This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone watch the game?

I saw on mgoblog that we went 19-45 from beyond the arc.

Comment

• Tonight's game reminded me a bit of the EMU game a couple of years ago. However, the fellas made just enough plays to pull it out.

Since the non-conference schedule is done, it's time to do a little check-in.

They're 10-3 with 3 quality wins (SMU, Marquette & Texas) and one disappointing loss. The UCLA loss was expected. They look like the best team in the nation. USC is a top 25 team and it was in their gym, but I do wish that had at least been competitive. Va Tech, though they are 10-1, is a loss that shouldn't have happened.

GOOD: Mo Wagner has been rolling lately. Just getting buckets at a very efficient rate. He still needs to improve as a rebounder and defender but he's becoming Michigan's best player and also is probably serving as a good advertisement to Mo Bamba that a big man can thrive under Beilein.

BAD: None of the freshman look like they'll make much of an impact this season. Watson's played pretty well when he's on the court but he's just too deep in the rotation. I thought Simpson would be more dynamic than he's been. I wouldn't really say he's played poorly. He's just not very noticeable. I don't know what his stats were from tonight but in the first 12 games, he's only taken 13 shots. He's in the "game manager" role right now, I guess. I'd just like to see some signs that he'll be ready to take the reigns next year and not have defenses playing 5 on 4. One positive for X is he's 2nd on the team in steals which is pretty damn impressive for a guy only playing 10 minutes a game.

UGLY: All the empty seats at Crisler. They may not be world beaters but this is a fairly entertaining team to watch. I know the last 3 games have been against less-than A-list competition and that there's very cold temps, construction on Stadium and blah, blah, blah but the place wasn't even full for the Texas game. The student base seems to be dwindling.

I plan on going to a couple of games this season, so I guess I'll enjoy better seats.

Comment

• I was thinking about Simpson in precisely that way, yeah. And I dunno about the '17 3-star PG. Michigan needs to prep Simpson for next year, but it also needs to focus on the best available perimeter one-and-done to play with Wagner and Wilson next year. Are they in on any elite PGs? In about a month's time they should be selling any uncommitted top-20 wing or PG on coming in and playing with these elite bigs.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          I was thinking about Simpson in precisely that way, yeah. And I dunno about the '17 3-star PG. Michigan needs to prep Simpson for next year, but it also needs to focus on the best available perimeter one-and-done to play with Wagner and Wilson next year. Are they in on any elite PGs? In about a month's time they should be selling any uncommitted top-20 wing or PG on coming in and playing with these elite bigs.
          With really only one scholarship available, I think they are putting all of their eggs in the Bamba basket. They had an offer out to 24/7 #20 SF Brian Bowen but didn't make his final 6.

While he's not ranked in the top-20, Poole is looking pretty good. Don't forget Mathews either. I also like what I've seen of Livers. I know he's listed as a PF but he looks a bit like a poor man's Grant Hill to me. Very athletic. Next year will be the most athletic squad Michigan has had in some time. Wilson, Mathews and Livers are all above-the-rim players and Watson has some springs too.

I would think that Brooks was recruited to be the back-up PG so Simpson really needs to develop over the next 20-25 games and summer.

Back to this year, I'm hoping the mini-break the players have now will help put some spring back in DJ Wilson. He seemed very passive tonight and hasn't had a big rebounding game in a couple of weeks.

I'm also hoping that Teske earns some PT. Thus far, he's looking like he should've been redshirted. Too soft for a 7-footer that isn't a rail.

Comment

• Just caught up with the Iowa game. Frustrating. Up 63-55 with 6 or so left and just couldn't build any cushion. Iowa gave them changes. Very inconsistent on D, which is certainly better than consistently awful for years. Still. Need to beat second-tier teams. Unfortunate. I bet the selection committee will be brutal to the conference this year.

Comment

• Not impressed.

Comment

• No one should be impressed right now. Too much ball stopping, particularly from the seniors.

Comment

• I'll be so happy when I no longer have to watch Derrick Walton pound the air out of the ball, ignore open teammates and play matador defense. I don't know if there has been a senior player in the Beilein era that's shown less improvement over 4 years than this kid.

Comment

• Never thought Walton had much upside but he should be running the offense and creating a lot more opportunities for his teammates.

Comment

• He's got a center that no one in the B1G can guard, including today. But the next post entry pass I see him throw will be the first.

Wagner had 17 points and I don't know that any of them were assisted. A real point guard would have gotten him 40.

Comment

• Exaggeration but correct. Walton's a good shooter who can dribble the ball up the floor, not a true point guard than can run an offense and make his teammates better. He's held the offense back significantly over his career in addition to the team lacking others having the ability to penetrate and create higher scoring chances.

Comment

• I'm starting to despise Beilein. Am I wrong for that?
                          AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

• If Beilein doesn't make the tourney this year then he should be fired.

But he won't be.

Comment

• JB is always a bridesmaid for difference makers in recruiting, nearly everyone of his top targets land elsewhere...

Requiring a kid to step on campus to earn a offer doesn't work and I'm sure most recruits don't even consider us till they have an offer. Recruits don't feel they've earned the offer in AAU, high school and don't think they need to jump through hoops to earn anything else.

We've landed lots of 'supplemental' talent from Indiana, Michigan & Ohio but can never get those outside our backyard that would turn a mediocre team into a good one or a good one, elite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                                I don't know if there has been a senior player in the Beilein era that's shown less improvement over 4 years than this kid.
                                Zak Irvin may be a close 2nd. He is a "chucker" who sucks on D.

Comment

Working...
                                X