Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 137, 2016 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great post, Jeff.

I agree that the OL is probably in "show me" status, as far as I'm concerned. I want to see the improvement, before I believe they're improved. Signs pointing to improvement are there, but you're right, we need to see it on the field, against tough competition.

I agree that the winner of the BTE could have 2 conference losses. Your scenario is realistic as far as Michigan's projected losses in the B1G. I can see Michigan winning at MSU, but then losing at Iowa, then unfortunately coming up short in Columbus, giving them 2 conference losses.

I think injuries (or lack thereof) will play a role, especially on the OL. I think they could handle a couple of losses due to injury on the DL, because of the depth. They have anywhere from 8-10 guys who can play.

I was just watching "Path To The Playoffs" on ESPN a moment ago. All except Danny Kannel agreed that OSU will win the conference title. Kannell picked Michigan (gasp!)... One point they brought up that I found interesting is what the national focus is on at Michigan. Its not on the QB race, or who's going to be the starting RB, or who will be the new linebacking crew. All the focus is on Harbaugh. Everyone is talking about him. Which (they said) is probably what he's wanted all along. He wants the focus OFF his players and on him, so that the players can concentrate on their performance. I don't know if that's what Harbaugh has done or not, but he does have the CFB world's attention.

I think any prediction right now is just way too premature. A lot remains to be settled as far as who is going to play what positions, and all that. We'll have a better idea of where Michigan is headed after their first two conference games. If they have defeated both Penn State and Wisconsin in succeeding weeks, then we can start making predictions. At least that's how I see it.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Thank you, Jeff. I think we largely see things the same way. FTR, I don't think whoever the B10 gets into the CFP will have a good shot. M, IMO, is way to pedestrian on offense. MSU isn't really elite on either side of the ball. And OSU would need about a 90% hit rate on the kids filling in-especially in the back 7.

M is probably two more recruiting classes from bwing CFP elite mostly because Hoke's final class and JH's first class are way subpar. They'll get there, though.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I don't want to predict a playoff season, but I keep coming back to this...

"If not now, when?"

By my count, there will 15 senior starters.

Glasgow
        Wormley
        Charlton
        Gedeon
        Lewis
        Thomas
        Hill
        Stribling/Clark
        Butt
        Smith
        Kalis
        Braden
        Magnusson
        Chesson
        Darboh

Plus two guys who have potential to leave early if they impress this year:

Peppers
        Hurst

15 guys (at least) who will be gone a year from now, many of whom were big time blue-chippers or at least Top 300 guys. Wow. We also have the most highly touted high school recruit this year in about five years. If that's not elite, then when will we be elite? Harbaugh's recruiting is about the same level of Hoke's and right now he has a ton of Hoke's blue chip seniors. He has now had a couple of years to get the most out of Kalis, Braden, etc. What excuse do we have to be weak anywhere on the field other than maybe Left OT? We've got two new LB starters but one of those guys has been getting lots of playing time for three years. Talent, experience (lots of both) at every position on the field except Newsome at LT and whoever starts next to Gedeon.
        Last edited by Hannibal; August 21, 2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I agree, Hanni.

Its this year or bust.

Comment

• Really?

Comment

• I'm counting on a big year with the 2016 team as the launching pad for another top 5 recruiting class to get us past the relative shortcomings of the '14 and '15 classes. Everything depends on this year! I have a hunch we'll have some positive surprises this season.

I'm a believer that everything goes in cycles. When things are down pressures to improve take over. And when they're back up complacency tends to set in. There is tremendous pressure at the moment to get back on top and all the moving parts will be pushing in the same direction.

Comment

• ^

'14 and '15 classes were tiny and were weak in star power to boot. '17 could be a struggle to win 8 regular season games though hopefully, the young talent HARBUAGH!! is recruiting develops a lot over the course of the season and is ready to produce in '18.

I just see the talent/experience level from the '17 squad being similar to Sparty, Wisconsin, Penn State, and obviously less than Florida, and Ohio State.

Comment

• I'll take the over on 8 wins in '17.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                    I'll take the over on 8 wins in '17.
                    I will too.

The team will be young, but there will still be a lot of talent out there.

Comment

• Too many variables for me to really consider but M won't be contending for the B1G let alone nationally. No idea if other B1G universities have a ton of talent leaving after this season too.

Comment

• They'll be in the B1G hunt. I'll take that bet too. OSU will win it though.

Comment

• I think they'll win 9. Florida, @PSU and @Wisky could easily produce 2 losses. And I think they'll lose to OSU.

But that's way too premature. M will return their QB and have lots of young talent. Could work out.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Exactly, way too early to invest much time in forming an argument, but that's where I'm at right now.

Comment

• I forgot about that game against Florida. I would predict a disaster there were it not for the fact that I'm not sure if Florida has got much of a coach. I guess we'll see. Florida, MSU, OSU, @Wisky, and @PSU. PSU will finally be in gear unless Franklin is just a bust. That could be five losses right there.

We will have what I expect to be a ridiculously good set of skill players on offense trying to carry a really really shaky offensive line. Our defense will be devastated by graduation and all of the misses&decommits of the 14 and 15 classes.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; August 21, 2016, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Florida's coach is good. He had QB issues that weren't of his making. The Gators were 4-8 and 7-5 the two years before he got there.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X