it a real tribute, instead of a marketing ploy.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                If they had to do it for one game, I would've voted for Homecoming. Maybe even have the current players have HARMON, FORD, etc. on the back instead of their name. Make it a real tribute, instead of a marketing ploy.
                I like that idea. Honor the names of the jerseys on special days. As others have said, wearing a legends jersey number means no option create a legendary number of your own.

I look forward to seeing the #5 retired some day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I never liked the legends jerseys. Bad idea, worse execution.
                  Yep- the only legends that I care about are the ones that destroy ohio and make their fans cry.

Comment

• Urban Meyer is taking over the offense this week, and Greg Mattison doesn't know how to stop him. D.J. Durkin might, but he doesn't have the athletes. I know this is just "wild ass predictions on what will happen based on nothing but feelings and subjectivity" according to JB, but I believe the outcome will simply come down to who gains more yardage via the run. Michigan can't run, so Rudock will be forced to throw 35 - 45 times. He'll pass for over 250 yds., but an INT and a repentant Ezekiel Elliott will be the difference. Final score prediction: osu 31, M 23.
                    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Sounds about right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                        ...... Urban Meyer is taking over the offense this week, and Greg Mattison doesn't know how to stop him. D.J. Durkin might, but he doesn't have the athletes.
                        Well, Mattison and Durkin, as JH is fond of saying, aren't doing the blocking and tackling so, there is that.

Hurst and Wormley will play a part in the middle doing that and so will whoever happens to be out there edge rushing (probably Taco). RJS at WDE (Buck) and Williams and Henry at SDE will do their part. The matchups here, at worst, are even. Maybe a slight edge to M given osu's RT, chase ferris is, according to osu reports a "turnstile."

I think I have this down now with respect to how ufm likes to run to the perimeter. Inverted veer among others. The trick to hold this attack down is to force elliott outside where he has to deal with Peppers, et.al. Doom if he or barrett at the mesh successfully run inside. I think M can do this.

Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                        Michigan can't run, so Rudock will be forced to throw 35 - 45 times. He'll pass for over 250 yds., but an INT and a repentant Ezekiel Elliott will be the difference. Final score prediction: osu 31, M 23
                        Smith ran well enough to pose a threat v. PSU. He didn't rack up a lot of yards but he got some crucial ones against Franklin's D which is pretty much a mirror image of osu's with osu having a bunch more talent.

M's play, which is really a long handoff if it works out that way, is the IZ/WR Screen. Rudock has to make his read on this play based on where the S aligns. Inside, go outside to to the WR; outside, run the IZ with Smith. Rudock did a ton of this v. PSU mainly because the CB played loose conceding that part of the field to make sure there were 7 potentially 8 guys in the box. Pick your poison. M is good at this. They don't have to rack up huge numbers on the ground just move the chains. Osu may be ready for this. We'll see.

Doubters are being overly pessimistic. I appreciate it based on past results but this is a WAYYYY different M team osu, in all its championship glory, is facing tomorrow. Like I said. No one is going to be comfortable in this game, on both sides. It'll be fun.
                        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 27, 2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• Fuck ohio state. Its time for The Game.
                          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• What's the scoop on Drake Johnson? He put up a lot of yardage v.s. osu last year. I know he's had "something he's working on" or whatever it is that Harbaugh says, but, man, I'd love to see him healthy tomorrow. He could make a difference.

Another thing: Do you think the staff goes back to the tape from two years ago to see what Gorgeous Borges pulled out of his big fat fanny? I mean, it's worth a look isn't it? Offense gained about 600 yds. that day.

Comment

• Damn, this game has meant a lot to me:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PK3jQElZTY"]LEGACY -- From Bo to Harbaugh (Michigan Football Hype Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Jon ....... Exactly.

Rocky ....... The thing about Borges, who called the same kinds of plays the Harbaugh rolls out, both of them being sort of WCO guys, involves several elements. One, it never looked like what he was trying to do made sense. He'd run a screen into defenses that ran a lot zone. It would get hammered. When the opportunity presented itself to get a play off in man coverage, he'd call in a run play with 8 guys in the box. Negative play. Two, all of this could have been due to Denard and Gardner not getting it. But that's on Borges because he was the QB coach. Big FAIL.

DG nearly won the osu game on his own. I don't remember the stats at all. I have blocked out all of that but he was a one man show in that near win. It's a shame he didn't get that two point conversion. There's speculation that the call itself, running th same play as the the one before it that got stuffed, came from Brandon. Anyway .......

Borges has zero to offer regarding beating osu. Zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X